Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pregnant smokers are people to!

I began smoking at 12, now at 27 I have not gone a day without one until being pregnant, i am generally a heavy smoker to (25-35 cigarettes a day) in the first four months of being pregnant i cut down drastically, from 25-35 down to 2-3 a day. since feeling my first movements and seeing my baby on ultrasound, i have just lost my appetite for them and now am much more aware there is something growing inside of me and i want to give it the best chance i can...i spent a lot of time in forums in the early days of my pregnancy scouting for various opinions regarding smoking when pregnant, fortunately i encountered only the odd nasty self righteous comment and had the pleasure of connecting with a lot of supporting and understanding people. unfortunately in my 'real life' away from the internet, i had the misfortune of encountering brute criticism from a close friend regarding my smoking whilst pregnant...this really saddened me that instead of offering me support and celebrating the effort i had made to drastically cut down, she hectically judged me and criticised me. I have been completely smoke free since my ultrasound last Friday and I feel good, but I just hope that if you should know of anyone smoking when pregnant and you don't agree with it, thats fine, but approach them in a respectful manner and offer support and understanding.
    Well thats my little vent

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good for you ((hugs))

people are just kinda naturally judgmental it seems, what they would do versus what you would do, is just of utmost importance in people's minds. I have learned to never assume, and in just so happens that very little judgment of others follows that mindset.

So happy for you that you quit, we all know thats whats best, but sometimes it is very very difficult to be the best versions of ourselves and you have made a great stride by quitting. YAY!!

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dont know you, but im very proud of you for the choice you have made for youself and your baby. YOu are going to make a wonderful mother
    DD1 DD2 We tried out luck for a but the universe has given us 3 of a kind. Thats a win!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My Mum was the same, took all her will power in the world but she did it for me, she said she did have a few at the beginning, but as you say the more the pregnancy progressed, the more she felt she could do it.
    I'm alright ;D
    Best if luck!!
    She said if she could have done anything differently, it would have been to use it as a complete stop point, sadly she still smokes and had a horrible collapse on Christmas Day! Urm, so try not to pick it up again of you can!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congratulations on your pregnancy AND your quit! I had to do it too last year, i know its tough!

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats on quitting! It's hard to quit. To be honest, I have the opposite problem. I try so much to be supportive even when someone I know is making an unhealthy choice, that I wasn't adamant enough about a friend taking better care of her pregnancy and her baby died in utero at 8 months pregnant. Sometimes I still feel guilty, like I should have pressured her more to eat healthier and stop smoking and cut back on the caffeine and sleep better hours and stuff. Of course, she could have had a perfectly healthy pregnancy with the same outcome, but unfortunately I admit when I heard she lost her baby, I was really devastated but also thought to myself "I had a feeling that was going to happen". A feeling I never shared with her, because I didn't want to seem "self-righteous" or "judgmental" but in reality, I was concerned because I cared about her, and I said nothing. I probably still wouldn't say anything to someone on the internet if I had those thoughts, because then people just think you are being self righteous and/or judgmental, but if it was someone close to me, I think in the future I WOULD say something and WOULD pressure them more, even if they got mad at me, because I would rather have them be mad at me then a worse outcome. Also, another friend of mine smoked while pregnant and her baby got IUGR. Again, something that can happen even if you don't smoke, but I've just had really had experiences in the past with people I know personally who smoke and end up with complications. That said, another friend of mind smoked like a chimney her whole pregnancy and her baby was born perfectly healthy--and I think because that happens pretty often, people are less likely to quit. So again, kudos to you for not using that as an excuse and cutting back until you can quit. You made a great choice for your baby
    age 7, Autism, age 6, age 4, Autism, and another on the way thanks to a successful girl sway!
    click here for my gender prediction quiz

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    While smoking is terrible for you and baby, I do understand how people just can't quit sometimes, my moms is a smoker and has tried to quit soooooo many times. Do I feel upset seeing a pregnant lady smoke, yes, I won't lie about that, but....I do have an understanding as to why they are. You seem like a wonderful mother to quit as much as you have, that's what matters! There are women who wouldn't give two hoots and that's when I have a problem. My mom smoked whilst pregnant with me and my siblings, she did cut back though. Today I am healthy but I did have a lot of sickness growing up and we were premature. I attribute most illness to them smoking indoors so if you make any change please let it be that one...keep the smoke outside! Congrats on cutting back and remember only you knowing what you do for your baby matters most, don't worry about others say so.
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for all of your understanding and time in sharing your support x

Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am so proud of you. You have made a good decision for the betterment of your baby.

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelcrazylove View Post
    I began smoking at 12, now at 27 I have not gone a day without one until being pregnant, i am generally a heavy smoker to (25-35 cigarettes a day) in the first four months of being pregnant i cut down drastically, from 25-35 down to 2-3 a day. since feeling my first movements and seeing my baby on ultrasound, i have just lost my appetite for them and now am much more aware there is something growing inside of me and i want to give it the best chance i can...i spent a lot of time in forums in the early days of my pregnancy scouting for various opinions regarding smoking when pregnant, fortunately i encountered only the odd nasty self righteous comment and had the pleasure of connecting with a lot of supporting and understanding people. unfortunately in my 'real life' away from the internet, i had the misfortune of encountering brute criticism from a close friend regarding my smoking whilst pregnant...this really saddened me that instead of offering me support and celebrating the effort i had made to drastically cut down, she hectically judged me and criticised me. I have been completely smoke free since my ultrasound last Friday and I feel good, but I just hope that if you should know of anyone smoking when pregnant and you don't agree with it, thats fine, but approach them in a respectful manner and offer support and understanding.
    Well thats my little vent
    Keep trying hard! I am impressed with your honesty. Keep trying hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast