Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Baby aspirin during first trimester

Wasn't entirely sure where to post this... I used baby aspirin during my sway attempt and got a BFP. Since then I have been gradually weaning off of it. I'm currently taking one every 6 days then to 7 then to 8 etc. My sister has a blood clotting disorder called Factor 5 and has had several miscarriages likely because of it. I had my first doctor appt and didn't tell them about my sister because I assumed since I had one full term pregnancy so I must not have it. Well I'm reading you can have it even if you have had a successful pregnancy. So now I am freaked out! I called and begged my doctors office to test me which they reluctantly ordered last Friday. Now they are telling me they will not tell me my results over the phone and to wait till my next appt which is at the 8 week mark. I asked if I could at least start a baby aspirin regimen and they said no. So I guess my question is, how many of you continued to take the baby aspirin throughout the first trimester? My sister has to take it thru her entire pregnancy so I'm not sure why they are so adamant that I don't take it. My doctor and the nurse that I talked to said not to take it but I have read nothing but good things about it preventing miscarriage. The miscarriage on Factor 5 is due to it clotting and the baby dying because of it. Thanks for reading this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    just found this for you: Is it safe to take aspirin during pregnancy? | BabyCenter

if they told you not to take it you might have to assume that you don't have the clotting issue, and that taking it might put you/baby at more risk?

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for responding. They don't know if I have it yet since the lab results aren't there yet (should be there today or tomorrow). I think they tell every preggo woman not to take it unless they have a reason otherwise. Thank you for the link, I will read it!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ALWAYS tell your doctor you are on baby aspirin. They may not want you to stop since you are already taking it. I took it through 36 weeks and my OB did not want me to stop.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree with NBP totally. DO NOT stop the baby aspirin now until you know for sure about the clotting disorder.

Personally, I would go to another doctor IMMEDIATELY or possibly just show up at the office and refuse to leave without getting a straight answer. In my opinion, that is nothing short of medical malpractice not to get you in sooner.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Re the babycenter article, please understand that these are not necessarily women who took a reasonable amount of baby aspirin regularly and quit it by tapering off gradually. Some people take it 7 days a week and then quit cold turkey when they get a BFP. That CAN contribute to m/c because one day you have very thin blood (so your body makes extra chemicals to clot your blood more easily) and then the next day nothing, so your body is still making a lot of chemicals that can make your blood to clot more easily - not good for a developing placenta.

Others take a higher dose once or twice for illness or headache and again, when it's not something your body is used to, you dont' know what kind of an effect that can have. (my husband sometimes takes aspirin for headaches and he takes 2 and 3 at a time, several times a day, nothing like the way we use aspirin)

Thousands of women have taken low dose aspirin after HT and for swaying and had perfectly normal pregnancies. I believe low dose aspirin to be safe in very early pg and in fact may help prevent miscarriage and ensure a healthy pg.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, Atomic! I didn't realize it was you posting because your photo changed. So cute! I finally had to make an appointment and go down to talk to the doctor. I found out I was negative and the doctor said they cannot tell people results over the phone because they tend to "freak out". Well I think telling me I was negative would have been just fine. The nurses you talk to when you call could care less about family history. I think that is the part of medicine that makes me ill! To so many of them, miscarriage is no big deal it just happens. Heck, my poor sweet sister couldn't even be tested for anything till she lost 3 babies in a matter of months! Thanks Atomic for your feedback, it really is some of the best and most sound on the internet.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree Beth and glad to hear you are negative!! Just wean off slowly over a period of 2-3 weeks and you will be fine.

Thank you! That is my DS 3 when he was a little guy.