Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Atomic! I am definitely pregnant and getting darker each day! Fingers crossed this sticks!

I am taking folate but I'd like to change to my Elevit multivitamin folic acid. How can I safely transition over?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How much folic is in the Elevit?

How much folate are you taking now?
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    800ųg in elevit
    800mcg in my folate

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why were you taking folate to start with? Was it a medical reason?

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It was due to multiple losses, which was discovered to be not genetical or chromosomal issues. It was just an incase of measure yourself and my GP suggested.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, thanks for refreshing my memory. In that case you need to continue the folate. You need it thru the entire first trimester as that's when the neural tube is forming.

So you will either need to continue on with the 800 mcg folate and then add the Elevit TO that (so you'd be taking 1600 mcg, thru the first tri, then at the end of the first tri gradually wean off by spacing doses further and further out till down to one per week, then drop, should take about 3 weeks so start it at say 11 weeks and you'll be done by 14 weeks) OR you can find a prenatal that has that same amount of folate or a bit more.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, just switch the folate for the folic acid. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, drop down to a lower level of folate (so if you find a prenatal that has say 400 mcg you can't just trade one for the other.) You need to continue at the same level of folate till the end of the first tri and then wean off.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much atomic!
    just to confirm - so wean down until taking 1 tablet a week is just the folate? And continue taking Elevit everyday?

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm trying to find another folate 800 mcg as mine has become hard to get in Aus. I came across this foltae which I thought was good but does this mean it has over half folic?

Attachment 43622

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkbow View Post
    Thank you so much atomic!
    just to confirm - so wean down until taking 1 tablet a week is just the folate? And continue taking Elevit everyday?

Ok. I am not sure we're understanding each other and this is extremely important, so I will try to be extra clear, forgive me if this seems repetitive.

1) You must continue taking your folate at whatever dose you are taking now, till the end of the first trimester. I was assuming you've been taking 800 mcg but now that I reread this I am no longer sure what your dose is. Only at that point is it safe to wean off to the amount in a prenatal, because the neural tube is formed. The end of the first trimester is 12 weeks, so if you'd like you can start weaning say at 11 weeks and then you'll be off it by about 14 weeks.

2)If you have no choice but to use Elevit with the folic acid, (instead of finding a prenatal with folate instead) you can add that in in ADDITION to the folate. I do not want you to stop the folate till the end of the first trimester. It is not good enough to just take folate till conception, you must take it till the neural tube is closed which is the end of the first trimester. Then at that point you would continue with Elevit till birth.

3)Another option would be to continue folate till the end of the first tri, and then add in some different multivitamin that isn't strictly a prenatal, that doesn't have folic acid in it (even if it's a men's vitamin, which sometimes don't have folic acid, and then you add an additional iron pill as men's vitamins don't generally have iron.) That way you can continue the folate without having

4)Depending on your dose, it's ok to add MORE folic acid to the mix (continue with folate but then add more folic acid) since you don't have a proven MTHFR mutation. But I would not lower your folate intake and expect to make up for that with folic acid, I want you at the same dose or more folate. Even up to 2000 mcg total is not uncommon, 1600 if you are indeed taking 800 mcg folate now is fine.

5) The most important nutrient in any prenatal is that folate. We don't want you to go from getting a good amount of folate to switching over to folic acid. While they are somewhat the same, the folate is much easier for your body to use and for a small group of people, folic acid can even be harmful to their unborn baby. Even though we're just doing this as a sort of "just in case" thing, we don't want to mess around with you switching until that neural tube is closed, and don't want to mess around at all ever with you switching suddenly. So even though I know it's surprising to hear it's safer for you to have continued taking just folate without a prenatal at all than to just simply drop folate for the Elevit with folic acid!!! If we can't find a remedy any other place we can always just have you take folate, then add in an iron supp and Vitamin D, possibly iodine if you need that, and roll with that. But I'm hoping that these options have given you a possible course of action.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkbow View Post
    I'm trying to find another folate 800 mcg as mine has become hard to get in Aus. I came across this foltae which I thought was good but does this mean it has over half folic?

Attachment 43622
    Yes, it does, it's best to use one that 's just the folate if possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast