Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

When stop Metformin after BFP?

Dear Dr. Potter,

Because of mild PCOS (no insuline resistence) I had to start taking Metformin (2x 850mg a day) 3 months prior to my cycle. I was advised to stop taking Metformin after ET. However I continued taking it 2x 850mg as I knew it could prevent miscarrage. My first beta at 9dp5dt was 290. Do you think it will be safe to stop Metformin in week 8 (don't have enough left to continu after 8 weeks)? Or would I risk a miscarrage (due to glucose levels dropping)? If it would be safe to stop can I stop cold turkey or should I decrease slowly?

I read so many contrary messages on the internet I don't know what to do. Hope you can help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inmydreams View Post
    Dear Dr. Potter,

Because of mild PCOS (no insuline resistence) I had to start taking Metformin (2x 850mg a day) 3 months prior to my cycle. I was advised to stop taking Metformin after ET. However I continued taking it 2x 850mg as I knew it could prevent miscarrage. My first beta at 9dp5dt was 290. Do you think it will be safe to stop Metformin in week 8 (don't have enough left to continu after 8 weeks)? Or would I risk a miscarrage (due to glucose levels dropping)? If it would be safe to stop can I stop cold turkey or should I decrease slowly?

I read so many contrary messages on the internet I don't know what to do. Hope you can help!
    Metformin is safe during pregnancy (category B). I usually stop it at week12 when the risk of miscarriage is less.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect