Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What would you say is the most important thing in the diet to eat?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dairy is a worse way to get calcium than leafy green vegetables. But those high calcium/magnesium supplements given other studies seemed to sway pink? Perhaps there is a protein/fat connection. I get where you're going with Trivers Willard, but I still think there is chemistry you can change and it's not all about JUST starving nutrients?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ok I'm de-lurking because this is very interesting I also conceived my boys with a really high dairy diet and DD1 while eating virtually no dairy. However the baby I'm pg with now is totally unexpected DD2 and I was also eating a lot of dairy and very well-nourished... anyways...

I find this really interesting to think about and wonder about. But from a historical perspective, when humans did start keeping dairy animals it didn't matter that they had no refrigeration. Cheese and fermented dairy were ways to preserve dairy so it could be eaten longer. Plus a cow can be milked every day several months of the year. Just because yogurt is relatively new to our culture it doesn't mean it's "new" everywhere - yogurt and kefir are actually old methods of preserving milk just like cheese is, and have been around in other cultures for a long time.

Anyways, I like healthy babies so even if we do sway again (we will sway blue) I will continue to use full-fat dairy. It's the easiest protein/fat source for me to get and protein and fat = healthy babies

Would love to see more info on this as it's discussed further

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Skrimpy.

Maybe it depends where you get calcium from- dairy is just one source. And what does dairy have and do for the body? Mamer's running stuff brought me to this article about Vitamin D and Tetosterone levels-

Vitamin D - a Secret Testosterone Booster? Study Finds Potent Hormonal Benefits

Published by Brian Willett - Featured Contributor on Associated Content in Health & Wellness

Many matters surrounding the quest for lean mass gain or body fat loss can be quite difficult to understand. Does nutrient timing really matter? How much does the thermic effect of food actually influence weight loss?

Is the Glycemic Index (GI) completely irrelevant? These questions and many others plague the athletic endeavors of even the most intelligent, well-informed members of the fitness community. Thankfully, though, not everything is as complicated as those matters. One established fact is that testosterone is definitely a good thing when looking to increase muscle size and strength. The tricky part, though, is how to maximize one's levels of testosterone in a safe and legal manner.

And while there are many expensive products on the market that claim to boost testosterone, recent research has uncovered a powerful new supplement that is both inexpensive and effective. If that were not enough, the supplement is safe as well. The most surprising part - it may already be in your cabinet. So what is this mysterious supplement? Vitamin D.

Sound too good to be true? It's not. New research from the journal Clinical Endocrinology found that, in their sample of nearly 2300 men, there was a significant positive correlation between Vitamin D levels and testosterone levels. But it wasn't just that these men had more testosterone in their bodies - the group that had the highest levels of Vitamin D had more free, or biologically active, testosterone. This means the hormone could be used by the body for muscle building.

In addition, higher levels of Vitamin D prompted lower concentrations of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG). This is important because SHBG binds to testosterone and makes it biologically inactive - in other words, not useful for mass gain (1).

While this study, and the realization that Vitamin D directly influenced testosterone, is new, the connection has been demonstrated in prior research. While the scientists did not necessarily understand the causation, a 1938 study found that athletic performance was enhanced with UV exposure. In fact, the rate of progression the UV-exposed group was 7.4 percent, compared to the 1.7 percent progression of the control group (2). This is because Vitamin D, also known as the "sunshine vitamin," is present in sunlight and ultra-violet rays.

However, most people, especially in the northwest, do not get enough Vitamin D due to low levels of sunlight. Because of this, strong supplementation of Vitamin D would be needed to reap the testosterone-boosting rewards. Thankfully, Vitamin D supplements are inexpensive and readily available.

So, perhaps our source of calcium is what matters and the Vitamin D content is upping everyone's testosterone levels without even knowing it?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That a great point nuthinbutpink. Many dairy sources include extra vit d for the calcium absorbtion and another reason to avoid dairy.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, this is interesting... I conceived two of my boys while drinking Vit D fortified milk and living in the Southeast. I conceived my third boy while drinking milk from a local dairy - I think it was fortified but not sure... and just after moving to northern MI. I conceived this baby, a DD, while living here in northern MI and drinking milk that is *NOT* fortified (it's raw milk from an Amish dairy). But we did take Vit. D supplements all last winter... had stopped somewhat by the summer when the babe was conceived, though. DH, though, has never been a big milk drinker, so he wasn't getting a lot of D from fortified milk before. He did take the Vit D supplement for awhile, but found it caused his arthritis to flare up, so he'd stopped quite awhile before we conceived our current pg.

It's interesting. My Vit D titers were pretty good last winter but I didn't have them tested in the summer before this baby was conceived.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by skrimpy View Post
    ok I'm de-lurking because this is very interesting I also conceived my boys with a really high dairy diet and DD1 while eating virtually no dairy. However the baby I'm pg with now is totally unexpected DD2 and I was also eating a lot of dairy and very well-nourished... anyways...

I find this really interesting to think about and wonder about. But from a historical perspective, when humans did start keeping dairy animals it didn't matter that they had no refrigeration. Cheese and fermented dairy were ways to preserve dairy so it could be eaten longer. Plus a cow can be milked every day several months of the year. Just because yogurt is relatively new to our culture it doesn't mean it's "new" everywhere - yogurt and kefir are actually old methods of preserving milk just like cheese is, and have been around in other cultures for a long time.

Anyways, I like healthy babies so even if we do sway again (we will sway blue) I will continue to use full-fat dairy. It's the easiest protein/fat source for me to get and protein and fat = healthy babies

Would love to see more info on this as it's discussed further
    I agree about cheese, yogurt, kefir, etc (not trying to seem ethnocentric there at all). My point is, there is very little difference in gender ratio in cultures who ate these foods and cultures who didn't. IF calcium were a magic bullet, as in, eat X milligrams of calcium and you WILL get a baby girl, cultures who ate a high-dairy diet seem like they should have more daughters, even if it's only by a percentage point or two. Instead, it's the other way around and cultures who DON'T traditionally eat a lot of dairy actually have more daughters than those cultures that do. Does not compute.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by skrimpy View Post
    Hmm, this is interesting... I conceived two of my boys while drinking Vit D fortified milk and living in the Southeast. I conceived my third boy while drinking milk from a local dairy - I think it was fortified but not sure... and just after moving to northern MI. I conceived this baby, a DD, while living here in northern MI and drinking milk that is *NOT* fortified (it's raw milk from an Amish dairy). But we did take Vit. D supplements all last winter... had stopped somewhat by the summer when the babe was conceived, though. DH, though, has never been a big milk drinker, so he wasn't getting a lot of D from fortified milk before. He did take the Vit D supplement for awhile, but found it caused his arthritis to flare up, so he'd stopped quite awhile before we conceived our current pg.

It's interesting. My Vit D titers were pretty good last winter but I didn't have them tested in the summer before this baby was conceived.
    That's very interesting Skrimpy - does your husband have RA? Men with RA are more likely than the general population to carry a gene known as HLA-B15 that has been correlated with lower testosterone levels. http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/human_b....2astolfi.html (dry reading there but just so you know I'm not pulling that data out of my rear end)

One thing we have to keep in mind when analyzing any one factor (calcium intake, testosterone, etc) is that there are two parties both bringing dozens if not hundreds of factors to the table, some of which we will never even be aware of.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    That's very interesting Skrimpy - does your husband have RA? Men with RA are more likely than the general population to carry a gene known as HLA-B15 that has been correlated with lower testosterone levels. http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/human_b....2astolfi.html (dry reading there but just so you know I'm not pulling that data out of my rear end)

One thing we have to keep in mind when analyzing any one factor (calcium intake, testosterone, etc) is that there are two parties both bringing dozens if not hundreds of factors to the table, some of which we will never even be aware of.
    I agree - there is so much to go on. Outside of PGD I have to just trust that in the end it's up to God. But I like knowing I can at least try to sway the odds I am having a lot of GD with getting another DD (really hard time with my mom growing up... girls are scary :/ ) Since we want a big family I'd like to sway blue next time... as least know I've tried

DH has osteoarthritis. We've never had his testosterone levels checked but judging by his very, very healthy sex drive I would say it's OK The only big changes in DH's diet since we conceived a son is a big drop in carbohydrates to work on weight loss... maybe that influenced for a DD this time, but like you said, there are so many variables.

I should mention that when I conceived DD1, I was eating very little dairy and had a mostly vegetarian diet. I did drink soymilk at that time, which was probably fortified with calcium and vit. D. I conceived her while in college in the sunny southwest so my vit. D levels were probably good... my overall nutrition was really poor compared to what it was with the boys and this DD2 though. I have no idea what kind of a diet her bio-dad was eating. I could probably drive myself crazy with all the anecdotal factors and such but I wanted to mention for the calcium/vit D discussion in this thread.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    apparently calcium helps produce progesterone, which helps oppose excess estrogen. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1158122/ (would love to read the whole study) all swaying girl factors. Dairy adds vit d to the equation and messes this up. In fact, I just read cheese decreases progesterone production.
    Atomic0 maybe it was the DAIRY not the calcium that meddled with your girtl sway?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast