Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inglewood View Post
    Sweetpea, no the girls had their own sacs but shared a placenta. The were Monochorionic Diamnotic which means they Share a placenta, but have own sac. I found out at my 12 wks scan and was sent straight away to the main hosp for a detailed scan to see if they shared the placenta or not as if so it's a bit of a higher risk twin pg than fraternal. My placenta was sent away after they were born and I found out about 2mths ago they are true Id twins! Although they do look very alike, so we knew they were. You should find out soon if it's 1/2 placenta's.

Maple, not on Clomid, just did a natural girl sway. My Dh is a twin (has a sister), but I was told that ID twins are just 'random' and as it's the woman that technically splits the egg, then I couldn't say it was due to him being a twin, so what was the chances of that!! lol

My life has been whizzed upside down, but AMAZINGLY so.... My girls have each other forever and I feel so blessed to have twins. I'm lucky my boys are 5 and 9, so can kinna do things for themselves.

Sweetpea, take ALL the help u can get b4 and after they arrive as I didn't and it was silly of me as people were wanting to help. I like u had a scan at 6wks due to pain and was told 1 baby!!! lol So it was a double shock at 12wks to be told 2!! Dh and I sat in silence then burst out laughing...another of Dh's 1st comments was "my car, we need a bigger car with 4 kids" poor guy was devastated!! Don't think he's still over it!!! lol

Also, I found out on 12th oct 2011 it was twins, just days b4 u this time last year!! x
    I love reading your story, Inglewood! That's so fascinating that your twins each had a separate sac, but shared a placenta. Mine have separate sacs, but I have no idea about the placenta. I'm assuming that means then, that separate sacs don't always equal fraternal twins? I suppose there's a chance my egg split and I'm having identical twins, but I think the more likely explanation is that I released two eggs while on Clomid (it was my first ever cycle taking it, but it was a low dose - only 50mg). Anyway, I hope to get more answers as time goes on. I have so many questions for my OB! One thing I'm wondering is if I might still be able to have a vaginal birth, or if twins mean an automatic C-section. I've only had vaginal births in the past. My DS2's birth was an amazing, natural, med-free birth, but I somehow don't think that will happen again, now that I'm pg with twins.

I love that you said your girls will always have each other for life. I've read/heard from other people who are twins, that twins have such a special bond, and that really warms my heart. My boys are 19 months apart, but they will be 3 and 4.5 when the babies are born - I'm really glad that the twins will have each other as buddies, bc my first two are super close to each other. I'm glad that the third won't be the baby that is "trailing behind" everyone else, kwim?

One more thing I'm a bit worried about is nursing twins! I EBF'd both of my boys, never any formula, and it's the one thing in life I feel so good about accomplishing. I'm so glad I could do it for them, even when it was hard (and it definitely was hard at times). I just really, really hope I can do the same for these two babies.

Okay, I've babbled enough! Sorry about that!
    2013: twin boy stillborn at 37 weeks
    Sweet baby boy, you are loved and missed more than you will ever know.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't think of you and wonder what
    you would have been like. I love you and miss you so much.
    Rest now, my baby, in the loving arms of Jesus.

Biggest shock of our lives - surprise BFP! And it's a GIRL!!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Mum, one thing I do know is that fraternal twins are genetic because if a woman releases two eggs on her own, then it's likely for that trait to run in the family. Identical twins are much more rare, and happen at random (not genetic). However, if someone were to release two eggs while on Clomid (which I suspect was the case with me), it wouldn't mean that's a genetic trait, it would just be due to the medication. There are no twins at all that I know of on either side of our family (which is going to make it interesting when we tell people, as I don't really want to share my personal business about being on Clomid, but I don't know how else to explain it).

Just say it was an act of god and you have just been lessed - its no one elses business :-)
    Mummy to 3 gorgeous Boys and FINALLY our baby Girl
    Owen 2004
    Ellis 2006
    Liam 2009
    D Amy 2013

M/C Oct 2012 after 4 months trying

BFP again !! - Nov 2012 - Confirmed Twins at 6+5 then my dreams were crushed at 8+ weeks when one of our twins sadly died.

THANK YOU TO GENDER DREAMING FOR HELPING MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can still have fraternal twins if there's no twins on your side. I did, but i had m/c'd right before so my body released two for some reason! Twins are a lot of work but so much fun and they always have one another! There's a great book called "What to Expect When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads" by Barbara Luke. It is a fabulous book full of great information about what to expect, what to eat, etc. And if you haven't checked out twinstuff.com you should. Everyone there is either expecting twins or already has twins.

I EBF'd my twins for 13 months. I always nursed them together and to me it wasn't any more difficult than nursing one, since they nursed at the same time, it took the same time as 1. It was learning how to burp two at a time etc. I had this special pillow for twins called EZ2 nurse twin pillow. It was a GODsend and well worth the money! I used it the entire time. They used to get excited when they would see me putting the pillow on. Yes, you strap the thing around your waist. LOL! It's totally doable and I hated when people would say, "Are you going to TRY to nurse your twins?" What do you mean try? Yes, i plan on nursing them.
    Last edited by Boymomsrock; October 16th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
    Mom to 3 little men! Age 8 and twins who just turned 6!!

My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations again sweetpea! I always noticed your avatar is two babies heh heh... It's like fate or something

Also, something I read before is that with twins you have a 75% chance of having at least one girl. But I bet you have 2 girls!! The possible combinations are:
    GG
    GB
    BG
    BB

So you see, 3 out of 4 times you will have a girl
    Mom to 3 wonderful boys waiting for our

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Boymomsrock View Post
    You can still have fraternal twins if there's no twins on your side. I did, but i had m/c'd right before so my body released two for some reason! Twins are a lot of work but so much fun and they always have one another! There's a great book called "What to Expect When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads" by Barbara Luke. It is a fabulous book full of great information about what to expect, what to eat, etc. And if you haven't checked out twinstuff.com you should. Everyone there is either expecting twins or already has twins.

I EBF'd my twins for 13 months. I always nursed them together and to me it wasn't any more difficult than nursing one, since they nursed at the same time, it took the same time as 1. It was learning how to burp two at a time etc. I had this special pillow for twins called EZ2 nurse twin pillow. It was a GODsend and well worth the money! I used it the entire time. They used to get excited when they would see me putting the pillow on. Yes, you strap the thing around your waist. LOL! It's totally doable and I hated when people would say, "Are you going to TRY to nurse your twins?" What do you mean try? Yes, i plan on nursing them.
    Thank you for all that info! I just went and downloaded the Kindle version of the book you mentioned, as I've seen it mentioned a couple times on these boards now. I'm going to start reading it tonight. I've also never heard of twinstuff.com, but I'm going to check it out too. Thanks for the info!

It is SO encouraging to hear that you were able to nurse your twins until 13 months! I nursed both my boys using the My Brest Friend nursing pillow (loved it! so much better than the Boppy, IMO), and I think I'll use that again, unless you think the one you mentioned would be better for twins. I don't mind the expense of a really good nursing pillow, because I think it makes a huge difference in the ease of nursing. I really, really want to nurse these babies for at least 13 months, like I did my boys. I would have gone longer than 13 months with DS1, but I was starting my second trimester with DS2, and my milk was fading away, and he was getting less interested, so I took the opportunity to stop. With DS2, I would have nursed him longer than 13 months as well, but I had a very, very difficult time with some things in my life at that point in time (was a bit depressed and very stressed out) and I just had to finish for my sanity's sake. So yeah, with these being my last babies, I would love to make it to 13 months, and even longer if I can. I'll look at it as a new challenge! I had a horrible time getting started nursing DS1, but I was stubborn and determined, and we made it work without a drop of formula! This will just be a new, exciting challenge! I can't wait to be nursing again, it's such a sweet time.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by myGirl View Post
    Congratulations again sweetpea! I always noticed your avatar is two babies heh heh... It's like fate or something
    Haha! I never thought of that! I've had that avatar on message boards (different ones from GD) since I've had DS2. I call my boys my sweetpeas (my baby shower with DS1 was even a sweetpea theme). I've always thought of the avatar as my two boys, but I suppose it could have been a sign for things to come! LOL! That's so funny...I really never thought of it that way until you just mentioned it now.

Also, something I read before is that with twins you have a 75% chance of having at least one girl. But I bet you have 2 girls!! The possible combinations are:
    GG
    GB
    BG
    BB

That's cool! And, I may be dense, but I don't quite get the math here. It looks like the possibilities are girl 3 out of 4 times....but also boy 3 out of 4 times? Am I missing something here? (sorry to be dense)

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations!!!

Mom to a blended family of 5 kids (3 boys, 2 girls), with one more due in late May 2013. We swayed for a girl, but have a sweet baby boy on the way.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

GG
    GB
    BG
    BB

I like this way of looking at things :-)
    Mummy to 3 gorgeous Boys and FINALLY our baby Girl
    Owen 2004
    Ellis 2006
    Liam 2009
    D Amy 2013

M/C Oct 2012 after 4 months trying

BFP again !! - Nov 2012 - Confirmed Twins at 6+5 then my dreams were crushed at 8+ weeks when one of our twins sadly died.

THANK YOU TO GENDER DREAMING FOR HELPING MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum23boys View Post
    Just say it was an act of god and you have just been lessed - its no one elses business :-)
    I agree. People will often say rude things or ask too personal questions. They don't mean to be rude. But I think answering with "We have just been blessed" is such a great answer to those questions.

Mom to a blended family of 5 kids (3 boys, 2 girls), with one more due in late May 2013. We swayed for a girl, but have a sweet baby boy on the way.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Thank you for all that info! I just went and downloaded the Kindle version of the book you mentioned, as I've seen it mentioned a couple times on these boards now. I'm going to start reading it tonight. I've also never heard of twinstuff.com, but I'm going to check it out too. Thanks for the info!

It is SO encouraging to hear that you were able to nurse your twins until 13 months! I nursed both my boys using the My Brest Friend nursing pillow (loved it! so much better than the Boppy, IMO), and I think I'll use that again, unless you think the one you mentioned would be better for twins. I don't mind the expense of a really good nursing pillow, because I think it makes a huge difference in the ease of nursing. I really, really want to nurse these babies for at least 13 months, like I did my boys. I would have gone longer than 13 months with DS1, but I was starting my second trimester with DS2, and my milk was fading away, and he was getting less interested, so I took the opportunity to stop. With DS2, I would have nursed him longer than 13 months as well, but I had a very, very difficult time with some things in my life at that point in time (was a bit depressed and very stressed out) and I just had to finish for my sanity's sake. So yeah, with these being my last babies, I would love to make it to 13 months, and even longer if I can. I'll look at it as a new challenge! I had a horrible time getting started nursing DS1, but I was stubborn and determined, and we made it work without a drop of formula! This will just be a new, exciting challenge! I can't wait to be nursing again, it's such a sweet time.
    I think the boppy sucks too. LOL. I think the breast friend may be similar to the twin one, i'm not sure. I know mine was slightly angled the babies would also be angled slightly or turned in toward you for a football hold. Nursing them together was so sweet, they use to smile at one another and would hold hands. <3 There were occassions where i would nurse them seperately but my letdown was much stronger with both of them and they seemed to get more milk when together.

And people are really stupid and will ask you such dumb questions. I have only been asked a handful of times if they were "natural", yes they naturally came out of my body!! That's usually what I would say! LOL!
    Mom to 3 little men! Age 8 and twins who just turned 6!!

My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast