Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

PCOS LE vs. LE for someone without PCOS

Hi all! I have a question about whether I should do plain old LE diet to try and conceive, or if I should instead do the PCOS LE diet. I don't have PCOS and am very thin, (BMI of around 19), but blood sugar issues run in my family on both sides. The reason I'm drawn to it is because I think it'd be easier for me to maintain than the regular LE diet--I always feel really crappy when I eat white rice/pasta/bread, and am used to whole grain everything, full fat dairy and no sweets! But maybe it'd be better to go with LE, since it is the furthest away from the diet I had when I conceived my son? Any suggestions would be greatly helpful! Thanks!
    Son one, born 2018
    Son two, born 2021
    Trying for a daughter 2023

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i dont have pcos and have done both diets, i felt better on the pcos diet (i get a bad stomach from sugar and was much healthier not having any) but like you im thin and i really struggled to maintain my weight on that diet, sorry im not much help its just that is the one big difference i had.
    now 6blue5pink

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks 4blue2pink! How did your sways go with each diet? I suppose the biggest different from the PCOS diet to my normal diet is the amount of protein. I was vegetarian for 10 years until a few months before trying to conceive my first kid (lol, whoops!), so I'm planning to revert back to my old vegetarian ways this time around.
    Son one, born 2018
    Son two, born 2021

4. Likes 4blue2pink liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a sucessful sway on the standard LE diet followed by an opposite, i then switched diets due to having an opposite and had another opposite with the pcos diet.
    going veggie is a good option i was veggie for years till right before my first pregnancy too, if only i'd known!!
    now 6blue5pink

6. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ANYONE who can do the alternate PCOS-type diet, please do it. I think we've gotten better results with it (I suspect a lot of us with all boys have the underlying PCO-tendencies). Some people cannot (and will not) stick to it and weight will fly off of them if they try, but anyone who thinks they can do it, and would prefer things that way, please do.

EVEN if it is somewhat similar to what you were eating when you got your son, please do it anyway.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lad View Post
    Thanks 4blue2pink! How did your sways go with each diet? I suppose the biggest different from the PCOS diet to my normal diet is the amount of protein. I was vegetarian for 10 years until a few months before trying to conceive my first kid (lol, whoops!), so I'm planning to revert back to my old vegetarian ways this time around.
    this is fine but anyone with full blown PCOS will likely need to be eating some meat, as vegetarian diets can be a bit carby and may activate underlying PCO-tendencies

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks Atomic! We'll start with the PCOS-LE diet, and if the weight is flying off too quickly, I'll adjust as necessary (I think I have maybe 3 lbs to lose and still be fertile). I probably will stick to vegetarianism, but veggie heavy with tofu, dairy and eggs as add-ins for protein with whole grains and legumes for carbs (all within the limits of the diet). Does that sound okay?

I'm super excited for our sway (regardless of the outcome, I just love little life challenges like this--it's one aspect of my personality that I'll have to tamp down when swaying, and part of why I'm starting to incorporate the small things now, so that they aren't super exciting to me when we finally start).

Thanks for your help!
    Son one, born 2018
    Son two, born 2021

10. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    start off eating higher than you think you need too. Don't start off the lower ranges on diet, give yourself some wiggle room to adjust over time.

sounds good to me!

Remember, you can't change your personality. Don't try. All people do is trade their normal excitement for this feeling of panicking, thinking "oh no I gotta calm down or my sway will fail!" It's the same thing!! I mention the personality stuff to prevent you guys from making minute by minute schedules and color coded charts of your pH and stuff like that. NOT because I want you to try to change your personality, which is not possible and is simply taking on ANOTHER project the exact type I want you to not take on!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ha! Good point. Well then, I'll just be excited. It IS exciting! The first attempts for a whole new person that we're (hopefully) going to bring into our lives!
    Son one, born 2018
    Son two, born 2021

13. Likes atomic sagebrush, 4blue2pink liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    YES! Good luck and wishing you a wonderful pregnancy!