Thread: Radiation

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Radiation

I know this isn’t gender related, but I am panicking and needed some advice. I just found out that the office I work in is right above the imaging center on the floor below where they do xrays, CT scans, MRI, etc. We always have internet issues and no one else in the building ever has issues. The doctor I work for thinks it’s bc of the radiation from downstairs. Right out side our window, our bushes are like 10x the size of the other bushes around them. Even the doctor thinks it’s concerning, but we don’t have to wear radiation badges or anything, but makes me think maybe it’s still dangerous, but they don’t want to have to deal with it.

With me trying to get pregnant, I am now terrified of what the possible seeping radiation could do to my baby while working there and being pregnant. I only started working there a few months ago, and was planning on staying about a year, or more, if it worked out and I really liked it. But now, I’m wondering if I should be looking for a new job. My baby’s health would be much more important to me than any job. But am I making this out to be bigger deal than it really is? Or do you think I would really be putting my (hopeful) baby in danger. We have been ttc the past few months and will continue to ttc until we get a BFP. Any suggestions or advice is so greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have two sweet little boys, desperately praying for pink this time!

2005 2009 Praying for

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Has anyone else gotten pregnant while working there? What was the outcome?

I am very much thinking you're overthinking this. They have come light years in protecting people from the harmful effects of radiation over the years and I can assure you they have layers and layers of lead surrounding those devices.

ANY electric field disrupts the Internet. I sometimes am on my computer in my kitchen and I lose Internet when I make toast! So being near devices that use a lot of electricity can absolutely mess with the wifi signal without being radiation-related. And of course magnetic fields do as well as anyone who has ever seen Breaking Bad will attest.

Radiation doesn't make plants grow. It is harmful to them! Plants that grew around Chernobyl were small and stunted, not big and healthy. If the bushes are larger there are tons of variables - more light, better water, maybe someone spilled a bag of fertilizer there years ago and it gave them a headstart growing compared to the others.

Those of us who have boys tend to be very anxious and our minds often run away with us. We are good at detecting threats, so good that we start to see threats even when none exist, yet we end up worrying just as much It's a way we control our environments, is to be always on the lookout for potential dangers and trying to eliminate them. But I really don't think this is anything to worry about and is just how our minds play tricks on us sometimes.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

3. Likes Maureenhdez liked this post
    Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much for your response. This helps me feel better. This building is only a few years old, fairly new. There was a nurse in that office who left bc she had a baby, I don’t know the outcome, if it was healthy or not, and I don’t know if she quit as soon as she got pregnant or if she quit when she had the baby. My other co-workers have only been working there a few months longer than me, so they never met her (there’s been a lot of turnover in that office). I don’t really want the dr to know yet that we are ttc, esp since I just started working there, she might not be too happy about that. Over the past 2 weeks we have had some bad rainstorms and twice we had a leak in one of the patient rooms in our office and it was determined that it was leaking from a pipe from the MRI machine from downstairs.

I do have a tendency to be on the anxious side I have been working on it and have gotten much better, but sometimes my mind runs away from me. I constantly pray about it, and have been studying the Bible on trust. But I also believe sometimes God gives us wisdom to protect us from things. So I am trying to figure out if this is one of those times that He is giving me this wisdom to find another job as this is an unsafe work environment, or if this is my mistrust and anxiousness, and I need to trust God.

With this personality flaw, I am likely putting myself in boy territory, right? is it even possible for someone with this personality to have a girl?

2005 2009 Praying for

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m an anxious type too and have a tendency to overthink everything. I was mega anxious and stressed at the time of conception this time and I’ve been told at 16 weeks I’m having a girl (to be confirmed on Monday), so you definitely have a good chance of a girl. I bet a lot of girl mums worry too. There are so many factors involved in gender swaying and anxiousness is just one.

Try not to worry about worrying. If the buildings new health and safety will have been all over it to protect staff from radiation. Think of all the old hospitals where there’s wards above radiology, I’ve never heard of radiation risk to those nurses surrounding and above radiology. It’s so hard not to worry about things isn’t it
    Last edited by Bobster; June 22nd, 2019 at 10:24 AM.

6. Likes Maureenhdez, atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    with what bobster says - the building being new means they have gone over and over it. A leaking pipe doesn't mean leaking radiation. (an MRI does not even USE ionizing radiation!!) Thousands of people work WITH, not only just around them, MRI and X ray and CT scans every day, and have for far, far longer than you have, and you know the researchers are watching them like a hawk and if there were risks from being in the same building as them, we would know that by now. This isn't Soviet Russia where every person is in on this huge scam to hide risks from the general public - while there are bad guys in the world it would take the collective effort of so many people to be putting you at risk from leaking radiation and covering it up.

I do think this is much more something I see from boy moms, not necessarily the worry per se, but the extent of the detail you're putting into it and thinking about it is. With boy moms (and let me remind you, I'm one myself) our brain will spin and spin till it finds something to worry about. If it wasn't this, it would likely be something else.

The thing is, I've had a lot of crappy jobs in my life and if you found one you like, my fear is that you're gonna boy mom yourself into quitting and I hate to see that because jobs that you can live with are awful hard to come by! And let's say you get another job, and your brain spins some more, then you start worrying about....hmmm, IDK...paint fumes at that job, and then the next job there's some creepy people that walk by outside, and the next one has a malfunctioning heater and you wonder if there's mold in it. You get my point. The issue is us being control freaks and being "set" to want to hunt down every potential variable and beat it within an inch of its life. But swaying aside, it makes us MISERABLE! We end up going through life scared all the time about threats that are, while not impossible because nothing is impossible, really super unlikely and yet we're as scared as if the boogey man was standing in front of us right that minute!

8. Likes Maureenhdez liked this post
    Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you bobster and atomic! This has really helped to put my mind at ease. I brought the issue up at a staff meeting this week, and they said the same- that it’s lined with lead and OSHA regs wouldn’t allow seepage, and it’s unlikely with how new the building is.

It’s very true that I always have to find something to obsess about. My husband mentioned this recently and I never realized it before. But I think he’s right. Right now he said my obsession is swaying, last year it was a traumatic event I experienced. He’s concerned what the next thing will be. I feel that’s also another reason why I want a baby, bc my kids are now 9 and 13 and don’t need me as much as when they were younger, and I feel really bored a lot and having another baby will also help to keep my mind active.
    Although I obsess over things, I do feel I have become much more relaxed in other ways- I allow myself to let things go more often, I’m not the super neat freak I used to be, I’m not as much of a perfectionist as I used to be. But I still struggle with some other areas as you can see.
    Any tips on how to change my thought process? What are some things you did to put yourself more in a girl mind frame?

2005 2009 Praying for

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's how many of us are, myself included. I will say it's gotten better over time and I'm better at letting stuff go.

Hey, that's very much how my family is - I ended up with my first two 13 and 15 (we had them young, same husband - not that that matters at all but people always ask me LOL) and then I had the 3 little ones when I was 37, 39, and 42. So my oldest was 21 when my youngest was born.

I do want to warn you about trying to "put yourself in a girl mind frame." This never works, please don't try. You are who you are, and that's not going to change. What I see people do, time after time, is to launch into a big project of visualization and meditation and relaxation with all these plans and schemes and schedules and really all they are doing is simply finding yet another target for obsession. It doesn't help to replace whatever thing we're naturally obsessing about with obsessing over not obsessing. It is still the SAME THING. What works is putting your sway in place and then forgetting it inasmuch as you can. Try to get on autopilot and then just go about your life. If you tend to obsess over stuff, that's ok, we all do. It's normal and natural to approach a sway with apprehension and anxiety and to think about it a lot. Trying not to only adds MORE apprehension and anxiety. So just try to accept that you've done what you can do and then sort of mentally send it off into the stratosphere to a higher power. What I do NOT want to ever see anyone do is a) launch into a big relaxation project where you pursue "relaxation" as if it is your next obsession and b) end up in a state of panic every time you feel anxious about your sway, ending up breathing into a paper bag because you're hyperventilating, telling yourself "I gotta calm down or my sway will fail!"

12. Thanks Maureenhdez thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it makes you feel any better, my husband has been working around radiation for over a decade as a nuclear chemist. He has not had any health issues and we have three beautiful healthy children. In fact when we had fertility testing done, my husband's sperm count was very high and motility was great. None of the other people my DH has worked with in the nuclear industry has had fertility issues that we know of. We've known many of them that have had multiple children.

Also, as Atomic said, MRIs do not even use radiation. It uses magnetic fields. X-Rays use small doses of radiation but even then you're not going to actually be the one getting an x-ray. I think what a lot of people don't realize is we're exposed to small doses of background radiation every single day. So the average person is exposed to an average of 300-600 millirem annually just from everyday sources like the sun and soil. Someone who works in the nuclear industry like my husband is safely allowed to be exposed up to 5,000 millirem each year, so 10 times the amount the average person is exposed to. Say you also have an x-ray (and by this I don't mean being in the building with one as some radiation particles do not travel very far at all), you would only be exposed to just 10 millirem on average. Long story short, you're not being directly exposed to radiation from the machines where you work and every person on this planet is exposed to small amounts from natural/everyday sources all the time.
    '12
    '14
    '15 '15 '16
    🌈 '17 (LE sway opposite)

Dreaming of pink through HT or adoption
    FET January 2021: 1 HBAA XX - BFN
    FET #2 August 2022: 1 HBAA XX - BFP!

14. Thanks atomic sagebrush, Maureenhdez thanked for this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am a radiographer so I do stays, ct, etc. Those rooms are lined floor to ceiling with lead. No radiation is getting through. Like atomic said, using electronics in a regular house can disrupt tv or internet, so using magnetic waves (mri) and taking xrays and ct can cause internet and phone disruption bc all of those use a crazy amt of electricity and/or produce different magnetic waves. Most of the time though it is the lead that disrupts phone and internet. If I am wearing a lead apron during an exam, I sometimes don t have any service!

Also, this is my 4th baby while working in radiology. As a worker we are kept safe from radiation as well. Otherwise, no one would want the job! We stand behind lead walls and windows to block the radiation from us. Also we have small badges that measure radiation exposure that we wear all the time called dosimeters. If you have more than a certain amt in a yr you have to take off work and have a rest from exposure. However, I've never known anyone to have anywhere close to the max exposure. I have had very very little in the last 8 yrs and close to 0 during my pregnancies. Radiology is a safe occupation as long as you follow the safety rules and regulations. So please don t worry about radiation exposure from the floor below! And I am certain that young woman's baby was healthy and fine- at least when it comes to radiation. 😊
    💙Ds1 2012
    💙Ds2 2014
    💙Ds3 2016
    💗Prayed then swayed GIRL due with my 🌈July 2019💗 IT'S A GIRL!!💕

16. Thanks atomic sagebrush, Maureenhdez thanked for this post
    Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you everyone for your advice and for helping to put me at ease. This info really does help me to feel much better about the situation. That is shocking that no one who works in radiology ever seems to reach the dangerous levels; you would think they would since they work around it every day, but that makes me feel much better being that I’m a floor above and not even in the same dept. it’s such a relief to hear that you had 4 healthy babies while working in radiology!

In having the right mindset, this is what I feel God has been telling me all along- to trust Him. I just need to do my part and then let it go and trust Him for the rest. I have not done any kind of relaxation program, but I’m glad I know not to go that route.

Thank you ladies!

2005 2009 Praying for

18. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post