Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

1 attempt at 0-2 or try again after +OPK?

Hi,

Hubby and I DTD last night, but tonight at CD 13 (24 hours after) I got an pos OPK (I often ovulate late and get a short luteal phase (7-8 days), so I didn't think I would O until ~CD 16.)

Should we do another attempt - and when? 36 hours after pos OPK, which would be about 60 hours after last BD?

OR stick to the one attempt we had at, roughly, O-2?

Background: 2nd cycle TTC, I'm 33 (34 in a few months), hubby is 37.
    We have two boys/two pregnancies, and they were conceived at 6th and 2nd cycle. (BDing every day in fertile window, eating boy friendly, taking prenatals)

I'm doing LE diet (~1500 cals, 2-3 meals, skipping breakfast for 4 weeks now), but right before that I lost 60 lbs in 6 months at 1000-1200 cals, with a cheat day here and there. My macros have been within the LE limit during my weightloss, I often skipped breakfast, but I did snack between meals. Have lost a good deal of muscle.

Almost vegetarian, drink diet coke and 2-3 cups of coffee every day. 1 alcoholic drink a day from AF-O.
    I do moderate cardio (1 hour brisk walk or bike 6 days a week)

Also (and sorry for TMI), is it just me who has a hard time sticking to 1 attempt or even E4D? I get quite, erm, cuddly around O. Have to remember not BD'in al the time or at least to use a condom. Protected attempts doesn't count, right?

TIA for any insights!
    Last edited by Jossi; March 4th, 2021 at 03:59 PM.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're always ovulating late and having a short LP you do need to consider you may be ovulating sooner than you think and the OPK are misleading you.

What I would do for this month is use the rule of thumb "if you want a better chance of conception, add an attempt, if you want a better chance of pink, stick with the attempt you've had." If it were me and I was only 2 months in, and only 33, I would stick with the attempt at O-2.

LOL yes it is very common to get 'cuddly' around ovulation! Whether or not to have protected sex is at your discretion. Some people believe that female O sways blue, though I am not at all convinced that is the case.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

3. Thanks Jossi thanked for this post
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice!

I'm pretty sure the OPK's are correct as I sometimes experience (mild) mittelschmertz a day or so after +OPK.
    Even though I'm bummed we didn't wait for +OPK to DTD, I'm exited to ovulate as soon as CD14, and not on CD 17, even if I get my period. Big silver lining for me.

Are there any data that tell us the odds of concieving at ~12 hours after ovulation?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, O pain is not predictive of ovulation. You can have O pain many days after ovulation because the tubes and uterus are cramping to move the egg down, and also because the fluid that comes from the corpus luteum can irritate the internal organs.

12 hours after ovulation will not be stellar odds of conception. While hypothetically we claim "eggs may live 24 hours after ovulation" that is not a real expectation of the lifespan of the egg, and is a way to instead use natural family planning as a birth control method. We say "24 hours" to PREVENT pregnancy, not to achieve it. Most eggs live more like 8-12 hours after O, and are not likely fertilizable all that time. But we still have hope because you may not have ovualted when you think and also because you just never know, it could be a 12 hour egg LOL.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

6. Thanks Jossi thanked for this post