Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Folic acid

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by barrebabe View Post
    I have MTHFR mutation (which it’s estimated 25% of Caucasians do), so I will always be on methylated folate pregnant or not. But none of my friends here have ever stopped folic acid or folate until after delivery so that’s why I was wondering why we wouldn’t just suggest it for the entire pregnancy.
    People wean down to the amount in a prenatal. They continue taking it the whole pregnancy, just not at the higher dose.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How much should we be taking through to 12 weeks? 1000? 1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    we are advised 400mcg daily here but should i take a higher dose? (currently not swaying or ttc just thinking ahead)
    i will be 30 for the next baby does that make any difference? may seem a stupid question but i had a few comments from midwives during my latest pregnancy about my age (im 29) feeling quite confused about the whole having babies in your 20's vs 30's thing, does it really make such a huge difference?
    now 6blue5pink

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by laurelw View Post
    How much should we be taking through to 12 weeks? 1000? 1500?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like pink swayers to take 1200-1600, somewhere in there.

5. Likes laurelw liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 4blue2pink View Post
    we are advised 400mcg daily here but should i take a higher dose? (currently not swaying or ttc just thinking ahead)
    i will be 30 for the next baby does that make any difference? may seem a stupid question but i had a few comments from midwives during my latest pregnancy about my age (im 29) feeling quite confused about the whole having babies in your 20's vs 30's thing, does it really make such a huge difference?
    When you're actively planning a pregnancy yes take the higher amount. When you're between babies stick with 400.

Your midwives are as they say, "kookoo for cocoa puffs." All of our odds of trouble do gradually rise over the course of time, and this picks up the pace over time, but at 29/30 I would have absolutely zero qualms about egg quality.

We are finding more and more that the "rule of 35" is based on really poor data (seriously, it comes from the 1600's and apparently doctors never felt the burning need to amass more data from a world without rickets, LOL) and they basically have used this information to scare women into changing their behavior in ways that some find more socially acceptable. The fact is, a woman with proven fertility, in good health, really does not have much higher risk of a poor pregnancy outcome than when she was younger.

7. Thanks 4blue2pink thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by atomic sagebrush View Post
    When you're actively planning a pregnancy yes take the higher amount. When you're between babies stick with 400.

Your midwives are as they say, "kookoo for cocoa puffs." All of our odds of trouble do gradually rise over the course of time, and this picks up the pace over time, but at 29/30 I would have absolutely zero qualms about egg quality.

We are finding more and more that the "rule of 35" is based on really poor data (seriously, it comes from the 1600's and apparently doctors never felt the burning need to amass more data from a world without rickets, LOL) and they basically have used this information to scare women into changing their behavior in ways that some find more socially acceptable. The fact is, a woman with proven fertility, in good health, really does not have much higher risk of a poor pregnancy outcome than when she was younger.
    Thankyou Atomic im taking the 400 daily at the moment and will continue to do so, should i up it once i get to 12 weeks out from ttc? is it ok to take 3 of the 400mcg tablets per day to make up the 1200?

thats what i thought, i know so many women who have had their babies in their 30's including most women in my family, im the odd one out starting younger! one cousin just had her 1st at 36 another at 39 and my great-grandma had her 2 youngest children in her 40's, none of them needed fertility treatments. But it seems the medical pro's are obsessed, as soon as they realise i'll be 30 next birthday its all doom and gloom, risk this-risk that, problems getting pregnant etc.. but what they say doesnt seem to fit with what actually happens in the real world!

just out of interest is there an age where you would reccommend switching things up for egg quality just in case? sorry if this seems a silly question its just i know i'll never get a helpful answer out of any medical professional on this subject!!
    now 6blue5pink

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes that's what we like to see - take 400 morning, noon and night. It's better used by the body tht way.

Yes it's actually quite bizarre when we think about our family histories, isn't it?? My mother, stepmother, and grandmother had babies at 38. My stepmother's mom had an unplanned, successful pregnancy at 45 (this person is perfectly healthy and 60 years old now!) My greatgrandmother and both my husband's grandmothers had larger families with wide age ranges and simply HAD TO be having kids well into their 30's if not even beyond that (I don't know their ages.) I was even looking at some geneological stuff my dad sent me and was surprised to see several births to women in their 40's - one of whom had bought a birth control device that failed and she threw it into the river in anger, LOL. All these people had healthy babies who grew up to have healthy babies of their own. In my experience, we are seeing good rates of conception up till 43, and then it does drop off.

I think the medical professionals who are saying things like this to you have completely lost the plot. People do things all the time that could be far more harmful than being 30 years old, for criminy's sake. I suspect that these people, at least some of them, have an opinion regarding the size of your family and are saying negative things to you for their own reasons (which is something we've seen happen repeatedly, particularly in the UK.)

Regarding when to change things up, we've had good results with the alternate forms of LE Diet (both the PCOS and atomic fertility type diets) so I'm fine with you guys making that switch at any time. I would even consider having everyone switch, but I find that many people cannot stick to those diets, they are much more expensive, and a lot of people end up losing too much weight on them, so I stick with that version of diet for whom it is appropriate. But yes anyone who is worried about egg quality, it gets just as great results to use whole grains instead of white, limit sugar, and have full fat instead of skim dairy. You could even up protein/fat to 50-60 g to be sure you'e not getting too many carbs (but for those who are just on the diet as a preventative, I'd stick with the lower range unless you have reason to believe you have any PCO-tendencies.)

Now as for when I start having real concerns about egg quality, I'd say minor concerns beginning at 38 and more serious concerns at 40.

10. Thanks 4blue2pink thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes that's what we like to see - take 400 morning, noon and night. It's better used by the body tht way.

Yes it's actually quite bizarre when we think about our family histories, isn't it?? My mother, stepmother, and grandmother had babies at 38. My stepmother's mom had an unplanned, successful pregnancy at 45 (this person is perfectly healthy and 60 years old now!) My greatgrandmother and both my husband's grandmothers had larger families with wide age ranges and simply HAD TO be having kids well into their 30's if not even beyond that (I don't know their ages.) I was even looking at some geneological stuff my dad sent me and was surprised to see several births to women in their 40's - one of whom had bought a birth control device that failed and she threw it into the river in anger, LOL. All these people had healthy babies who grew up to have healthy babies of their own. In my experience, we are seeing good rates of conception up till 43, and then it does drop off.

I think the medical professionals who are saying things like this to you have completely lost the plot. People do things all the time that could be far more harmful than being 30 years old, for criminy's sake. I suspect that these people, at least some of them, have an opinion regarding the size of your family and are saying negative things to you for their own reasons (which is something we've seen happen repeatedly, particularly in the UK.)

Regarding when to change things up, we've had good results with the alternate forms of LE Diet (both the PCOS and atomic fertility type diets) so I'm fine with you guys making that switch at any time. I would even consider having everyone switch, but I find that many people cannot stick to those diets, they are much more expensive, and a lot of people end up losing too much weight on them, so I stick with that version of diet for whom it is appropriate. But yes anyone who is worried about egg quality, it gets just as great results to use whole grains instead of white, limit sugar, and have full fat instead of skim dairy. You could even up protein/fat to 50-60 g to be sure you'e not getting too many carbs (but for those who are just on the diet as a preventative, I'd stick with the lower range unless you have reason to believe you have any PCO-tendencies.)

Now as for when I start having real concerns about egg quality, I'd say minor concerns beginning at 38 and more serious concerns at 40.
    Ok i will do the divided doses

Yes!! looking at my family and also just other women generally there are so so many who have babies without any issue in their 30's and 40's, the mum of Britains biggest family has had babies right through her teens, 20's, 30's and early 40's, the age gaps didnt get bigger as she got older either, i think her youngest 2 are 14 months apart and she had them both in her 40's.

your right about the big families, back when they were the norm women must of had babies into their 30's and 40's especially as contraception wasnt really effective! i know my great grandma didnt plan the 2 she had in her 40's and (much more recently!) a friend of mine had her 8th 9th and 10th babies in her early 40's without any issues. Its just crazy that we are considered "past it" by 30!!

LOL at throwing the birth control device in the river!!

Yes i agree 100% about the professionals not liking big family's and saying things because of that, they seem quite smug about the fact that i might struggle to have more past 30.

diet wise i did the pcos diet last time after having an opposite on the standard LE, as far as im aware i dont have PCOS. i had an opposite on pcos diet too but was planning to do that diet again as cutting out sugar and white carbs made me feel really good and ive actually kept those changes ever since
    for the dairy should i do 1 serving of full fat milk per day or almond milk? im happy to do either.

thankyou for taking the time to answer, i felt like what the doctors say couldnt be right but they are so adament! late 30's-early 40's makes a lot more sense and its good to know my eggs aren't totally scrambled just yet!!
    now 6blue5pink

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yes totally - we have the same thing here in the US as well, with many of our biggest families having kids well into their 40's.

My stepmother's mom who had her daughter at 45 was completely humiliated by it, poor thing!! So I suspect we'd have seen far more people doing that if it wasn't so frowned upon during that time.

I do want you on the PCOS-type diet again. I really do think we see better results with that for anyone who can stick to it (it's much harder to stick with and people lose scads of weight on it)

Full fat dairy, not almond milk. Almond milk is fine to have, but whenever you have actual dairy it needs to be full fat.

13. Thanks 4blue2pink thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yes totally - we have the same thing here in the US as well, with many of our biggest families having kids well into their 40's.

My stepmother's mom who had her daughter at 45 was completely humiliated by it, poor thing!! So I suspect we'd have seen far more people doing that if it wasn't so frowned upon during that time.

I do want you on the PCOS-type diet again. I really do think we see better results with that for anyone who can stick to it (it's much harder to stick with and people lose scads of weight on it)

Full fat dairy, not almond milk. Almond milk is fine to have, but whenever you have actual dairy it needs to be full fat.
    It seems the "medical advice" is designed to try and manipulate women into doing what society see's as correct. not just age either, there was no mention of postpartum haemhorrage with my first 2 baby's but then i was 100% going to bleed to death after the birth of my 3rd because it is SO risky to have more than 2 kids!! your uterus just cannot handle it, its only designed to function properly for 2 pregnancies!!!! funny how 2 kids is also generally seen as the ideal/aceptable number..

ok PCOS diet with full fat dairy it will be is there any point adding almond milk? i wasnt sure if it was replacing cows milk for pink swayers?
    now 6blue5pink

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast