Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Folic acid

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Folic acid

Does reducing it right away cause miscarriage? It’s that why it’s best to slowly reduce intake? Like I’m taking 1200mg and if I just go to 800 right away will it be okay??

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is what our fear is, and we've had several people mysteriously lose pregnancies after stopping it so I have you guys wean off of it very gradually.

Are you at the end of the first trimester?? I like you guys to take it at the higher amount all thru the first trimester and then gradually wean off (or if you prefer, start the weaning process at the 10th or 11th week gestation)

Just space the dose further and further out till you're taking only the amount you wish to be taking. This should take 3-4 weeks depending on how much you're weaning (in the case of going from 1200 to 800 should only take 7-10 days)
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why wean off of it at all..!?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    worryingly over here (UK) we are told to take it before conception and for the first 12 weeks and then its just assumed that you stop, all the maternity notes say is "take folic acid daily until you are 12 weeks pregnant" there is no mention of weaning off it. in all my pregnancies ive never once been told to wean off it, i only learned about that on this site, thankyou Atomic! and id assume most UK swayers wont know to wean off it.

this is the NHS advice page and no mention anywhere of weaning off

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...-in-pregnancy/
    now 6blue5pink

5. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by barrebabe View Post
    Why wean off of it at all..!?

My real question is, why NOT wean off them?? It causes no harm to wean and may help!

Because when it comes to vitamins, your body "gets used" to them coming in at certain levels. If it "thinks" you're getting too much it will excrete more and save less from your diet. Then let's say you stop taking them suddenly. Your body is not that smart, it carries on excreting more and saving less for a while before it figures it all out. So you go from taking a good amount of something, not only to taking NONE of something, but even having your body continue to get rid of what it thinks is excess, you go from feast to famine overnight and bodies aren't good with stuff like that.

Folic acid is a water soluble vitamin. Your body isn't great at storing it. So unlike things like Vitamin D which your body does store, if you stop taking folic acid and your body isn't saving it from your foods (and even excreting it!) you have none coming in. Your baby needs nutrients. I have seen firsthand several unexplained losses where the people dropped folic acid suddenly. Do I KNOW this is what happened? No, but it's happened often enough with no explanation whatsoever that it is just a sensible precaution.

Please ladies, just wean off stuff. Even if 1000 doctors say it isn't necessary. It hurts nothing and may save your baby's life in addition to helping your body to continue to function.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 4blue2pink View Post
    worryingly over here (UK) we are told to take it before conception and for the first 12 weeks and then its just assumed that you stop, all the maternity notes say is "take folic acid daily until you are 12 weeks pregnant" there is no mention of weaning off it. in all my pregnancies ive never once been told to wean off it, i only learned about that on this site, thankyou Atomic! and id assume most UK swayers wont know to wean off it.

this is the NHS advice page and no mention anywhere of weaning off

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-que...-in-pregnancy/
    It's not just in the UK, it's that way here too!! even though they know that elderly people and those on daily aspirin are causing themselves serious harm stopping vitamin pills and aspirin cold turkey, no one has ever bothered to extrapolate that to pregnant women. Docs have pregnant women drop folic and aspirin both cold turkey and I truly believe this is causing a fair number of miscarriages.

This is entirely my pet project, you're not going to hear it from anyone else. I saw several people on IG (blue swayers who on IG take a high dose of folic acid) have sudden losses at 12-14 weeks (and babies were genetically normal) and I started investigating it there. I saw enough hard evidence regarding weaning off supplements that I made it my cardinal law at that point and see absolutely no reason not to have you guys wean off stuff. No harm, likely big help.

8. Likes 4blue2pink liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    It's not just in the UK, it's that way here too!! even though they know that elderly people and those on daily aspirin are causing themselves serious harm stopping vitamin pills and aspirin cold turkey, no one has ever bothered to extrapolate that to pregnant women. Docs have pregnant women drop folic and aspirin both cold turkey and I truly believe this is causing a fair number of miscarriages.

This is entirely my pet project, you're not going to hear it from anyone else. I saw several people on IG (blue swayers who on IG take a high dose of folic acid) have sudden losses at 12-14 weeks (and babies were genetically normal) and I started investigating it there. I saw enough hard evidence regarding weaning off supplements that I made it my cardinal law at that point and see absolutely no reason not to have you guys wean off stuff. No harm, likely big help.
    its such an easy thing to do and as you say could literally save your baby's life, im so sorry for all those women who lost their babies thankyou for putting the info out there, i wouldn't of known if it weren't for the posts you made about it on here.
    now 6blue5pink

10. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    My real question is, why NOT wean off them?? It causes no harm to wean and may help!

Because when it comes to vitamins, your body "gets used" to them coming in at certain levels. If it "thinks" you're getting too much it will excrete more and save less from your diet. Then let's say you stop taking them suddenly. Your body is not that smart, it carries on excreting more and saving less for a while before it figures it all out. So you go from taking a good amount of something, not only to taking NONE of something, but even having your body continue to get rid of what it thinks is excess, you go from feast to famine overnight and bodies aren't good with stuff like that.

Folic acid is a water soluble vitamin. Your body isn't great at storing it. So unlike things like Vitamin D which your body does store, if you stop taking folic acid and your body isn't saving it from your foods (and even excreting it!) you have none coming in. Your baby needs nutrients. I have seen firsthand several unexplained losses where the people dropped folic acid suddenly. Do I KNOW this is what happened? No, but it's happened often enough with no explanation whatsoever that it is just a sensible precaution.

Please ladies, just wean off stuff. Even if 1000 doctors say it isn't necessary. It hurts nothing and may save your baby's life in addition to helping your body to continue to function.
    Sorry I meant why not just keep taking it? Why stop at all - whether gradually or not?

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have MTHFR mutation (which it’s estimated 25% of Caucasians do), so I will always be on methylated folate pregnant or not. But none of my friends here have ever stopped folic acid or folate until after delivery so that’s why I was wondering why we wouldn’t just suggest it for the entire pregnancy.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by barrebabe View Post
    Sorry I meant why not just keep taking it? Why stop at all - whether gradually or not?
    People DO continue to take the amount in the prenatal.

We can't take higher dose folic acid after the end of the first trimester because it's been linked to some things like asthma and some women store up massive amounts of it, which has been potentially linked to autism. Once the neural tube is formed it's believed we no longer need quite as much and so I have you guys come off the extra at that point in time (plus most people are recovered from having been on LE Diet and are no longer suffering from morning sickness at that point in time)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast