Thread: Timing

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Timing

So, along with diet, coffee and exercise, although I know timing has been debunked, I really want to try BDM too. My problem is that my cycles are all over the place. I have been tracking opks for a year now, and my O day seems to be between CD 13-18. We were going to start ttc this month again (we took a few months off), but I got a positive opk yesterday afternoon and it was only CD12 (this is the first month of it being in CD13). I just don’t know when I should ttc with our one attempt, when I feel my cycle is so unpredictable. Any suggestions on how to plan ahead? I’ve looked back and some months my darkest opk occurs 12-24 hrs after my first positive opk, and other times it’s within just a few hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have two sweet little boys, desperately praying for pink this time!

2005 2009 Praying for

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Please don't try Babydust Method.

I regularly have people show up on here who have been trying for a very long time on BDM. Haven't you been trying for quite some time?? Now is when we start DROPPING things that do not work and cut odds of conception, not adding them.

All Babydust Method is, is a woman who stole our one attempt several years after we came up with it, went out and dug through studies till she found one (done in Nigeria, BTW) that seemed to support both timing and one attempt, and wrote a book about it. On her Facebook page, I am told she regularly deletes any negative responses from people who got opposites. (please note, that is hearsay, but it came from people who seem otherwise reliable and have no vested interest in debunking her)

Timing is the single most studied aspect of swaying by far. If there was anything to it, we'd know beyond a shadow of a doubt. Every study done on timing by a reputable source that determined the actual day of ovulation using blood tests or ultrasounds did not find that timing worked. Now ordinarily I'm supportive of people doing timing if they want (not Babydust though, which uses some really bad techniques that lower odds of conception too far) but if you've been trying for a while, and also given your history of having trouble keeping weight on, I just can't recommend it for you.

But to answer your question about OPK, you cannot tell based on when you get your darkest OPK, when ovulation occurs. If that's what the Babydust people are claiming, it is untrue. You will ovulate an average of 36 hours after your FIRST positive OPK (anywhere from 8-48 hours, even up to 72 sometimes) even if you get a darker one later on. Your body sends itself a message with LH and it "hears" that message when it is "whispered" even if it starts "yelling" later on. The problem is, the amount of time varies by the month. There is no reliable pattern relating from when your OPK goes positive, to when it's at its darkest, to when ovulation occurs. Some months you may have 8 hours before O, other months it may be 72, and there's no predictability to that. (OPK are just not reliable to the level we might like them to be.)

So my advice is, if you really want timing, get a Clearblue monitor, and then have your attempt on the day of the second flashy. That's still a cutoff. Be aware, though, that you can have more than 2 days of flashy, and you can also go straight to peak, so have a plan in place for what you want to do in that case.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for your advice! I have been tracking for almost a year now, but have only been ttc for a total of 3 months (as I sometimes chicken out and feel I’m not ‘girl friendly’ enough that month).

It is opks that I’ve been using which is what bdm requires. They aren’t too supportive on that site. I’ve asked questions and sometimes don’t receive any reply until posting it a second time, even after the owner is the one who approves my post I had thought I would try timing with bdm, as I figured it can’t hurt my chances and could only help. But I do plan to ditch it if I can’t get pregnant soon, I’m 36 and DH is 42. They seem to have a high success rate, but like you said it could be that they aren’t allowing the fails to post as often. Thank you for your advice Atomic! As always, you are so helpful and thorough in your explanations I trust your judgement so much more than I do anyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 2009 Praying for

4. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    keep in mind that if someone has to approve your post before it is posted, they have the ability to not approve posts. Several gender sites (like the guy who predicts gender off the parents' photos) use that method to weed out anyone who doesn't support their claims.

Ok. Let us know how it goes for you and please be careful you're eating enough to keep weight on.

6. Thanks Maureenhdez thanked for this post
    Likes Maureenhdez liked this post
    Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    Please don't try Babydust Method.

I regularly have people show up on here who have been trying for a very long time on BDM. Haven't you been trying for quite some time?? Now is when we start DROPPING things that do not work and cut odds of conception, not adding them.

All Babydust Method is, is a woman who stole our one attempt several years after we came up with it, went out and dug through studies till she found one (done in Nigeria, BTW) that seemed to support both timing and one attempt, and wrote a book about it. On her Facebook page, I am told she regularly deletes any negative responses from people who got opposites. (please note, that is hearsay, but it came from people who seem otherwise reliable and have no vested interest in debunking her)

Timing is the single most studied aspect of swaying by far. If there was anything to it, we'd know beyond a shadow of a doubt. Every study done on timing by a reputable source that determined the actual day of ovulation using blood tests or ultrasounds did not find that timing worked. Now ordinarily I'm supportive of people doing timing if they want (not Babydust though, which uses some really bad techniques that lower odds of conception too far) but if you've been trying for a while, and also given your history of having trouble keeping weight on, I just can't recommend it for you.

But to answer your question about OPK, you cannot tell based on when you get your darkest OPK, when ovulation occurs. If that's what the Babydust people are claiming, it is untrue. You will ovulate an average of 36 hours after your FIRST positive OPK (anywhere from 8-48 hours, even up to 72 sometimes) even if you get a darker one later on. Your body sends itself a message with LH and it "hears" that message when it is "whispered" even if it starts "yelling" later on. The problem is, the amount of time varies by the month. There is no reliable pattern relating from when your OPK goes positive, to when it's at its darkest, to when ovulation occurs. Some months you may have 8 hours before O, other months it may be 72, and there's no predictability to that. (OPK are just not reliable to the level we might like them to be.)

So my advice is, if you really want timing, get a Clearblue monitor, and then have your attempt on the day of the second flashy. That's still a cutoff. Be aware, though, that you can have more than 2 days of flashy, and you can also go straight to peak, so have a plan in place for what you want to do in that case.
    I found a clear blue monitor, but it doesn’t seem to have a flashy smiley face, it only has a smiley face on the 2 days you are most fertile during the month. Do you know the brand name for this monitor? Below is the one I’m currently using:

2005 2009 Praying for

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's still a clearblue, it's just a different one. It will say "4 fertile days" or something like that

Can someone help with a pic?

9. Thanks Maureenhdez thanked for this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's the clear blue
    advance digital

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

11. Thanks atomic sagebrush, Maureenhdez thanked for this post