Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

2 miscarriages in a row, next steps?

I'm having my second miscarriage, which I know is probably just bad luck, but since my cycles have been a bit messed up all year I was wondering if that could be a contributing factor and if anyone has any insight or suggestions?
    Previously my cycles have always been on the longer side (~5 weeks), but regular, with a 12-14 day LP.

I'm still breastfeeding my 2 year old and only got my cycle back earlier this year (18 months pp). Started the LE diet after that first period (I'll call that cycle 0).

Cycle 1: ovulated CD29 but a shorter than usual LP of 9 days. Still breastfeeding and sudden calorie restriction so short LP probably not surprising.

Cycle 2: spotting from CD32-37. Never had mid-cycle spotting before in my life until now! Quit the LE diet because I was hangry and frustrated at not ovulating. Finally ovulated on CD49 and conceived, ended in miscarriage at 8 weeks (blighted ovum).

Cycle 3: Back on LE diet, but increased limits. Mid-cycle spotting again from CD24-29, then possibly ovulated CD36 (I was sick all month so my bbt was all over the place). 10 day LP.

Cycle 4: Spotting from CD14-17. Ovulated CD30 and conceived, miscarriage at 7 weeks.

Further background:
    I'm 34. First child was unplanned, second child was conceived on cycle 4 of trying (very early CP on cycle 3).
    Weight is around 51-52 kg (BMI around 18.5. I was only 48kg when I conceived my second, but was taking prenatals and fish oil all year prior to conception which might have helped offset being underweight?).
    Exercise (walking with the pram) 5-6 days/week.
    On the LE diet I was having around 1800 cal/50g protein/60g fat per day. Only lost the ~2kg I gained while pregnant a few months ago.
    Breastfeeding is down to twice/day, but have very little milk in there!
    When not pregnant I have 1 glass of wine in the evening most days.
    Don't smoke or take any other medication or have any other health conditions.
    I've been taking folate (500mg), and a combined folic acid + iodine. Added fish oil and vit D following BFP (hadn't switched to prenatal since I didn't want to bother until I knew it was viable!)

So again I know it's probably just bad luck, and I'm getting older so a miscarriage or two isn't surprising. But I guess I'm concerned about this new development of spotting every cycle before I finally do ovulate, I'm wondering if that's an indication that hormones still aren't right or I'm not producing a healthy egg when I finally do pop one out?
    Any supplements that might help?
    Anything I can do to improve egg quality?
    Should I try again next cycle or wait?

I should also note that I'm in the UK so don't have a regular OB/GYN or doctor to ask these questions to, and a GP won't refer for further tests or anything unless one has had 3 miscarriages in a row, hence me relying on the internet for advice!
    swaying for a girl

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bump?
    Summary in case my OP was too long:
    Long, irregular cycles with lots of spotting before I eventually ovulate. Apparently no problem conceiving, but don't progress past ~5 weeks. Anything I can do to improve egg quality or regulate cycles a bit?
    swaying for a girl

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh gosh sorry, I read this and got interrupted and must have shut down. Thanks for bump.

How were you determining ovulation?

How much fish oil did you begin taking?

The first thing I'd do is up limits to 1800-2000 (MORE than just 1800), protein to 60 g, fat to 65.

Prenatals and fish oil don't "undo" too restrictive of a diet and too low a weight. Your body does adjust to lower weights over time. (I mention this because I have seen gobs of people take fish oil and prenatals to compensate for too restrictive a diet and it doesn't work. THat is not a viable strategy. Only eating more will help)

None of this indicates anything about the health of your egg. But why rest on our laurels when we can make some changes that will improve your chances of catching the golden egg when it shows up?
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_deku_scrub View Post
    bump?
    Summary in case my OP was too long:
    Long, irregular cycles with lots of spotting before I eventually ovulate. Apparently no problem conceiving, but don't progress past ~5 weeks. Anything I can do to improve egg quality or regulate cycles a bit?
    In many cases I'd have you add in coq10 but the trouble is, I think you're not eating enough as it is, and it can lower blood sugar too far. I don't think this is an egg quality issue necessarily. (and to be honest, supplements really honestly don't prevent egg quality issues anyway)

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    How were you determining ovulation?

How much fish oil did you begin taking?
    OPKs and BBT. I know some people say temping stresses them out but it's been a part of my morning routine for ages, I don't find it a hassle at all. OPKs on the other hand! I might just go with E4D next time and skip the constant peeing on sticks...

Fish oil: 200mg EPA/250mg DHA, taken sporadically over the past month. Just the same supermarket brand I took in my last pregnancy. (I feel strongly about taking fish oil for brain development in pregnancy - I get pretty much zero dietary omega 3s, and will always wonder if that contributed to my first child having learning disabilities. So supplement with fish or krill oil for pregnancy and breastfeeding ever since!)

I've been off the LE diet for 5 weeks and gained a few pounds (pregnancy hormones + so much christmas chocolate, dangerous combo lol), is that enough to have undone previous efforts and restart the diet clock? I've mostly continued with the exercise since I try to do that for general health anyway.
    swaying for a girl

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You're finding the OPK and temping coincide, then?

I'm fine with that level of fish oil and I don't think since you've been on it so long it can be causing issues. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't causing the spotting, which it can do at too high a dose and even at lower doses if people aren't used to it.

I would just pick it up again with diet from here. I don't believe in "restarting the diet clock." The loss has some effects for the sway as wel because it's depleting. Just move on from here.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You're finding the OPK and temping coincide, then?
    Yep, perfectly.

I'm fine with that level of fish oil and I don't think since you've been on it so long it can be causing issues. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't causing the spotting, which it can do at too high a dose and even at lower doses if people aren't used to it.
    No I've only had the pre-O spotting this year, which is also the first year in ages that I haven't taken regular fish oil!

I would just pick it up again with diet from here. I don't believe in "restarting the diet clock." The loss has some effects for the sway as wel because it's depleting. Just move on from here.
    Well that's good, though I don't think it was a particularly depleting loss - even though I got to 7 weeks, it was just like a regular (light) period, I guess it stopped developing pretty early and my body reabsorbed it? :/
    But given my track record it'll be at least a month until I ovulate again so that gives me a few weeks at least to get back on it!

I'll endeavour to maintain my current weight and not lose any. And I think I've almost got the toddler down to just one feed a day which should hopefully help too (I am a very over breastfeeding after 2+ years but the kid is still boob-obsessed!)

Thank you again so much for your support on this site, after a couple of losses it really helps just to feel listened to and have my concerns and experience acknowledged! Not something I got from any of the medical staff I've seen recently unfortunately
    swaying for a girl

8. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think we are definitely on the right track - I'm so happy to be of help however I can. Please let me know how I can be of assistance.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just got a positive OPK at CD20! But no other O symptoms, very different to my last few cycles where I've had loads of mid-cycle cramping and spotting and taken forever to ovulate. Hopefully a good sign!
    But annoyingly, we DTD 2 nights ago (which would be O-3 if I do ovulate in the next 24 hours), so now I have to choose between leaving it that or adding another attempt. I know what the advice is because I've seen it written on these forums many times before : "add an attempt for better odds of conception or leave it for better odds for swaying", but now I have to decide argh!
    swaying for a girl

11. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you should attempt again. O-3 has been SUCH poor results for us and we want you to get pregnant so we don't chance the issues with diet arising again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast