Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't want to do immunity testing just go with FISH.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ok, now you guys have me worries and i have an email into my doctors nurse.
    When do you do this immunity testing? Does it take long? Is it just a blood test? How long for results? What is the treatment? Medication you take during your cycle?
    2005; 2007; 2009; arrived 6/28/14!!
    5 failed IVF/PGD's 2010-2012
    Ectopic pregnancy 2013 that caused IC

Emergency cerclage at 18 wks & Suffered through months of strict bed rest to keep this little man baking. My water broke at 31w4d and He finally arrive June 28 at 32 weeks!
    He is so strong and perfect! Truly my little angel.

-God, Grant me the Serenity to Accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to Change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the Difference-

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by prayforprincess View Post
    ok, now you guys have me worries and i have an email into my doctors nurse.
    When do you do this immunity testing? Does it take long? Is it just a blood test? How long for results? What is the treatment? Medication you take during your cycle?
    If you do decide to do the testing you need to be doing it with a doctor that understands it all. You want someone experienced in this area and I wouldn't go to just anybody. Dr. Braverman is the only one that will treat you while you are working with another doctor. Meaning he acts as a consultant for the immune stuff but you get to stay with your clinic for the cycle part.

The testing is extensive and expensive. It is all blood tests and can cost around $2500 but it wouldn't surprise me if your insurance paid for most of it since you seem to have great coverage. Some of my tests were covered and I believe I ended up paying around $1750-$2000 total.

Treatment all depends on the issues you have. For me I am supposed to be on IVIg which is about $2500 per infusion and the average person needs 4-5 of them for their pregnancy. I can't afford that option so I am going with Intralipids which for me are only $36 as I have two SIL's that are nurses as well as my mom and they can do the infusion for me instead of having to hire a home health nurse to do it. Going the home health route is typically around $400 per infusion and again you need about 5 of those for the pregnancy.

There is also blood clotting issues that could require Lovenox. There are inflammatory issues that require a low dose steroid. Basically there are so many different treatment options depending on what the issues are. That is why it is important to go to someone who is versed in this immune stuff as it isn't something that just every RE can deal with. There is so much that goes into reading these labs it is crazy!

Anyway, there are quite a few of us now who have gone through it or are going through it so ask any questions you have and we will try and help you!
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    ^^^That is exactly what I did and everything has FINALLY worked out for the best. I couldn't be more happier in my life than I am right now with these 2 blessings that were brought into my life.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been reading up on all this and found this:

What are Natural Killer (NK) cells?

NK cells are one type of lymphocyte - an immune cell - normally circulating in blood.
    The lining of the womb contains immune cells that resemble NK cells in many ways, so they are called uterine NK cells.

But there are two main differences:

Uterine NK cells are not found in the blood. They occur only in the lining of the womb during early pregnancy, while the embryo is implanting itself there and the placenta is developing. Therefore some doctors and scientists strongly doubt whether any meaningful information about uterine NK cells can be obtained from a blood sample.
    There is no evidence that uterine NK cells are destructive and attack placental or embryonic cells.

What tests are offered?
    Some clinics offer blood tests to measure the level of NK cells in your blood and how effectively they kill invader cells. But these blood tests will only measure blood NK cells and can´t measure or test uterine NK cells. There is no strong evidence that the number and activity of NK cells in the blood says anything about the number and activity of your uterine NK cells.

So these tests, and any treatment based on them, are in their early days and there is very little scientific evidence to show they are effective.

What evidence is there to show these treatments work?

These tests and treatments are very new. They are based on claims that women who have repeated miscarriages or failed IVF had raised levels of NK cells in the blood; and on studies of pregnancies in these women after being treated with IVIg. However, the research studies may not be valid because of the differences between blood NK and uterine NK cells. And because the sample of patients was small, there are doubts about the value of the research results.

Three additional trials have suggested that IVIg may help prevent miscarriage. But the results are not reliable as too few patients took part and their treatments varied.

To date (March 2010), there is little scientific proof that these treatments are effective in improving your chance of having a baby. The little evidence currently available is strongly questioned by other clinicians and experts.

Professional guidance suggests that you should only be offered these therapies as part of clinical trials that are prospective, randomised and controlled (in other words, trials where the method of analysis is decided beforehand; patients are assigned randomly to one of the treatments being compared; and the new treatment is being tested against at least one well-tried treatment). Also, doctors should assess the results from these trials before drawing reliable conclusions about their potential benefits.

I really don't know what to think.

Emergency cerclage at 18 wks & Suffered through months of strict bed rest to keep this little man baking. My water broke at 31w4d and He finally arrive June 28 at 32 weeks!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are many doctors who simply don't understand immunology, or how to read the results, and therefore reject them. I had slightly elevated NK cells in my blood but very elevated uterine NK cells, which are basically going to cause me to reject any embryo, normal or not. If you're going to pursue this, it must be with someone who believes in and understands it. We're not trying to worry or scare you, just to prevent you from repeating cycles without results or answers. And the research you posted is now 2 years old.
    Last edited by Bambina; March 30th, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bottom line is you will have more doctor's that don't believe in it than do. I 100% believe in people having immune issues and so therefore I took the steps to be tested. Thank goodness I did as I have a slew of issues. Anyway, Dr. Braverman has a website and Dr. Sher has written plenty of blog posts about immune issues if you want to read articles that are in favor of them. If you want to find articles that do not favor them there are plenty out there to read. It all comes down to how much you believe transferring normal embryos and miscarrying them is a fluke. I personally don't think it is a fluke so therefore I went the immune testing route.

And I totally agree with Jaybz last post that she typed while I was typing mine. LOL!
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    ^^^That is exactly what I did and everything has FINALLY worked out for the best. I couldn't be more happier in my life than I am right now with these 2 blessings that were brought into my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dr. Sher just wrote a blog post about some of this on the 27th. You will also be able to go to the tags on the right and read more about immune stuff. SIRM is fantastic with regards to helping people out via their forum as well as providing tons of information on their blogs. They just redid their website and each doctor has a blog section if you are interested. It is too bad they don't deal with outside patients but that is what Braverman is for! He also has a forum and is awesome when it comes to helping people out!

IVF Authority: IVIG & Intralipid Therapy in IVF: Interpreting Natural Killer Cell Activity for Diagnosis and Treatment

Braverman's site...
    Reproductive Immunology | Multiple Miscarriages

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not trying to post negative things about it, just wondering your thoughts on what I found. It was a 2 second google and the first thing I read. My kids wanted me to build a power ranger so I could not search for other info at the time.
    Is it really that common when one has had so many successful pregnancies? I have had 5 successful pregnancies with no miscarriages or issues at all. My 1st and only mc was the one doing ivf.
    What about taking baby aspirin? Could that be a good thing?
    I did find this bit of info on baby aspirin: "I believe it does suppress natural killer cells in the uterus, so it is used for those with immune problems. But, it also improves blood flow to the ovaries, improving follicle development, and improves blood flow to the uterus, improving the quality of the uterine lining. This increases the odds that implantation will be successful."

I feel like taking low does apsirin can't hurt, so why not give it a try? I was reading about so many women who did not have success and then started an aspirin regimen and had success.
    Are you ladies taking that as well?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I'll be taking baby aspirin along with Clexane (Lovenox) and Prednisolone (steroids) to cover all bases.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wrote a email to my nurse asking if I can start taking aspirin daily.
    I really hope this helps. I can't believe how many people say they believe it made all the difference in their success. I hope I can be one of them soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast