Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

No anesthesia Retreval

Dr. Potter
    I have had anesthesia problems in the past, once with a knee surgery and twice with the test epidural for my daughter. In both instances my blood pressure dropped extremely low and bottomed out. Now, to say the least, I am very fearful of anesthesia. I know that it is not usual practice to do a retreval without anesthesia but is it ok? I have also been diagnosed with PCOS so I know that a lot of eggs are possible.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not Dr Potter but I have heard that it is extremely painful. I am not sure how long the needle is that goes up and all the way through you, but I can't imagine not being under for it. I would seriously consider using anesthesia.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah that would hurt like no other but this anesthesia shouldn't be as deep as your knee surgery. This one is called the twilight sedation and feels like a great nap! Interested to see what options there are for this type of situation.
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    ^^^That is exactly what I did and everything has FINALLY worked out for the best. I couldn't be more happier in my life than I am right now with these 2 blessings that were brought into my life.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Twilight Sedation is a much lighter anesthesia and you require no breathing tubes. It is not the same as a full GA. I have had a GA twice and it took me at least 12 hours to open my eyes! I was so sleepy. After the Twilight Sedation I was back to my normal self within 5-10 minutes.
    One perfect
    One perfect Thank you Dr P, Lori and Microsort!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In Australia egg retrieval is performed under local anesthetic, I hope someone else might post about having it done this way. I know it is painful but bearable. If I could choose though, I would opt for twilight, but I am a sook!

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was told if I wanted I could get a combination of valium and something else. I don't quite remember. The knee surgury was local anesthesia. It was an arthroscopic laser surgery. There was not supposed to be but a short recovery time. I had to stay in the hospital overnight for observation afterwards due to the blood pressure situation and bottoming out.
    The other was with an epidural. I actually also had my appendix removed with no problem with general anesthesia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by anxiousandready View Post
    Dr. Potter
    I have had anesthesia problems in the past, once with a knee surgery and twice with the test epidural for my daughter. In both instances my blood pressure dropped extremely low and bottomed out. Now, to say the least, I am very fearful of anesthesia. I know that it is not usual practice to do a retreval without anesthesia but is it ok? I have also been diagnosed with PCOS so I know that a lot of eggs are possible.
    The BP drops with the test injection during epidural anesthesia when they are in the wrong space. It is a completely different type of anesthesia that is used for an egg retrieval. Hypotension is very, very rate. I would discuss these concerns with the anethesiologist prior to your procedure so that they can reassure you.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    I'm not Dr Potter but I have heard that it is extremely painful. I am not sure how long the needle is that goes up and all the way through you, but I can't imagine not being under for it. I would seriously consider using anesthesia.
    In the early part of my career, it was common place to use local and a little bit of narcotic for an egg retrieval. It was at best very uncomfortable. It would be sort of like the dentist sticking you over and over in the gums with a needle. Women are better at tolerating pain than men but I know I could not do it.
    Daniel A. Potter, MD
    Medical Director, HRC Fertility Newport Beach, California
    Laboratory Director, Natera (formerly Gene Security Network)
    http://www.amazon.com/What-When-You-...keywords=hanin
    http://www.danielapottermd.com
    @ivfgenderselect

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank yo Dr. Potter for your quick response. I know it may be a little extreme but that feeling of not being able to waken when you are not supposed to be asleep and nurses squeezing saline in their armpits trying to pump fluid while pushing epinephrine in is a little scary! I will take your advice and speak with the anethesiologist as well as try and get my records from the previous experiences. It was strange but both times, the first with the anethesiologist and the 2nd with the anesthetist, the admisitrator of the meds came to visit me the next day to check on me saying that it was a very unusual reaction. It really unnerved me to say the least!

Thanks again!