Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Growth hormone and CJD.

Hi, I have been asked to use a growth hormone this time. This is a sensitive subject for me as my father died of CJD recently and the first question was, has he ever taken a growth hormone.

Do we know is this day and age this drug is safe?

I have been given a couple of options

genotropin 5.83mg or saizen 6mg

The other brand mentioned was
    Humatrope

Would you recommend one being safer than the others?

Do you know if I can order this in the US and get this shipped to me?

Thank you for reading.
    Three monsters ('97, '03, '07) so need an angel. for a
    I have 3 monster boys (who I love) but need my angel dreaming of my healthy

1st Cycle - North Cyprus IVF - Oct 2010 - low AMH and no follicles - Cancelled & CIN3 removed.
    2nd Cycle - Genesis - Feb 2012 - 3 eggs, 2 fertilised = 2 girls. 1 with Edwards and 1 transferred - BFN
    3rd Cycle - Genesis - November 2012 - let's see where this journey ends!

A wise old owl said - Always have a (PAP) smear test before you start on this journey!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, my DD is on it and will likely be for the rest of her life. It's been used for over 30 years with children. I'm not aware of any major medical issues that her doctors are concerned but I have to look at the good versus the risk anyway.

That disease has been around since the 1920s, before growth hormone. It can be genetic and if they think growth hormone can bring it on I'd look into being tested for the gene(they have identified it).

Other than that, it's literally a 1 in a million disease so odds are you'll be fine. I certainly understand your concern though and I'm not even sure it's worth the risk given your fathers conditions and the fact that it hasn't really been proven to help.

I'm sorry about your dad.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There is no additional risk to me as my father had Sporadic CJD. They believe now that lots of the people that got CJD was people that used a growth hormone as this was made from cows abd sadly was contaiminated with CJD.

Several of the clinics in the uk are saying they wouldn't recommend the use of a GH but I think this is just because they are behind the times with ivf.

So my question is what brand is safe to use and how can I obtain it? I am looking for reassurances as I am not getting that from the uk. My risk to CJD is no greater than the next persons, thank goodness! Tganks for your kind words about dad.
    Three monsters ('97, '03, '07) so need an angel. for a
    I have 3 monster boys (who I love) but need my angel dreaming of my healthy

1st Cycle - North Cyprus IVF - Oct 2010 - low AMH and no follicles - Cancelled & CIN3 removed.
    2nd Cycle - Genesis - Feb 2012 - 3 eggs, 2 fertilised = 2 girls. 1 with Edwards and 1 transferred - BFN
    3rd Cycle - Genesis - November 2012 - let's see where this journey ends!

A wise old owl said - Always have a (PAP) smear test before you start on this journey!