Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

breast feeding issues

Hi everyone. I am having such a hard time breast feeding this time around. I successfully breast fed all 3 boys till they were 18 months old. This time around I had extremely sore nipples from poor latch early on. Now DD is 2 weeks old and nipples are getting better but she makes a clicking sound the whole time she's nursing. Everything I read indicates poor latch but she seems to be doing well. She is very gassy and spits up a lot too (this was going on while still in hospital). Anyone else have this problem...should I just see a LC? I don't remember my other kids making a clicking sound the whole time nursing. It also does not feel like she is breaking the seal so I'm really confused what I should do. any advice is appreciated--thanks!
    3 handsome s!
    our sway worked!
    Thought we were done...but expecting a surprise #5 nub looks promising for --shock of our life!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's my thoughts

The clicking is probably from over active letdown(do you have a lot of milk?). She's gassy and spitting up because she's getting too much at once and potentially too much foremilk without enough hindmilk. What you need to do is nurse from one side only during a nursing session. If you are already doing this, you need to stay on the same side for more than one session to completely drain the breast before moving over to the full side. Just let the other breast drip milk into a towel and hand express enough to help with the engorgement. Also, if you can feed her upright so she is laying tummy to tummy, but you can then lean back against the couch and have less gravity pouring the milk into her mouth, that works well too. Plus, they tend to get a better latch when they are upright. Was she checked for tongue tie?

xo J
    Crunchy Mama to 3 rambunctious boys~ '06 :bike: '08 '10

Our beautiful is here!!

Felina Lilyanne was born at home ~ 4/12!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to ask about tongue tie. Had similar issues with one of my twins and he had a tongue tie that needed surgery at 10wks. A nipple shield helped a lot in the meantime. Good luck.
    Step (17)
    Step (15) & (12)
    Our IVF/ICSI twins (6) (OHW)
    Our HT DD (2)

14Cycle 1 (Dr Lin, CA): ER 14 Jan 2011. 5 eggs, 4 mature and fertilised w/ ICSI. 2 probe. Put back 2 XX's. 5dp5dt - BFP. 9dp5dt - 64. 13dp5dt - 81 Stop meds. 19dp5dt - 330. 22dp5dt - 890. 3 scans show small empty sac not progressing. Final scan before D&C at 7w5d shows HB 116 & a 5.5mm embryo measuring 6w1d. 8w4d - HB 144 & fetus is 11.5mm! 9w4d - no HB.....

Cycle 2 (Genea): ER 8 July 2011 (after 10 wks on DHEA). 9 eggs, 5 fertilised w/ ICSI, 2 embryo's sent for aCGH day 6 biopsy. 29 July - both normal XX's!!!

Cycle 3 (Genea): Natural FET 15 March 2012. 4dp5dt BFP. 9dp5dt - 251. 12dp5dt - 949. HB 133 @ 6w3d. Born 6 Nov 2012.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember my first making clicking sounds too. He had a tongue tie but it was snipped in the hospital. It was EXTREMELY painful feeding him. I mean for the whole 12 months!!! Would also recommend a nipple shield, it got me through. Always nice to talk to a LC if you've got access to one. In Oz the child health centres have one you can see without paying.
    Good luck
    8 6 wishing for a
    Cycle 1 HRC in June 2011- cancelled cycle, no response at all.
    Cycle 2 at SART start stims Oct 10th Another cancelled cycle. No response.
    Cycle 3 at SART, started stims Dec 31st, cancelled AGAIN.
    Cycle 4 Donor eggs in South Africa May 2012, freezing and shipping to USA for PGD
    FET- 19th July- NT (only 2 normals, both boys)
    Cycle 5 Last shot- donor eggs at Genesis- Cyprus using his sperm sort, Jan 2013 BFN
    FET Feb 2013 BFP Miscarriage @ 6 wks.
    FET June 2013. On metaformin now for Insulin resistance. Mental health starting to border on insanity now. BFN
    FET July 2013. Last embie BFN

Cycle 6 Really truly last shot- Donor eggs HRC, planned all freeze Feb, 7XX frozen immune treatment for me
    FET May 2014 BFP Miscarriage @ 8 weeks
    FET Nov 2014 BFP Miscarriage @ 12 weeks
    FET Oct 2015 BFP Blighted ovum confirmed @ 8 weeks. Miscarriage.

SURROGACY!!!!! FET 1xx Feb 4th BFP, HB seen

My precious baby girl arrived Oct 19th 2016

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks for the advice. I was up with her all night, she was so gassy and I've tried changing my diet drastically. She still clicks but I'm going to try to empty one breast completely and see if she can get more hind milk. Going to have her checked for tongue tie too...my nipples aren't that sore anymore, just a little but definitely tolerable. I think she's over feeding cause she spits up so much and I can tell I'm producing too much milk. I have began pumping cause I'm hoping DH can help with feedings if I'm away for more than 2 hours at a time. I hold her upright after each feeding which helps with the spitup and she loves sleeping on her belly but I can only do that during the day when I can watch her. Last night was just so horrible...praying tonight will be a better night! thanks for the advice ladies..anything else that worked for you....I will gladly take the advice!
    3 handsome s!
    our sway worked!
    Thought we were done...but expecting a surprise #5 nub looks promising for --shock of our life!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Both my boys and I had tounge ties (assuming 3rd will to) mine was never cut but my boys were they nursed great within 24hrs. I also had a strong let down. I ended up nursing with a receiving blanket slipped into the nursing bra for dripping while burping. I nursed the boys while they were in an almost up right postion (their butts right at my belly button) and then every 5-8mins I would burp them and then continue nursing. I would either carry them upright while they napped or swaddle them and place on a boppy pillow (pillow was snugly placed in a bassinet).
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had an oversupply with DS2 and I'm trying to remember when it settled down - but it definitely did! I think it may have been after around 8 weeks. I second what DM said about feeding in a laid back position (you, not the baby!) and sticking with one side. I'm dubious of pumping because I did it a lot with DS2 (I have no idea why!) and I wonder whether that contributed more to the oversupply by fooling my body into believing I needed to produce more milk than I actually did iykwim?
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah...pumping shouldn't be started until your supply regulates- around the 6w mark.
    Crunchy Mama to 3 rambunctious boys~ '06 :bike: '08 '10

Our beautiful is here!!

Felina Lilyanne was born at home ~ 4/12!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh that makes sense...I did pump a few times at the beginning cause I was so engorged and i wanted to have a few bottles ready in case my mom or DH needed to feed her when I was gone for more than 2 hours (ds had activities to go to). Anyway, the clicking is less now and I do think it is due to the let down. She's gotten so much better and i'm happy to say she is sleeping MUCH better now too1 Woo Hoo!
    3 handsome s!
    our sway worked!

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How did you get on with this? my DS did it too...