Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Q for Atomic - folic acid supplements for MTHFR gene mutation

Hi

I’d be very grateful for any insight anyone can give.

After 3 failed FET’s (all aCGH tested, good embryos) I have had some tests done, one of which showed I have a gene mutation for MTHFR. As far as I understand it, the gene produces an enzyme which converts folic acid/folate into the active form the body can use (L-Methylfolate). I have two copies of the faulty gene (homozygous). I’ve pasted a diagram below, to show the relationship between folic acid/folate & L-Methylfolate.

I have 2 more pgd tested embryos which be having transferred (one at a time). To prepare for the next FET, I’m wondering what the best supplement is for me to take. I am very grateful to already have 3 lovely boys, conceived naturally, who are all healthy.

My Dr has recommended I take 4mg of folic acid, my question is have you come across this in the past? I’ve found I can buy L-Methylfolate as a supplement (at one place, it doesn’t seem wide spread) but I’m wondering if the enzyme would be destroyed by stomach acid?

Thank you for any help you can give

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I took 2000 micrograms of folate since I had a few losses. It's the douglas labs methyl folate (L5-MTHF). Methyl folate is just the broken down (methylated) form of folic acid that is more bioavailable to the body, like those with the MTHFR mutation who cannot convert folic acid. I just bought mine on Amazon since it's harder to find in stores.
    '12
    '14
    '15 '15 '16
    🌈 '17 (LE sway opposite)

Dreaming of pink through HT or adoption
    FET January 2021: 1 HBAA XX - BFN
    FET #2 August 2022: 1 HBAA XX - BFP!

3. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you ksmom, that’s really helpful to know someone else has taken the converted form, only being able to find it on one site made me nervous/suspicious of it!

Was the dose of 2000mg prescribed/recommended to you? I would love it if this was the reason behind my 3 failed transfers, as the results of all the other tests have come back as normal.

Thanks for your reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Use the Methylfolate only and even take some care when eating foods with folic acid in them such as breads.

I have lots of people take it after losses and I do believe it makes a difference.

FX and TX for a successful transfer soon!

Oh and one more thing that occurs to me - at the end of the first trimester when it is time to wean back from the higher dose folate to the amount in prenatal, do this GRADUALLY over time. Do NOT just do it suddenly cold turkey. I do not understand why but many IVF docs have you guys just drop supplements when we have found much better outcomes with gradually reducing the dose over time by spacing doses furhter and further out till down to one per week, then you can drop.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ