Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    omg great site! I didn't know this existed. There's even a section toward the bottom where people put comments of exactly how they were bullied/etc with their name. (Interestingly, no one with the spelling "Aine" reported the "get up ON YA" sexual reference bullying, but they did for the spellings Ania and Anya - not to say it doesn't happen, but using the other spellings certainly aren't going to help in that regard!)

Aine | Should You Name Your Baby Boy or Girl Aine | Baby Names World

I'm storing this site in my back pocket!
    Last edited by Ribbons; May 23rd, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Supermom to DS1 (1996) & DS2 (2009) & DS3 (2013) & my HT beauty DD4 (2015)
    -=-=-
    • Failed sway attempt in 2012... read my girl sway
    • HT cycle #1 HRC June 2014: 13 eggs, 12 mature, 12 fertilized, 9 biopsied, 5 normals (3XX/2XY) - transferred 1XX HEB AB... 4dp6dt BFP!!! HB 125bpm seen 6w3d
    • FET cycle #1 HRC Dec 2016: PUPO with DD5!! BFP POAS 4dp6dt!!! 1XX HB AA <3 <3 <3

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    I'm having a really hard time letting go of the spelling, because any other way makes it an entirely different meaning.

Maybe I should just go with Sophia after all... and we could make Aine a middle name... I'd start out calling her Aine, but she could always change it to Sophia if it caused problems!

I was getting all excited about the name Esme too... then I realized it was in Twilight. So, scratch that...

Naming girls = hard!
    I know, I've always loved Esme (my ex hated it, so our girls got different names, but this DH loves it) and then there ya go, a stupid fad movie goes and ruins it! I just can't name after a popular movie or celeb that is hot at the time, I am not good with the comments.
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.
    UPDATE: surprise bfp in Feb 2013! It's a BOY!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We named DS1 Quinten and as you can plainly see that is an unusual spelling for Quentin/Quinton, but to me Quinten just fit him perfectly, and I'm sure he will have to a time spelling it out because everyone's gonna want to spell "quinton"

My husband has a very common name with an unusal spelling. He has to spell his name for everyone because how its spelled is different than ppl would think to pronounce. Besides that, he was the one who really wanted to give Quinten a unique spelling.

Evan we stuck to easy to spell and pronouce, Lillian will be easy. Quinten's so proud of his name, he tells everyone he meets "i'm quinten" i just hope he still loves it.

I hated my name growing up (Virginia) because I was the only one I knew with the name plus I also lived in the state of the same name. I got teased for it a lot "Your mom named you after the state???" which I wouild reply, "no it's a family name" (grandmother's). Once i got out of school though, I really embraced it and I've take ownership of it.

Unique names/spellings are so tricky...they may go perfectly or they make make the child upset!
    2007 / 2011 / 2012

Link to my girl sway: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...-its-girl.html

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anya? ETA I just read the rest of the thread and I see several other people suggested this. I do think Aine looks prettier somehow tho.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; May 28th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quinten is easy to pronounce tho, don't you think?? For me it wasn't just the spelling thing, it was the spelling and pronouncing and there were SOOO many ways to spell and mispronounce Kristin.

I do think any unusual name is probably easier to pull off now than it once was, simply because there are so many unusual names out there now. It is probably a lot less an issue than it once was.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; May 28th, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It depends where you live too - in the town where we live anything seems to go!!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by zanacal View Post
    It depends where you live too - in the town where we live anything seems to go!!
    Yep - this is another reason why I might be able to pull it off... I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where names like "Rainbow", "Thor" and "Strawberry" are commonplace
    Supermom to DS1 (1996) & DS2 (2009) & DS3 (2013) & my HT beauty DD4 (2015)
    -=-=-
    • Failed sway attempt in 2012... read my girl sway
    • HT cycle #1 HRC June 2014: 13 eggs, 12 mature, 12 fertilized, 9 biopsied, 5 normals (3XX/2XY) - transferred 1XX HEB AB... 4dp6dt BFP!!! HB 125bpm seen 6w3d
    • FET cycle #1 HRC Dec 2016: PUPO with DD5!! BFP POAS 4dp6dt!!! 1XX HB AA <3 <3 <3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do like the spelling of it Anya...I think it lends itself to being better pronounced in that form.
    2007 / 2011 / 2012

Link to my girl sway: http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...-its-girl.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Yep - this is another reason why I might be able to pull it off... I live in Santa Cruz, CA, where names like "Rainbow", "Thor" and "Strawberry" are commonplace
    LOL! I say go for it, then! I do like the Aine spelling, it is kind of a cooler version, although I do like Anya or Anye also. See, where I live, it would not be very well accepted to name a baby Pilot Inspektor or some crazy thing like that.
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.
    UPDATE: surprise bfp in Feb 2013! It's a BOY!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My son's name is "unusual" I guess but still rather normal, but we've had every reaction imaginable to it, like my older brother saying, "You're not going to name him THAT are you?!" (We had the name picked out years before we got pregnant with him!)
    We also ALWAYS get, "Is he named after Otis Redding?"

We say, "No, he's named after and for his own self!"

People like to think they are being clever, don't they? :P
    2010 - 1 DS
    2012 - Tried for a DD , and it worked!
    2013 - DD
    2017 - DD - didn't sway***

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast