Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Progesterone

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progesterone

Any success stories with using this?

I did use for my Oct loss baby so it didn't help there.

This time, was supposed to wait one week after AF due, to make sure it wasn't chemical....???? Then OB called me Friday to see when I was going to start taking it. (vag 3x a day) Which I did NOT because I felt m/c was imminent and didn't want to prolong the limbo.

I see other people start it after confirmed O. Is this better?

Losing this little one, so trying to figure out a plan of attack for ttc again (if at all). If I thought the progesterone on board (sooner?) would make a difference, maybe would have more confidence.

I see Infertitility DR on Tues and rheumatologist on Wed for the blood clotting issues so hopefully will get a plan going but real life experiences are always helpful. The infertility doctor had already told me that due to my age "it is probably best to move on". URGH. But definitely getting to that point of wanting to move on because this just sucks out loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm very very sorry that you're going through this again, harley. I'd really been hoping this was going to be a healthy bean for you.

I don't have personal experience using prog but I've read up quite a bit on it since I've always had LP issues. What I do know is that to be effective (assuming low prog is the problem), it pretty much has to be administered right after O to have a chance of being effective enough to prevent the loss. If taken after the lining already starts to shed it's too late.

Also recent schools of thought seem divided on prog.....now it seems like some experts believe that low progesterone is a symptom of a problematic pregnancy and not a cause, so adding prog would only 'prop up' an unhealthy bean that would be lost later on and thus just delaying the inevitable. So I'm not really sure. My unscientific gut feeling is that if you've had successful live births before then low progesterone is more likely going to be a symptom and not a cause.

Again I'm really sorry this is happening again, and I hope you can come to peace with whatever you decide regarding trying again.
    Me (38) and DH (38)

SAHM military momma to DS1 (2004), DS2 (who's all boy but loves to dance, though not in a tutu!) (2006), DS3 (2009), and our rainbow baby girl DD1 (2017)

early m/c Jan 2013

Cycle #1 @ HRC (Oct 2014) - 6 retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and biopsied. 1XX and 1XY abnormal. 1XX no DNA found, rebiopsied and found normal, frozen.
    FET attempt #1 (Nov 2014) - cancelled due to functional cyst. FET attempt #2 (Jan 30, 2015) - NT. Remaining embie failed to thaw.

May 2015 - started infertility treatments at OFC. Femara 2.5mg
    July 2015 - BFP after second round of Femara. Aug 4 2015 - 6w4d
    Dec 21 2015 - mmc 7w1d

Apr 2016 - IVF Cycle #2. Converted to IUI because of uneven response and leading follicles.
    Apr 19, 2016 - IUI with 3 mature follicles (2 right, 1 left), post wash: 17mil, 94% motility and 89% rapid motility. BFN.

June 3, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 5w.
    Sep 1, 2016 - 5mg Femara cycle. 8w.

Our rainbow baby girl arrived on Mon Aug 28, 2017 - "After every storm comes a rainbow". We are so thankful and grateful for every moment.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My experience with using progesterone is that using over-the-counter supplements or taking prescription supplements in cream form or orally will only mask a miscarriage when it does happen. Same with starting supplements once you already know you are pregnant.

With my second son, I started taking Prometrium vaginally as soon as ovulation was confirmed. This was after having had two missed miscarriages in a row (one where I used OTC progesterone cream well after getting a BFP and one where I did not supplement with progesterone at all). I did a lot of other things to prevent miscarriage with that pregnancy so it could have not been the thing that worked, but seeing as it was successful, I will not TTC without progesterone supplementation in the future.
    2007 2011 2014
    2009 2010 2013 (GD sway)

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My RE has me take it starting 3 days after o. I have had two successful full term births without it, but I also have a short luteal phase, so I feel that I can only help and can't hurt. I have had only one m/c with it, and that one was a later loss and almost certainly not due to progesterone issues. Progesterone has many benefits--increasing the uterine lining's receptivity to implantation, increasing the maternal immune system's tolerance of the embryo--and the supplementation has not been shown to increase risks to the embryo. So I feel it's worthwhile to take it.
    But, yes, you need to start soon after ovulation in order to gain full benefit--since this hormone's presence signals to the endometrium to get ready for implantation, you want levels to be higher before the embryo makes its way down the fallopian tube.
    Does it help prevent miscarriage? I think most studies have not shown a clear benefit. Certainly it won't prevent losses if you're dealing with chromosomally abnormal embryos, or with another separate problem. But it probably can't hurt, and might help, so why not use it?
    Last edited by sugarNspice; February 18th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
    our perfect family:

(8) (5) (almost one)

thank you to atomic for helping make my dreams come true

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shit harley, I'm so sorry. My doc gave me the whole "move on senior citizen" speech too.

A friend IRL lost 3 pregnancies in a row, and then had a successful live birth on her 4th go with progesterone suppositories AFTER confirmed O. BUT, she went the same route a couple years later, and another m/c.
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the only time I really get the gist of my age is when I read a People magazine and realize Prince William is balding. THIS makes me feel old. LOL...I remember watching the wedding on TV...and now their child is balding??? You have to be kidding me!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL...there was a character on Survivor this year from a REALLY old tv show called The Facts of Life. And I think there was only one guy on Survivor who actually recognized her. And he was the token old guy. That made me feel ancient.
    Sept 2008 & successful boy sway June 2010.
    M/C Oct 2012

Is DE in my future?

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I knew Blair. Trust me

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am sorry for your loss HQ <3
    Hoping for a pink rainbow!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    RAinbow...I'm still pregnant....I guess a lady can cramp and bleed and still hold a baby because its still there! I really notice the bleeding comes on with activity...if I go do my errands, I come home and I am bleeding so....idk

But my numbers are good right now and I'm getting a draw every 2 days and they suddenly tripled out of nowhere. First ultrasound next week...I will be 9 weeks by then

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast