Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by iyamaryam View Post
    With my dd1 she is Nov 15, I like the fact that she could get in because she needed the socialization and benefits of getting into school early. With dd2 she is "brighter" so holding her back for the required year might not be such a bad thing, and she has her "little" teacher n me working on her anyway
    ohh cut off in new york is dec 1st ... so could it b possible i register my dd2(21st nov) in new york and then transfer in new jersey after 2 months ??? what do you think ?? i dont wanna waste her whole year just like urs my dd1 is way brighter than dd2.
    2007 2009 and TTC in 2012

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 3boys View Post
    My eldest is Aug 24th and the youngest in the year. He was just four when he started school (reception class) his best mate was 5 three weeks after! He def struggles with his concentration!
    yea 4 is much younger but my dd would b almost 5 , if she would get admitted, but after one year she would b almost 6, way too older than other kids
    2007 2009 and TTC in 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would not matter if you register her in ny and then transfer to NJ they would see her birthdate and she would not qualify by state law.
    9899030508 1012 for a one day.Summer 20017 pink sway is a go!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a brother with a summer birthday and the cutoff here is end of August/September and my parents sent him to school right after turning 5. He was little all the way through school and did not grow until his Senior year of HS. My mom totally regretted not holding him back another year and waiting until he was 6 to start school. I have held my DD with an August birthday back and waited until she was 6 to start kindergarten and I will do the same with DS who is also a summer birthday. My sister teaches second grade here and she says the younger kids are very obvious by then and it has nothing at all to do with academics- it is social maturity. I love the fact that my DD is one of the oldest in her class. She has tons of self confidence not being the little kid/young kid and I love that. I totally recommend waiting and giving the young ones that extra year! I also did not want her to be the last one to get her drivers license and be in the car with another teenage driver! I'd rather take my chances with her driving someone else around because she got her license first. Also, going to college at 19 is great to me instead of just turning 18. There were lots of factors that went into our decision to wait that extra year.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I homeschool and I'm not starting DS1 until he is 6. I believe in a late start. Let em be kids for as long as possible. I've heard of parents holding their boys back as late as possible to improve their sports. They'll be bigger and have an advantage. Interesting thought and one of those things I had no idea people did.
    16yrs 7yrs & 4yrs
    DS#2 died day of his birth 12/15/10

Praying and swaying for a precious baby boy but being blessed with a instead

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvmyman View Post
    I homeschool and I'm not starting DS1 until he is 6. I believe in a late start. Let em be kids for as long as possible. I've heard of parents holding their boys back as late as possible to improve their sports. They'll be bigger and have an advantage. Interesting thought and one of those things I had no idea people did.
    I agree with let them be a kid! Regarding the sports thing, it is not just trying to make them some huge athlete but it is their self-confindence that the extra year, I think, can help with. I mean, how many people do you know that still dwell on what happened in HS??? Too many and if something simple like the extra year can help with that, I am all for it! But, here, little boys are definitely held back more so than girls and I am sure sports factor into the decision.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    I agree with let them be a kid! Regarding the sports thing, it is not just trying to make them some huge athlete but it is their self-confindence that the extra year, I think, can help with. I mean, how many people do you know that still dwell on what happened in HS??? Too many and if something simple like the extra year can help with that, I am all for it! But, here, little boys are definitely held back more so than girls and I am sure sports factor into the decision.
    That's a great point and very true. I agree that especially most boys could really use that extra time to mature. I would've given DD2 another year but she needed speech therapy and we couldn't afford to do it on our own. We homeschooled w/ the district her K year.
    16yrs 7yrs & 4yrs
    DS#2 died day of his birth 12/15/10

Praying and swaying for a precious baby boy but being blessed with a instead

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to homeschool my kids but I have decided to send them to a Waldorf school but they will not started until the fall after they turn 6 (Feb and Mar), so they will be 6 1/2 when they start. We are going to skip pre-k and kindergarten because the Waldorf education view is that kids don't need school before 1st grade and should be allowed to play and mature before school.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DD1 missed the cutoff by 1 day! I don't know why is this a big worry for you?Research confirms later school start better for learning and safety. A lot better to start later then earlier. She is fine in 7th grade now and really we never even think about that she started school later.It's just don't matter at all ,for us or in school , her friends, really to nobody.
    +1

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My 1st daughter is the oldest in her class and she was born in January. My 2nd daughter is the youngest in her class and born in December. December is the cut off here in NY. I can definately see the difference. In Kindergarten for my older daughter being my 2nd one was still a baby, I had another lady put her on and off the yellow school bus. But my middle daughter starts Kindergarten in September and I would not even trust another person to put her on the bus. I am still afraid she can even try to run away. I will just have somebody come here to watch the baby instead of somebody taking both my girls to the bus. She in my eyes is still my baby. I do not feel I can do the things I did with my older one with my younger one. She is not at the same maturity level.

Now my older one adjusted to Kindergarten so well. I do not know about my middle one starting September who will be the youngest in her class? The preschool she goes to now is so laid back also.
    2003 2006 May 2010 (My VBA2C baby)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12