Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Short luteal phase, need advice!

Long story...We are swaying girl and I have had a short luteal phase, anywhere from 6-9 days, since I started doing OPKs in December. However, I started doing Vitex and B6 around that time also, so after a couple months of the short luteal phase I figured it was from the supplements and dropped them. Still had a short LP so went to the OB in April and was prescribed Clomid. Lo and behold, that month I had a perfect cycle. Ovulated day 14! But we decided to skip trying that month because I knew I had a script for clomid in hand and that clomid swayed girl very strongly.(Another reason I skipped that month was that we were going on vacation to Florida in May and my husband had warned me that if I was pregnant we weren't going or I was going to have to wear long sleeves/pants the whole time bc of Zika Virus&#128580. I really thought Clomid was going to be a magical drug and I would get pregnant my first cycle.

May was my first cycle...50 mg days 5-9. Ovulated day 16. One attempt at OPK after abstain. Got my period on day 26, 2 days earlier than normal which meant a 10 day LP. Ugh!!!

2nd cycle I did 50 mg again, days 3-7. Had 7 days of high strips on my OPK, finally got a peak on day 20 so i assume I ovulated day 21. So upsetting!!

My question is...I know a lot of people on here have used Clomid for swaying purposes only and also for short luteal phase. Did any of you that had normal cycles before Clomid end up having irregular cycles while on it, either longer or shorter or ovulating later? If you took it for short LP did it help and what dose and how long did it take? I took Pregnitude off and on for about 3 weeks in March...now I'm wondering if that is what helped my April cycle to be regular? Has anyone taken Pregnitude that had a short LP and if so, did it help?

I am wondering if I should just not Clomid next month and see if my cycle will go back to normal since it was normal my last cycle before I started it. Or not take clomid and do just Pregnitude...or take both the Clomid and Pregnitude. Or should I just give the Clomid another try? Any advice would be so so appreciated!!! 🤗😘
    I should add that I have 2 boys who we had NO problems conceiving...this is all foreign to me. At this point I just want to get pregnant before the gap between my DS2 gets any bigger, him and the 3rd baby will already be almost 3 years apart at this point.😞
    - 2010, - 2014, TTC 2016

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hopefully atomic will chime in here as this seems very complicated but I will give you my 2 cents for what its worth.

First, are you sure your LP is only 6-9 days? OPK's can be wrong, and temps are the only way to pinpoint O day for sure. Even if you get a +OPK there is a chance you didn't ovulate or you ovulated earlier than you might be guessing if you're only guessing based on OPK's.

B6 usually lengthens LP (luteal phase) so I don't think that would be shortening it, but Vitex could have messed with LP. Vitex didn't mess with my LP but I have heard it do wacky things. Short luteal phase is usually a lack of progesterone and vitamin B is needed for the body to produce progesterone, ergo it's supposed to help lengthen LP.

A 10 day LP should be enough to get pregnant. Clomid can really mess up OPK's. When I was on clomid I was on 50 mg CD 3-7 and I got a +OPK on CD 12 and 13, so I did my attempt the night of CD 12. Thankfully I was charting my temps so I could see that I ended up ovulating on CD 12! I got a BFN that month because my attempt ended up being AFTER ovulation. The next month I did 50 mg CD 3-7 and DTD every 4 days so as not to miss the egg. I timed it so I would have an attempt on CD 11, and lo and behold I O'ed on CD 12 according to temps. (again only getting a +OPK on CD 12 and 13). Just be advised that OPK's can do wacky things on clomid!

Pregnitude is actually B vitamins, so I would not be surprised if that is what lengthened your LP and regulated your cycle. It might have been that you stopped the Vitex and B6, thinking they were both messing you up when in fact only the Vitex was messing you up and you needed the B6 for short LP.

If I were in your shoes I would do the clomid one more month, add in the pregnitude and do an attempt every 4 days and rely on OPK's, they are just more hassle then they're worth. You can do OPKs but do an attempt every 4 days so you know you'll catch the egg. If you can do it without getting really crazy about it (you know us boy moms) taking your BBT temp can let you know the exact day you ovulated for sure. But only take temps if you're not going to stress and become anal about it. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by carmella_marie; June 16th, 2016 at 10:50 PM.
    2010 2012 2015--home water birth VBA2C!!
    praying for one last

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just chiming in, I took Vitex and it totally messed up my cycles. I started O'ing between CD25-35 and my LP shortened to 11 days with spotting starting at 8DPO.
    DH (43), DW (40)

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by carmella_marie View Post
    Hopefully atomic will chime in here as this seems very complicated but I will give you my 2 cents for what its worth.

First, are you sure your LP is only 6-9 days? OPK's can be wrong, and temps are the only way to pinpoint O day for sure. Even if you get a +OPK there is a chance you didn't ovulate or you ovulated earlier than you might be guessing if you're only guessing based on OPK's.

B6 usually lengthens LP (luteal phase) so I don't think that would be shortening it, but Vitex could have messed with LP. Vitex didn't mess with my LP but I have heard it do wacky things. Short luteal phase is usually a lack of progesterone and vitamin B is needed for the body to produce progesterone, ergo it's supposed to help lengthen LP.

A 10 day LP should be enough to get pregnant. Clomid can really mess up OPK's. When I was on clomid I was on 50 mg CD 3-7 and I got a +OPK on CD 12 and 13, so I did my attempt the night of CD 12. Thankfully I was charting my temps so I could see that I ended up ovulating on CD 12! I got a BFN that month because my attempt ended up being AFTER ovulation. The next month I did 50 mg CD 3-7 and DTD every 4 days so as not to miss the egg. I timed it so I would have an attempt on CD 11, and lo and behold I O'ed on CD 12 according to temps. (again only getting a +OPK on CD 12 and 13). Just be advised that OPK's can do wacky things on clomid!

Pregnitude is actually B vitamins, so I would not be surprised if that is what lengthened your LP and regulated your cycle. It might have been that you stopped the Vitex and B6, thinking they were both messing you up when in fact only the Vitex was messing you up and you needed the B6 for short LP.

If I were in your shoes I would do the clomid one more month, add in the pregnitude and do an attempt every 4 days and rely on OPK's, they are just more hassle then they're worth. You can do OPKs but do an attempt every 4 days so you know you'll catch the egg. If you can do it without getting really crazy about it (you know us boy moms) taking your BBT temp can let you know the exact day you ovulated for sure. But only take temps if you're not going to stress and become anal about it. Just my opinion.
    Thanks so much for your input!! I did BBT for the first time this month. I did have a dip about 4 days before I ovulated and then a rise after, so it seems that I ovulated when I got the positive OPK, but prior to the dips my temps were ALL over the place. I work night shift so I think my temps are a little off because of that. Not to mention our master bedroom faces the sun and is hot in the summer and freezing in the wonder, so right now in the afternoon when I take my temp after sleeping all day after working, it is bright (despite blackout curtains) and about 80 degrees in that room. Even after the spike in my temp after ovulating I am not very far above my baseline temps though

I am leaning toward giving clomid another month. After this 3rd cycle though, my OB wants to do a semen analysis and check my tubes for blockages and I don't really want to go that route, especially if I am still ovulating late despite the Clomid.

I am just clinging to the hope that all this struggle with getting pregnant makes me more girl friendly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - 2010, - 2014, TTC 2016

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Working night shifts can make it quite hard to do BBT. When your post-O temps are not very high that means something, but I can't remember what? Low progesterone maybe?

If your LP is (potentially) the issue, why would they want to check your tubes and DH semen just yet? Why not do progesterone cream, that lengthens LP? (I am not familiar with progesterone cream but I have heard of women on it with clomid for short LP)

I would personally want to make sure LP is long enough first before doing anything more invasive (and expensive!) Maybe add pregnitude back in or your next comid month to up your progesterone to see if that lengthens LP? I would also do every 4 days if I were in your shoes so as not to miss the egg just in case OPK's are wonky.

Keeping fingers crossed that next month is your month and you won't need any tests!
    2010 2012 2015--home water birth VBA2C!!
    praying for one last

7. Likes jdd1017 liked this post
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah im confused as to why clomid was prescribed seeing as how you ovulate on your own. And it seems to make you ovulate later.....are you having 7dayspostovulation progesterone blood draw to check progesterone amount?

And yes a minimum lp of 10 days is good.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Teen 2001 Toddler 2014
    x as many as The Good L-RD would bless us with
    Currently
    Wanna be a magnet
    Challenges=hypothyroid and age
    Proverbs 13:12

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1922d6

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Short luteal phase, need advice!

Quote Originally Posted by skillet04 View Post
    Yeah im confused as to why clomid was prescribed seeing as how you ovulate on your own. And it seems to make you ovulate later.....are you having 7dayspostovulation progesterone blood draw to check progesterone amount?

Clomid is prescribed for short luteal phases. It helps in most cases, but hasn't helped me yet. My OB is going to do a progesterone level on day 3 of my next cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - 2010, - 2014, TTC 2016

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Clomid is the gold standard for lengthening LP but on occasion it doesn't fix it. I do want to assure you though, that 10 days is enough to get pregnant.

No one can say why your cycle was normal in April. May have been dropping the supps or some other reason.

I am wary of your taking Pregnitude because unless you have a proven reason to use it (moderate to severe PCOS) it will only make your problem worse.

If you're on fiber, drop it. Add in one serv. full fat dairy every day, 4-6 eggs a week, and a serving of salmon or red meat every week.

Can you tell me more about your diet and weight?

I think a call to the doctor may be in order as they may want to switch you to a different medication or add in prog. supps.

I think you need to stop doing one attempt and go to every 4 days, possibly with one more attempt at positive OPK now. It may be that you're not pregnant not because of the short LP but you're just missing O.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    B6 - I have actually seen this shorten LP for tons of people. B6 messes up things way more than it fixes them.

There are two reasons why LP gets short. One is PCOS-related where the body is mixed up and using the raw materials in fat and cholesterol to make testosterone instead of progesterone. It's almost like having too many hormones. These people can do things like vitex and pregnitude and B6 and be helped by them and since this issue is more common they have a rep for helping with short LP. But the other thing that causes short LP is TOO FEW hormones, a lack of raw materials so your body doesn't have enough to make prog. with. In this case, taking things that lower hormones like V and pregnitude are like throwing gasoline on a fire. They make things 1000 times worse. I suspect that you don't have enough raw materials due to diet and taking Vitex and B6 and Pregnitude that one month. So the solution is to stay away from those things and then give yourself those raw materials you need to make progesterone on your own.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by skillet04 View Post

Clomid is just as often used for women who are Oing on their own to correct a short LP. It is actually the gold standard treatment for that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast