Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

aCGH vs. 5 probe FISH ???

I do understand that the aCGH checks the full 24 chromosomes -- so that is better.
    My doctor does recommend it, as the cost is similar -- until you have more than 8 embryos, and then the cost starts to go way up.
    With my current RE I got 17 eggs last cycle -- I am presuming this time will be similar.
    My dh and I are hesitant to spend more money than need be on this since we have had no luck in the past. For us, IVF and the med's are 100% covered by insurance (not b/c we have fertility issues though), so we are only paying for the pgd and embryo biopsy.

My 1st cycle I had 1 "normal" xx / 2nd cycle had 3 normal xx / 3rd cycle had "normal" 2 xx.
    So my thought -- whether I do aCGH or FISH, I generally only have 2-3 xx. That is what is going to be transferred anyway so whether I pay more to know more is not going to change the inevitable outcome.
    One of my cycles I did 5-probe and got pg with both xx transferred. I did miscarry but then did a tissue analysis and both were perfect 24-chrom embryos.
    My 3rd cycle I transferred 2 normal aCGH xx and did not get pg. So in my experience, just because I know all the 24 chrom's are perfect, it does not help them to implant or me to stay pg.
    If I do FISH and have more than 2-3 xx (which would be amazing, but unlikely) then they are going to choose the best most developed 2 xx to transfer. I can freeze the rest and do a FET if need be.

My question is -- given my situation, does it really matter that I am not doing aCGH and only choosing to do the 5probe FISH? We feel regardless of the testing the outcome is going to be the same, so spending more money seems foolish since knowing more is not going to help me get pg if we only have 2 or 3 embryos to transfer anyway.
    Is this logical thinking?
    Last edited by prayforprincess; March 30th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
    2005; 2007; 2009; arrived 6/28/14!!
    5 failed IVF/PGD's 2010-2012
    Ectopic pregnancy 2013 that caused IC

Emergency cerclage at 18 wks & Suffered through months of strict bed rest to keep this little man baking. My water broke at 31w4d and He finally arrive June 28 at 32 weeks!
    He is so strong and perfect! Truly my little angel.

-God, Grant me the Serenity to Accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to Change the things I can and the Wisdom to know the Difference-

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What immunity testing have you had? With your history something seems like it is affecting the implantation and growth.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you talking day 3 options?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My RE does not think that immunity testing is necessary or would even be an issue for me.
    First off, he says the tests are no standardized and even the most fertile women with 10 children could be diagnosed as "abnormal" for whatever reason.
    All my blood tests (which have been dozens), eggs, uterus, tubes etc. have all been perfect; and the fact that I have had 3 successful pregnancies on my own plus 2 other pregnancies prior to that - he said tells him that I obviously have no immunity issues.

With our 1st cycles we only had 1 xx to transfer. The quality was not great and we only did 5-probe, so there could have been some unknown.
    Our 2nd cycle was 5-probe and I did get pg, mc and had a tissue analysis showing all 24 chrom's where perfect. I believe my reason for miscarriage was uterine cramping caused by sex. I realize that doctors do not think that sex causes miscarriage, and it might very well not cause it but could lead to it in certain cases. I know I was perfectly fine before hand and then while my dh and I were in the act (which I never should have done but always had in my other pregnancies so thought no different) it was so very painful. So painful I should have stopped it but I just let him finish. I literally could not even get up to walk when it was over I was in so much pain. I told my dh I think I am having a miscarriage the cramping was so severe. I even called my re that night and they said that sometimes your cervix is sensitive in pregnancy and deep intercourse hitting your cervix could cause the cramping, and not to worry -etc. Anyway, the next day the bleeding started and it was all downhill from there. I had even had an ultrasound and saw the h/b. I swear on anything, if that night never happened I just might have had my baby girls.
    With cycle #3 -- the 2 "normal" xx were not graded that good. They were pre-blast and just were not the best of the bunch. I did have 2 really good looking embryos but they were both boys.

So, I think that ultimately I just have not had luck and great looking female embryos.
    Last edited by prayforprincess; March 30th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Emergency cerclage at 18 wks & Suffered through months of strict bed rest to keep this little man baking. My water broke at 31w4d and He finally arrive June 28 at 32 weeks!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    yes, day 3 biopsies

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I couldn't use day 3 CGH and it isn't recommended for GS. I am sure there are several ladies on her that will beg to differ with your RE. A miscarriage and BFN with perfect embryos? I wouldn't cycle again without testing.

I would never use day 3 CGH for GS.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Understand.
    Just because the 24 chromosomes pan out to be "normal" does not necessarily mean the embryo is perfect from what I have been told.
    There are still 100's and 100's of genes etc. that cannot be testing and if any of those are not normal then the embryo is not healthy. Doing pdg helps to choose the better embryos but does not guarantee success with them.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Please push for immune testing. My RE was convinced I didn't have any issues but it turned out I have several. It's not just bad luck to get several BFNs, chemicals and miscarriages with normal embryos, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is too bad your doctor feels that way about immune testing as there are plenty of women who have had successful pregnancies but can't get pregnant again. Lillylolly comes to mind, if she wouldn't have had immune testing/treatment then she most likely would not be pregnant right now.

With that said if your doc doesn't believe in it then that means he would have no clue how to test, read the results and treat you should something come up. If immune issues are of a concern to you and you want to look into it further, Dr. Braverman is an excellent doctor for this and deals with lots of patients whose docs are against immune testing. Something beyond the embryo seems to be going on here so I would look into it if this were me. Definitely just my 2 cents but IMO this should not be happening.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    ^^^That is exactly what I did and everything has FINALLY worked out for the best. I couldn't be more happier in my life than I am right now with these 2 blessings that were brought into my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybz View Post
    Please push for immune testing. My RE was convinced I didn't have any issues but it turned out I have several. It's not just bad luck to get several BFNs, chemicals and miscarriages with normal embryos, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sometimes the best thing you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine, not obsess. Just breathe, and have faith that everything will work out for the best.
    ^^^That is exactly what I did and everything has FINALLY worked out for the best. I couldn't be more happier in my life than I am right now with these 2 blessings that were brought into my life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast