Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need your opinion... Gender Reveal Party Schedule and I'm unsure!

So when I went for my first trimester screening (when they test for Down syndrome and spina bifida) I was told that my baby was too big to get an accurate result on the nucchal thickening scan, so my OB had me do a new test called NIPT: it's a maternal blood test that looks at the baby's chromosomes and can check for trisomy 18, 23, and 14. It also can look for an x or y chromosome and therefore tell you the sex. I was so excited that I would be able to know the sex of my baby at 14 weeks! So we did the test and planned a big gender reveal party for Dec 1st (this would give us 3 whole weeks to get the results back: we wanted to error on the side of caution even though the lab told us it would only take 7 days). Well we got our results in 10 days when I was 15 weeks 3 days: everything is perfect except they didn't test the gender! They "forgot": We wanted to have it retested but because the lab is in California (we are on the East Coast) and the Thanksgiving holiday, there wouldn't be enough time. We had already invited our entire family to the gender reveal party and people have purchased plane tickets and rearranged work schedules to come to this so we really can't reschedule.
    After a total melt down, I decided to pay for a private ultrasound: According to their website they can tell as early as 16 weeks: I had this sonogram at 16 weeks 4 days. I explained the situation and requested that most senior sonographer do the scan, we had a woman with over 10 years experience: she tells me she is 100% sure that we are having a girl. She pointed out that absolutely nothing is sticking out between the legs and assured me that we got a great "Potty Shot". I see what shes talking about, but I also don't see the "3 lines" that everyone talks about that definetly signifes girl.
    Can you please put my fears to rest and let me know what you think? I'm seriously considering having another scan the morning of the party when I'll be 17 weeks 4 days but the sonographer assured me that it would likely be a waste of money because she would come to the same conclusion.
    What are your thoughts!
    Name:  imagirl.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  56.1 KB

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I say girl...there is nothing between those legs at all!
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say that's a girl!
    2007 2009
    Newest little dude due May 2013

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep its a girl

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    girl

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Most likely a girl
    '04 '07 '10

After ages of praying for a sister for DD, I am proud to announce the birth of my twin baby GIRLS born Oct 31st.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    GIRL

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a girl but were they able to check any markers for Downs? The test you reference doesn't check chromosome 21 so just curious if they checked. Never heard of a baby being too big unless you were further along than 14 weeks and that's what you mean by too big.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    It's a girl but were they able to check any markers for Downs? The test you reference doesn't check chromosome 21 so just curious if they checked. Never heard of a baby being too big unless you were further along than 14 weeks and that's what you mean by too big.
    Thanks for the input on gender! Yes they did test for Downs and a bunch of other abnormalities and Thank God we have been blessed with a "chromosomally perfect" baby as they put it. I know the test I had could definetly check the gender because we had to fill out a form stating we did want to know and had to acknowledge that insurance may not pay for that portion of testing.
    When I went for my first trimester screen I was 13 weeks 4days, but the crown to rump length was longer than expected and they said it looked more like 14 weeks 2 days. We conceived with the help of fertility Drugs so I know that I'm not further along than I think, but my OB said some baby's grow faster than others and that the baby measuring big was not a concern.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for everyone's input on gender!
    I'm so overly anxious about EVERYTHING anymore (damn pregnancy hormones)... I should stop googling "16 week wrong gender scan" as that's clearly not helping!
    Just wanted to be sure that the classic "3 white lines" weren't mandatory and they a little pee pee wasn't going to pop up and surprise us at our 20 week scan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast