Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NIPT wrong?

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

NIPT wrong?

I got the NIPT (harmony) at 10 weeks and it came back boy.

I just had my 20 week ultrasound and got a firm "nope, that's a labia" from the tech. When I said I'd had the harmony test and that it was a boy, she got her supervisor who also said she would bet money on girl.

I am so confused

I really don't want to get my hopes up, it took WEEKS for the gender disappointment to go down enough that I don't cry thinking about all the things I won't get to ever do with the daughter I assumed I would have.

Anyone had the test give the wrong gender? I've googled and it's mostly people getting girl results on NIPT and having a boy because they don't collect enough of the chromosome?

Argh.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Twopink - that is so confusing. I hope the technicians are right and it is a little pink bundle!

A question for atomic because I am worried about NIPT tests being inaccurate (whenever I get pg/take them)... is it more likely to get a false girl or false boy reading? If they are testing for Y chromosomes to show up in the mother's blood, would it be impossible to detect something that isn't there? So even if there is a tiny bit of Y chromosome that HAS to mean baby boy? Whereas if you got all X chromosome there is a tiny chance they missed the baby's Y and it could still be a boy? Hope this question makes sense

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you met with your OB to discuss?
    Ive been doing ultrasound for 5 years and the only time I've seen a NIPT say boy and ultrasound said girl the baby was a girl but had an abnormality with the sex chromosomes confirmed by further testing (I believe she had Turners syndrome but can't 100% remember). It also could have been a mix up at the lab, the NIPT tests are very acurate but still never 100%.
    Hopefully your OB can provide you with some clarity.

Welcomed our much awaited princess in 2019 after a pink sway and then our 2nd girl in 2021 after a very relaxed pink sway

4. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blue2: That is correct!

Twopink: Like Summer said, there are some possibilities -- Turners had crossed my mind, as did losing a male twin very close to blood draw... but sonography is still so prone to error that I'd still be thinking that baby was just smushed or awkwardly positioned vs the NIPT being wrong. Still really hope this is your girl!

6. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m interested in what your OB says as I want to take an NIPT soon to determine gender too.

I think the accuracy of the test is extremely high though so I’m inclined to agree with the test rather than the image.

Pls let us know what you find out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I am kinda trying to assume it’s a boy with bad positioning. Just too many what ifs and I don’t want to get my hopes up and end up going through my GD again!

Next midwife appt is next week, I will see what they say.

Most stuff I’ve read about the NIPT being wrong at birth was people told girls who got boys and that was due to inadequate sample to get the Y chromosome. Pretty sure I should stick with my assumption of it’s a boy and he was just hiding his bits. Just wish both techs had said something like it was too hard to tell and not “that’s a labia”

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    wow that must be hard to deal with considering you had to get used to the idea of having a boy I hope things turn out ok xox

8 years 5 years
    Successful sway 2 years old
    Successful sway 2 week old

12. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If the NIPT is really wrong, this would be the first legitimately wrong NIPT (on gender) I've personally ever seen. I would remain highly skeptical and expect a boy. Most of the "wrong" NIPT tests I've seen were in people who had really early ultrasounds that did not match with the NIPT (so the baby on ultrasound looked girl but then the nub rose) and they chose to believe the ultrasouns since it told them what they wanted to hear. But at 20 weeks a tech should be able to tell gender pretty reliably. While I'd still put more stock into NIPT, it's certainly more of a confusing situation than when someone has an ultrasound saying "girl" at 11 weeks and then has a boy NIPT (that baby is all but certainly a boy).

Any chance of another ultrasound?
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerHope View Post
    Have you met with your OB to discuss?
    Ive been doing ultrasound for 5 years and the only time I've seen a NIPT say boy and ultrasound said girl the baby was a girl but had an abnormality with the sex chromosomes confirmed by further testing (I believe she had Turners syndrome but can't 100% remember). It also could have been a mix up at the lab, the NIPT tests are very acurate but still never 100%.
    Hopefully your OB can provide you with some clarity.
    These were the only other situations I've seen (other than early ultrasounds or those done by people who were less skilled, like a friend who was a cardiosonographer rather than a baby-trained tech) where the ultrasound and NIPT did not agree.

I don't want to scare anyone but that would be something to keep in the back of your mind - you probably will want to consult with your doc about this discreptancy to see if s/he requests any other followup testing.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
    Twopink - that is so confusing. I hope the technicians are right and it is a little pink bundle!

A question for atomic because I am worried about NIPT tests being inaccurate (whenever I get pg/take them)... is it more likely to get a false girl or false boy reading? If they are testing for Y chromosomes to show up in the mother's blood, would it be impossible to detect something that isn't there? So even if there is a tiny bit of Y chromosome that HAS to mean baby boy? Whereas if you got all X chromosome there is a tiny chance they missed the baby's Y and it could still be a boy? Hope this question makes sense
    There are so few NIPT opposites that it's not really even worth going down this rabbithole. I don't want to hold out false hope for anyone and so I'm going to decline to answer this. I suspect the primary reason for NIPT opposites is technician error and that, I suspect, could go either way and so I don't want to have anyone grabbing at straws about NIPT being wrong.

Practically every time if the NIPT test disagrees with the ultrasound it's because the ultrasound techs made a mistake. Much less likely but I've still seen it a couple times - the baby had a chromosomal abnormality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast