Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    People tend to stick to 2 here too! We are having 3 by surprise (twins) and I am very excited. I always wanted 3 and DH wanted 2 and I'm getting my wish in 2 pregnancies. Do what feels right for your family and dont worry about what the trends are.

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We have 4 children. That's not super uncommon around here in Arkansas (we do reside in the same state as the Duggars! ). I'd say it's slightly uncommon, but not "crazy". Most people have 2-3 and no one bats an eye. DH and I don't have plans as far as setting a number goes; we'd be happy with 10 if it came down to it! We have no interest in limiting and no real, true reason to do so. But so many reasons to not!

The most common thing we hear from people in public is, "Well you've definitely got your hands full!" And I always smile and say, "We definitely do! And we like having them full!" Or, "Yes, full of good things!" That's usually followed by the stranger commenting with, "Certainly!" Or something to that effect.

Honestly, I don't often wonder about what people are thinking in their minds about us. As far as I know, no one is paying a lot of attention. This is simply our life and it's normal for us to go to the store with 4 kids in tow. DH, the kids, and I do practically everything together.
    Certified Labor Doula and Part-time Photographer
    Delighted Wife and Mama to (10) (8) (5) (3)

My identical twin girls were born at home on 6/13/13!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Almost every one of my friends have 3. Several now have 4. Seems like the norm here. Not many more with 5, though I know a few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In the cities here people mostly hav 2-3, but in the country areas where I live, 4 is quite normal. We won't be out of place at all, but even if we were, it wouldn't bother me. I love having babies and watching them grow. I just think how lucky I am to get to have that experience three times so far (and once more with a little pink luck).

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here in the uk most have 1-2 , some have 3 but pretty much daily strangers stop me in the street and go "oh my you have your hands full with 3 young boys" I love that im different - i feel sorry for those of my friends with just 1 child as the joy of a big family is sooo much better in my opinion. Everyone we know thinks we are mad having 3 but all expect us to go for 4 !! I think it depends where u live and what your circle of friends is like

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I live in Melbourne, Australia and most people i know have 2 or 3 kids, any more then that is pretty uncommon. In my family/friendship groups everyone has 2 kids and seem to think going back for thirds is crazy! I wouldn't be surprised if we get some negative comments when we announce the next pregnancy.

Thank you Atomic and gender dreaming!!!

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in the Northeast, US and where I am it is definitely 2, with 3 as the new norm as pp said. We have 4 now and we definitely get looks and comments.
    Ours are all very close, we had our 4th when our oldest was 4yrs old, almost 5. So I have a 5yr, 3 1/2yr, 21 months, and 4 months. Here is what I get:
    "Are they all yours?" followed by, "bless you" or "You must have your hands full" etc.

I think here it is assumed a religious thing if you have a big family, most people can't think there'd be another reason. Esp. because ours are close in age too.

Our biggest dilemma now is whether to do #5 or not. In talking to DH quite a bit, it's boiled down to $$. Anyone care to comment, do you think financially there really is a difference between 4 and 5 kids?

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think there is a financial jump with each child for sure. Basic necessities, healthcare, school, activities, sports, etc it all adds up. You never know what life will hand you with each child too so there's always a risk but absolutely more money.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good point NBP. I am one of five, but the youngest. Things are different now too. All the kids have their own cell phones, etc. It definitely seems a kid is more expensive than they used to be

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have 4! Had 2 boys tried for a girl and got Identical twin girls. Where I live, most of my friends have 2 (mostly boy/girl), maybe 3 kids, so I'm considered mad for contemplating a 3rd baby when dh is a twin. Although he has a twin sister, my twins are 'random' and not due to genetics!

I only ever wanted 2 with the idea it would most def be a boy and a girl. I never expected 4, but wouldn't swap my crazy busy family and ever let anyone tell me I'm stupid. Have as many as you want and not what u think is expected of you from society/family/friends. It will be tough financially for us, but a bridge we will need to cross when we get there, well, teenagers!!! lol xx GL xx
    Last edited by Inglewood; July 22nd, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
    2002 2006

IDENTICAL TWIN born 3rd April 2012

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast