Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How do you do it!?

I posted this over in the HT Pregnancy section, but I thought I would post it here too... since not everyone visits that forum.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My work schedule has just been changed, and I'm completely at a loss. I was fortunate to be earning a full time salary, working only 24 hours a week. 6 years ago I started this schedule, and I have been with the same company for 10 years. I was given the flexible schedule for going to college/taking care of my children, etc. Well, now things are changing. I will be working 40 hours a week -- no change in pay. Of course they hit me with this 9 weeks into a pregnancy! With my flexible schedule, my oldest was at school during the hours my husband and I were away... leaving only my youngest in daycare -- two days a week. Now, both will be required to go to daycare and for 5 full days. Needless to say, my bill has jumped from $500 to over $1,000 a month. And then, when the next one is born, it will double again... to $2,000.

Not only does that not fit in to the budget, I'm struggling to find time right now... with two boys and a part time schedule. I can't even imagine three boys, and being out of my home for 10 hours a day (I commute an hour each direction). But, we need the second income. We can make it work for now, but once my next is born there is no possible way I can keep the position I'm in. This makes me sad, as I love the company and my job, but its very clear that I won't have that schedule again.

How do you manage it? For moms that need to work, what do you do? I've cut back everything I can, and we're lucky to be making it work for now.

There's a giant time bomb set to go off once this little boy makes his entrance, and it scares me to death! I've looked into jobs I might be able to do from home, but thats such a gamble, and SO many people are looking for the same things. My degree is in early childhood development, and I have strongly considered opening a daycare within my home, but if I'm honest... it scares me! I love children, but that is a 12 hour a day kinda job!

Thanks for letting me vent. And I appreciate any stories/advice! Xx
    Me: 31 DH: 29 and our family: 2005 2011 2013 2016

DOR at 0.15 AMH, AFC 8, FSH 8.1. Three fresh cycles and two donor embryo FET's we finally got our DD four years later. She completes us in a way I had only dreamed of.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would also love to know how moms who have to work do it. I never 'had' to work but chose to do so for a year. Needless to say I was burned out big time trying to maintain home and family life with working. Almost gave myself a nervous breakdown to be honest. I've come to the conclusion that not everyone can pull this off and my hats go off big time to those who can. I honestly wish I knew the formula to making work and being a mommy and wife work for me too.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi hun i had the same issues after ds1 ws born we coped then with ds2 i would have beenw orking for £200 a month full tie once id paid childcare so for the last 7 years ive run a childcare business from home and YES its hardwork, but I get to see my kids grow up every day- i havent missed a second of anything and they LOVE having other children to play with - i still get to do what i need to do i just make it educational - visits to the dentist, helping write shopping lists etc . It really is the hardest job ive ever done but also the most rewqarding and im earning more than i did in my previous job and not paying any childcare.
    Even if you just do it for a short time until 2 of yours are in school and the costs of childcare goes down for just 1 child it might be worth thinking about ?
    Good luck whatever you decide
    Mummy to 3 gorgeous Boys and FINALLY our baby Girl
    Owen 2004
    Ellis 2006
    Liam 2009
    D Amy 2013

M/C Oct 2012 after 4 months trying

BFP again !! - Nov 2012 - Confirmed Twins at 6+5 then my dreams were crushed at 8+ weeks when one of our twins sadly died.

THANK YOU TO GENDER DREAMING FOR HELPING MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to work, there's no way around that...ever. My salary is the primary one so it's not just a matter of cutting back a bit. Once we have another our daycare will go up as well to about $1500 a month. yikes! That worries me to be honest, but we'll manage. I need to be very strict with spending on things that aren't needed. I am lucky in that I go into work early and get off at 3. So my kids have to be in daycare, I get the afternoons with them. As far as the money goes, it's temporary... Daycare is definitely the biggest worry money wise, but it won't be forever. After they get bigger and out of daycare, the other extra expenses for more kids aren't as noticable.

It certainly depends on your job/salary though. If you don't make much more than what you are paying for daycare, it doesn't make sense to work once you add everything up. I'd definitely look into watching a few kids if I were you.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I do home daycare. I guess it is really just babysitting, as I only have one little boy that comes and I am not a licensed facility. Regardless, it is a great way to earn money while being home with your kids, and your kids get playmates! The only drawbacks I have found are 1) keeping up with the extra mess, and keeping the house clean for the daycare kids; 2) taxes. I write off everything I can (some household utility bills, some food, art supplies, etc). But Some years I find that I barely break even! So you need to make sure you charge enough to make it work. I only charge 8/hr and only have one kid coming, so it isn't a big income, but it helps.
    2004 2006 2010 2012

My BOY sway worked!! THANK YOU GENDER DREAMING!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you ladies! I love hearing about successful in home child care. It helps push me toward taking the leap, and going for it. It's just losing the stability of my job, where I've been for nearly 11 years this coming April, that is hard to swallow.

But I love my children more than anything else... and having to miss out on so much of their lives while I'm working breaks my heart.

I appreciate all your feedback!!
    Me: 31 DH: 29 and our family: 2005 2011 2013 2016

DOR at 0.15 AMH, AFC 8, FSH 8.1. Three fresh cycles and two donor embryo FET's we finally got our DD four years later. She completes us in a way I had only dreamed of.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hoping- I work too. I have both boys in full time school but got an aupair. She lives in the house and its $200 a week for like 40-50 hrs. She does food shopping, light house keeping like laundry, vacuuming, and I send her food shopping. Then when I'm not working I'm with my boys not doing housework! Well worth it! Not to mention when she's not working I don't even know she is here. She's 20 and goes out or stays in her room on the computer!
    Cycle#1 Jan/Feb 2013: 10 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 8 fertilized. 1 expanded blast frozen to batch.

Cycle #2 May/June 2013: 17 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized, 3 blasts frozen. Sending all 4 to Natera: 2 normals- 1 girl (cycle 2) & 1 boy (cycle 1)

Cycle #3 September 2013: 11 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 8 fertilized. 4 biopsied. 2 normal boys

FET #1: October 25th: BFN

Cycle#4: Feb/March 2014: 12 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized. 1 normal XX! Transfer March 3rd. BFP: 3/9/14!!!! Beta: 7dp6dt:38, 9dp6dt:139!, 6weeks 1 day: heartbeat!!!

She's here and I'm in love

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hope and Dream, what agency did you use to get the aupair? Also, do they have to have their own bathroom, or just their own bedroom?

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, and as far as keeping a work/life balance...well, our house is messy most of the time. Eventually, the kids will be grown and it will just be me and DH and we'll have the clean home. For now, I want to play with my babies when I can. Don't get me wrong, it isn't nasty or anything...there are just toys around and a bit messy. The dishes are clean, laundry clean, etc.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by My Three Sons View Post
    Hope and Dream, what agency did you use to get the aupair? Also, do they have to have their own bathroom, or just their own bedroom?
    I didnt use an agency. I didn't find any reason to pay their 8k fee. I used aupairworld.net. Or .com I'll check when I get home. I interviewed people on skype and got a 20year old from Mexico but she was born in the US so no visa issues. She shares a bathroom with my boys and she has her own bedroom. I offered her the same perks as an agency Like $500 for the year towards school (she actually asked). I gave her $250 at a time for Each semester. I also reimbursed for airfare. It was like $200. I wouldn't pay back till after 3 months passed. This way it was worth my $ if it didn't work out.
    If you want them to do your errands they obviously need a car or they can use yours if your comfortable with that.
    It's really nice to have coverage when u are not working too, it's great to go out with hubby or run errands alone. I was paying more before for hours that ONLY covered work hours.
    Even if I'm out with the kids at parties and feel exhausted when i get back she will give them a bath, start dinner while we are out whatever. It truly makes life easier. I needed convincing to do this to begin with and I can't believe I waited so long!
    Last edited by HopeandDreamG; December 30th, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Cycle#1 Jan/Feb 2013: 10 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 8 fertilized. 1 expanded blast frozen to batch.

Cycle #2 May/June 2013: 17 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized, 3 blasts frozen. Sending all 4 to Natera: 2 normals- 1 girl (cycle 2) & 1 boy (cycle 1)

Cycle #3 September 2013: 11 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 8 fertilized. 4 biopsied. 2 normal boys

FET #1: October 25th: BFN

Cycle#4: Feb/March 2014: 12 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 10 fertilized. 1 normal XX! Transfer March 3rd. BFP: 3/9/14!!!! Beta: 7dp6dt:38, 9dp6dt:139!, 6weeks 1 day: heartbeat!!!

She's here and I'm in love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast