Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Feeling overwhelmed

Can anyone simplify the PCOS diet for me? I feel like I’ve read so much information that now I’m more confused than ever.
    Last sway I did Le loosely and it failed. I have fertility problems to start with and usually use clomid to conceive so thinking of trying the pcos diet.
    How is it different to the HE diet? I don’t want to go too crazy counting protein etc but what’s the best way to simplify things? Go vegetarian and only eat whole grains? What about sugar? Or super healthy veg like broccoli etc? Eggs? I feel like this is a lot more boy friendly which scares me, but I guess I did get a boy on the standard Le so who knows!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you need to do the alternate PCOS-type LE Diet. Both for the failed sway in the past, and the history of fertility problems and needing Clomid to conceive indicates that you will benefit from the alternate diet. (though of course doing diet "loosely" may just have needed a stricter approach)

The alternate LE is completely and totally different from the HE Diet. It is actually still the LE Diet, just with slightly different macros and slightly different food choices.

We actually have BETTER results with the alternate LE Diet. This is because if you have underlying PCO-tendencies, the higher carbs in the standard diet can aggravate them, raising blood sugar and in turn testosterone. Particularly if you didn't really even stick to the standard LE Diet, because then (I'm assuming anyway) you were eating higher calories, more protein, more fat, and then all the carbs on top of it.

I would happily use the alternate LE Diet for everyone but many people lose weight too fast on it, and others are too picky to stick to it - people who truly will not touch vegetables or whole grains, for instance, aren't going to stick to the alt. diet. It's also much more expensive. So we keep both diets, but no one should ever be reluctant to do the alternate diet thinking it's boy friendly. It isn't.

As for "super healthy veg like Broccoli" while we started off over 10 years back, with me thinking that all nutrients were created equal and we should limit the healthiest fruit and veg, it quickly became apparent that it was the heavy hitters of calories, protein, and fat that matter, plus the extremely concentrated nutrients in fortified foods and vitamin supplements. You could eat a literal mountain of broccoli and still never even get close to the amount of nutrients in a double bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a chocolate shake. ALL veg is fine, low carb veg like broccoli is free and unlimited, you count NOTHING in it, not calories, protein, or fat. Eat as much as you want. Higher carb veg like potatoes, and fruit, count only calories, not protein or fat. Only count the protein in beans/legumes, no other vegetables or fruit. We have excellent results with people eating a LOT of fruit and veg.

So the short, easy to understand version of the alternate LE Diet is this:

1500-1800 cals for most (this is identical to the standard and significantly lower than the 2200-2500 I recommend on HE Diet)
    50-60 g protein (10 g protein more than standard, but still much lower than the 90 grams or more I recommend on the HE Diet for blue)
    50-60 g fat (this is the upper range of the standard diet, which is 30-60 g, and is much lower than the fat intake I recommend on HE Diet.)

So right away you can see that the alternate LE Diet is significantly lower cal, lower protein, lower fat than the HE Diet. Additionally, you should be choosing mostly vegetarian options on the alternate LE Diet - so more of your cal intake is coming from vegetarian sources instead of animal. You do not need to, and in fact, SHOULDN'T, go fully vegan on the alternate LE Diet because the vegan options are too high carb. Eating eggs in the limits of the day, dairy in limits, and even small amounts of meat are ok on the alt diet as long as you keep in those limits. (again, very different from HE Diet in which people are having larger amounts of all those foods and also protein and fats sourced mainly from animal sources like lard, butter, meat, etc)

In addition to following those macros and getting more fat and protein from vegetarian sources, you will be eating whole grains only, no white refined grains (different from standard LE Diet) tho you can make an exception for pasta if you can't stand whole grain pasta, full fat dairy ONLY (no skim or part skim dairy), and limit sugar very strictly. You can still have sugar added to things like sauces and even yogurt (within cal limits of course) but you shouldn't be eating cookies, candy, cakes, sugar added to coffee and tea, sugared drinks, etc. All these things I've laid out in this paragraph will cut your carbs back some, while giving you healthier sources of carbs. This will lower your blood sugar and testosterone and it's why anyone who possibly has issues processing carbs (such as insulin resistance) will get better results on the alt. diet.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Atomic for typing that all out in a simplified way, I truly appreciate it!
    I can now see the difference between the LE and also the HE. I love broccoli so that is great news also haha. I actually feel like I shouldn’t struggle too badly on this diet apart from giving up my small sweet treat each night. We aren’t ttc just yet so I have time to figure out what works. So basically if it fits within those limits it should be fine.
    I’m wondering about the clomid, I now have two boys from using it- is there any better option you know if? It could just be coincidence but I’m not sure!

4. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Femara was shown in one study to be slightly better, but Clomid is still great. If you like Clomid, it works well for you, I'd just keep on with it. It is NOT swaying blue for you. You got boys for some other reason, not the Clomid.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ