Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ovidrel & Breastfeeding

Hi Dr. P or anyone who knows,
    I was wondering if I use Ovidrel (hcg trigger shot), can I just pump and dump for 2 weeks until it's out of my system and then resume breastfeeding again?

From what I am reading online, the lower dosage (which is what I'd be on) is out of your system in 2 weeks max.

That is the only drug I'd be using.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by n710; May 13th, 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just bumping, Does anyone know if you can go back to breastfeeding two weeks after an Hcg trigger shot???

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you hoping to cycle while breastfeeding? As far as I know most doctors want you to stop bf a few months before cycling.

As far as hcg in your system while bf goes, I can't imagine that it would hurt the baby. Women get pregnant (and therefore have hcg in their system) and keep nursing all the time. I've never heard of that being a problem. I don't think you would need to pump and dump, but if you feel more comfortable doing that, I'm sure you could resume after two weeks without any issues.

What would you be taking the Ovidrel for?
    2006, 2008, 2011, HT 2012

Cycle #1 @ HRC, March 2012: Pretesting FSH 5.7, AMH 2, AFC 19. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized & to GSN, 2 normal XY, 1 normal XX. Transferred 1XX. 1st beta 9 5dp5dt, 2nd beta 777 12dp5dt, 3rd beta 2823 15dp5dt. 124 at 6w6d (2 large SCHs seen). DD born 3 days overdue - December 2012.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks RC,
    yes, i'd be still nursing. Age wise and DH not wanting to wait if we are going to have another doesn't give me the option of waiting until my youngest is old enough to stop. i have gotten pregnant with all of my kids (except the first of course) while BFing the youngest who has always been under a year.
    I would be doing IUI w/ no clomid, i know i definitely can't breastfeed with that.
    i just wanted to make sure the hcg trigger would be out of the breastmilk at a certain point. it makes sense if it's just hcg and something that your body produces anyway when you ovulate, i just wasn't sure because it's synthetic and if the level in the shot was way above what your body would normally do

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, ok. I think you should definitely be ok to keep nursing then.

When reading about when to POAS after an hcg shot they always say it should be out of your system in about 10 days, so 2 weeks it would definitely be all gone. My bet would be that you could just keep nursing, but pumping and dumping for two weeks would be doable too if you just don't feel confident about it.

GL with the IUI!
    2006, 2008, 2011, HT 2012

Cycle #1 @ HRC, March 2012: Pretesting FSH 5.7, AMH 2, AFC 19. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized & to GSN, 2 normal XY, 1 normal XX. Transferred 1XX. 1st beta 9 5dp5dt, 2nd beta 777 12dp5dt, 3rd beta 2823 15dp5dt. 124 at 6w6d (2 large SCHs seen). DD born 3 days overdue - December 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think you would want to pump and dump. HCG isn't synthetic, it is derived from the urine of pregnant women hence the name Human Chorionic Gonadotropin. So while it is a normal hormone that is made during pregnancy, it is your hormone not someone else's which is why I would think you would want to pump and dump for the length of time it is in your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    ^^^That is exactly what I did and everything has FINALLY worked out for the best. I couldn't be more happier in my life than I am right now with these 2 blessings that were brought into my life.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks ladies, it is so helpful to be able to get someone else's opinion on these things kwim?

michaela, you meant because it is because it's not my hormone and is someone else's that I would want to pump and dump, right?
    "it is your hormone not someone else's which is why I would think you would want to pump and dump for the length of time it is in your body. "

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Firstly congratulations on still breastfeeding. I am a strong advocate for BF'ing and the enormous benefits.
    I would be asking a pharmacist at a hospital for womens fertility this question. I think there is a good chance that it would be ok to continue to BF through the trigger shot time.
    Personally I have just stopped feeding my 14 month old so I can do a full stim cycle and it was a very hard decision.
    Good luck with your IUI.
    Australian couple
    Parents to :4:2: Working with Dr Potter at HRC for our HT :or
    Cycle #1 IVF in Australia (MIVF) 2010, ER 22, 18 fertilized, 6 survived to day 2, 1 TF = Chemical. 5 frozen day 2 - poor quality
    Cycle #2 Aug 12 Dr Potter at HRC. ER 13, 10 mature, 9 fertilized, 8 to Day 3 PGD, 1 normal XX TF= BFN.
    http://genderdreaming.com/forum/cycl...e-hrc-bfn.html
    Sperm frozen at HRC so I can cycle alone next time
    Cycle #3 December 12 Dr Potter HRC. Micro dose Lupron flare with GH. Preparation 12 weeks DHEA, acupuncture, chinese herbs, Metformin and extreme low carb diet. 11 eggs, 7 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 to day 5 Natera, both XY HB. NT :-(
    http://genderdreaming.com/forum/cycl...ansfer-28.html
    Cycle #4March 13 Dr Potter HRC. Micro dose lupron Flare with Follistim 450iu & Menopur 300iu & Saizen GH. Continued acupuncture, chinese herbs, low carb diet, Metformin and DHEA. Added fertility yoga. 31 Eggs, 24 Mature, 18 fertilized, 10 to day 5 aCGH, 4 normal Hatched Blasts- 3 XY and 1 XX. TF day 6 fully HB. 7dpd6t BFP.
    Betas 7dpd6t = 134, 10dpd6t= 432, 12dpd6t = 713, 15dpd6t 2000
    Ultrasound planned 15th April

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Vicky-GL to you too- I usually end up stopping right around 13 months. I am a SAHM so it's actually so much easier too to BF and not have to deal with bottles, etc.
    I am sending all my pink dust

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by n710 View Post
    Hi Dr. P or anyone who knows,
    I was wondering if I use Ovidrel (hcg trigger shot), can I just pump and dump for 2 weeks until it's out of my system and then resume breastfeeding again?

From what I am reading online, the lower dosage (which is what I'd be on) is out of your system in 2 weeks max.

That is the only drug I'd be using.

Thanks for your help.
    IF that is the only drug you will be using this should be fine. What are you using it for?
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast