Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Breastfeeding & low BMI

Hi, I have tried to look for these answers in the forums but I just need a more specific opinion. I am going to try my best to keep it short.

We want to TTC a girl in June 2016, I started LE Diet in Jan at 1700 calories, 40g protein & 40-50g fat per day. I am still breastfeeding my 2 yrs, 3 month old quite often, he loves it way too much. My first AF returned two days before his second birthday in Nov then December I had AF but then in Jan I started on the LE Diet at a BMI of approx 19.8 and lost a lot of weight quickly and have since dropped to BMI of 18.3. I have upped my calories to 1900 now to maintain at that weight and so far so good. My January AF was light spotting for four days. I think I have stopped ovulating because of the weight loss. When my AF returned in November last year I was eating a lot of boy friendly foods and at about the same BMI I conceived my DS.

I have now being taking Vitex from AF-O and am still temperature charting and am going to test using OPK's at the "expected time" of ovulation. This will now be my second missed AF.

I also want to do the exercise but since Im already starting with too little weight to lose I am rather going to wait closer until the time maybe April/May and up my calories and then do the exercise.

I would like to know what I should do to bring my ovulation back. Also will BCP work? I have not been on it for ten years as I did not like the effect it had on my system. Alternatively is Clomid an option? Is it necessary and when should I start to see my doctor to get it prescribed if I want to be able to use it in June or will that be too drastic of a measure? Sorry but I'm a little confused with all the information out there.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Drop vitex, do not start exercising.

I want you to up cals to 1800-2000, 50-60 g protein, 50-60 g fat. include 1 serv. full fat dairy a day, 4-6 eggs a week, 1 serv. salmon or red meat a week

Anyone below BMI 21 should not lose any weight, do not lose another ounce.

Do not go on BCP

Clomid is great if you can get it but your doctor may not want to give it to you if you admit you are still nursing. I would leave that part out if you do make an appointment to see your doctor.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If your temps confirm O, is it just the lighter AF that mskes you think you've stopped Oing? I'm a little confused. Can you post or link to your charts?

I definitely agree that you should drop the Vitex and increase overall cals to the max, and make sure you don't lose more weight. But I'm not completely sure you've lost O, based on your post.

If you can get it, I think Femara is much better when nursing and it stimulates O and sways pink like Clomid.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Atomic,

Thank you so much for your response, this is my first time ever posting on a forum and I cannot believe that both you and maiden have responded to my question because you are both like celebrities to me and I have read so many of your posts and essays its just amazing.

I will definitely drop the vitex it makes me feel nauseous, but I have been pregnancy testing just to be safe too.

Thank you for the recommendations I will do exactly that. This is what I needed to hear as I have been so very lethargic these past few days and have just not had any energy and even coffee wasn't making a difference.

I think I will go to my doctor in about a month, I will first see what stopping vitex does and then see if I can get hold of some Clomid/Femara.

5. Likes atomic sagebrush, maidentomother liked this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Maiden,

Thank you for responding to my post.

My temps do no confirm O. I have tried to add my December and January charts as images. December I was not on diet and the first AF was the last real AF I got. The next AF I have just added on the chart so that fertility friend will indicate when I was supposed to ovulate and get my period otherwise I am just charting with nothing. The ovulation indication on December chart may not be accurate as that same night I got food poisoning and was up getting sick all night and still felt terrible the morning my temp went so high. So I still cant actually confirm any O.

I am going to drop Vitex and see what that does and then in a month or so I will go see my doctor to see if I can get Femara/Clomid.

Dec chart .JPGJan chart.JPG

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi again Maiden,

Sorry to waste your time, but I just thought about what I said on the last post about putting in the AF to try make fertility friend show me when my ovulation or AF is meant to be and it is actually silly and possibly confusing. So I have edited my fertility friend without the "not there AF" and uploaded the image again.

Hope this makes it more clear.

Full chart.JPG

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For some reason your posts weren't showing up, I approved them so hopefully will get more responses.

I agree your chart does look anovulatory.

ARe you taking anything else?? Even something that seems benign like peppermint tea may inhibit ovulation.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was having a cup of peppermint tea with my lunch and I have been taking inositol the precursor ingredient to myo-inositol that is used in pregnitude and also folic acid. I have stopped having the peppermint tea but since upping my protein and fat and stopping vitex in just two days I noticed more CM so it seems to be working and does feel like my body is gearing up again. I will just have to keep charting and see how if it improves from here and also no more peppermint tea. Thank you so much.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for adding your charts! Very helpful to see them. I agree about the lack of temp shift and I would keep the one long chart for accuracy's sake.

In the past have you always gotten your cycle back for good, or have you ever had a mix of regular and longer cycles? Sometimes it can take a while for the body to adjust.

What were your cycles like before children? Did you ever have longer cycles?

While your BMI is low, many if not most underweight women have regular cycles. My BMI naturally fluctuates from 16-18 depending on diet/activity level, and I've even dropped to 14 and didn't lose O. I am probably a special case bc I have high body fat % for my size and very little muscle. Any idea on your body fat %? Do you still have good body fat stores or do they seem dramatically depleted?

It's also possible that your missing O is temporary. It's not uncommon for O to be delayed or inhibited by significant, FAST (key word here) weight changes, whether losing or gaining. Even a big and more importantly sudden change in diet & supplements can have the same effect, and you combined both. These changes can shock the body for up to 3 months. I will be surprised if you don't begin Oing soon now that you are eating more and maintaining your weight.

I'd definitely still capitalise on the long/anovulatory cycle by pushing for Clomid/Femara! Please let us know how you make out with that. Also, if you are in the US or UK you can legally order a 3 month supply of both meds from an online overseas pharmacy. PM me if you are interested and I can provide the URL of a reliable pharmacy I've used for almost 10 years.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

11. Likes Nachelle liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Julz View Post
    I was having a cup of peppermint tea with my lunch and I have been taking inositol the precursor ingredient to myo-inositol that is used in pregnitude and also folic acid. I have stopped having the peppermint tea but since upping my protein and fat and stopping vitex in just two days I noticed more CM so it seems to be working and does feel like my body is gearing up again. I will just have to keep charting and see how if it improves from here and also no more peppermint tea. Thank you so much.
    Why are you on inositol though?? Have you been told to take this?? Or just because you read it somewhere?

13. Likes XXforhubby liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast