Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working out

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Working out

Hi again. Sorry, I keep thinking of new questions. Why have I seen that (for a pink sway) no exercise is better than a ton? Does this hold up in the data results? I’m one of those people who can work out 6 days one week and 2 the next if I’m really busy. I just don’t see how dropping my workouts all together would sway pink. I never exercised when I had my boys. So if I dropped my workouts I would feel like I was going backwards. Thanks in advance
    2007 2009 2011
    Prayed and swayed for a little
    2020 I still can’t believe we have a girl!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know atomic will pipe in, but since I and a few others were just talking about it -- it used to seem like all or nothing exercise wise seemed to be the extremes for pink sways but lately seems hard exercise yields much better results and a lot of moms of all boys had piped up there and in tje "how we made boys" threads that they were couch potatoes or more moderate exercisers. In my case, I was a hardcore exercise bunny before DD -- 7+ hours a week.

3. Thanks clarkrl2, atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks so much! Very helpful. I’ve noticed that my most physically fit friends do tend to have more girls. I think I’m going to suck up and start doing the elliptical in my basement on the days I can’t make my fitness classes. My problem is I love group fitness and outdoors activities like walking or biking. I don’t like to go walking or biking alone. Last year I was in great shape and really good at going 6 days a week. I’m starting to wonder if i should skip trying this month and focus on getting really fit.
    2007 2009 2011

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a nurse and work 3 12 hour shifts a week. I’m always walking back and forth down the hallways in the hospital, pushing my computer down the halls, pushing patients in wheelchairs, etc. would this count as exercise? I was going to try to do the couch potato route for swaying as I don’t know if I would have the time to workout 4 days a week for a hour each day. But do you think my work would count as moderate exercise and sway boy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have two sweet little boys, desperately praying for pink this time!

2005 2009 Praying for

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That’s a tough one. It burns calories to have a active job. I think as long as there are frequent breaks and you are not really raising your heart rate like you do with cardio it wouldn’t could it as a work out. Just my take on workouts. I’m interested to see what Atomic thinks of my current workout routine.
    2007 2009 2011

7. Likes Maureenhdez liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Many of these things originated as me looking at studies and the Trivers Willard Hypothesis and thinking "If this, then that".

Since we have studies that show muscle mass may be associated with more boys conceived, we had you guys try to add muscle for boys and lose it for girls. There are two ways to lose muscle, one is with intense cardio and the other is with no exercise. So we assumed that both would sway. But over time we've seen the exercise get great results and the couch potato get less good results (still better than 50-50). Now, we don't fully know if that's because the couch potato people are less strict overall (a fair few of them definitely fall into that category!) while the exercisers are often very dedicated. Very well may be the case.

But speculation aside, exercise has been unignorable in terms of results. Even when people couldn't get up to the full amount of 7 days a week, they were still getting good results. Plus, I started having people with insulin issues doing moderate exercise (because of benefits to lowering blood sugar) and even they got good results. Now, I still have the highest faith in the full amount of exercise but I have (and for the past several years now) am urging people to exercise in most cases.

Also, I still do believe that couch potato is on the whole better than moderate exercise. Diet and exercise work in TANDEM and so the moderate exercise is risky especially when people do not do well on diet and gain some weight, particularly while eating a lot of protein. Since I can't always control people's diets, I do still prefer the main choice for anyone without insulin resistance to be between the full cardio and couch potato and NOT moderate exercise. I think that moderate exercise (even though you can get a girl with any level of exercise, even moderate, provided you have lost at least a little weight on a lower protein diet) is by and large too risky for most people to do and I'd rather see anyone who is not dieting OR are doing French/IG type diets with tons of calories and protein from dairy, do couch potato instead of moderate exercise.

Best - Diet + cardio exercise 60 min 6-7 days a week
    Better - Diet + cardio exercise 60 min 4-5 days a week
    Ok for those with insulin resistance - Diet + moderate exercise less than 60 min, 4 days a week
    Ok for those who have no weight to spare - Diet + couch potato
    Tolerable but I feel is risky - Diet + at least SOME weight loss, even if only a lb + mod exercise less than 60 min 4 days a week
    AVOID - Mod. exercise plus weight gain on high nutrient, particularly high protein diet
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

9. Likes clarkrl2 liked this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks so much! Super helpful
    2007 2009 2011

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For my sway I walked 60min 4-5x a week. That was in addition to my 3, 12 hour shifts per week (Also a nurse!). With my boys I did no exercise and was not working as an RN at the time. Good luck!
    Two adorable & one sweet baby GIRL
    Our family is complete!

12. Likes Noemi2017 liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrl2 View Post
    That’s a tough one. It burns calories to have a active job. I think as long as there are frequent breaks and you are not really raising your heart rate like you do with cardio it wouldn’t could it as a work out. Just my take on workouts. I’m interested to see what Atomic thinks of my current workout routine.
    Oh I'm sorry I missed this question.

I make exceptions for people who work long hours. This is because they do it for MANY hours a day. EVen if moderate intensity, when it lasts that long it has the same benefits as shorter, more intense bursts. So even if you don't ever go at it as hard as someone exercising, it does still count. I don't want anyone on their feet for 8-12 hour days then trying to add an hour of cardio onto that.

Plus, the good news is, that even just walking for an hour counts. So you don't ever really have to get your heart racing or anything, it's ok to go walk the dog or the kids or whatever you need to do. The exception is housework though because firstly I feel people stop and start too much (and it's rare to do housework all day, unlike with nursing) plus we've seen a few people try to claim housework as exercise and it did not seem to sway pink for them.

14. Likes Maureenhdez liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureenhdez View Post
    I am a nurse and work 3 12 hour shifts a week. I’m always walking back and forth down the hallways in the hospital, pushing my computer down the halls, pushing patients in wheelchairs, etc. would this count as exercise? I was going to try to do the couch potato route for swaying as I don’t know if I would have the time to workout 4 days a week for a hour each day. But do you think my work would count as moderate exercise and sway boy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoops I meant to quote THIS question above! Sorry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast