Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

So confused! Anyone had to move across the world before?!

Ok. OMG. DH had a call last night from his boss who's currently developing their business in LA. He wants us to relocate there! No idea how long for or who else from the business would go too, so we'd probably know no one. I'm terrified that he'll put pressure on DH and make this non-negotiable. I don't like being pressurised.

On the one hand California isn't exactly a bad place to live! We could be near the beach etc. Weather. Job opportunities. I'm good at making friends. But I love where we live. I love our house. I love that we can walk to school every day and it's a great school where the boys are flourishing. I love that I can walk to dozens of friends' houses for playdates or dinner parties. DH and I enjoy going out in London regularly and my family are all within a 30min drive.

The idea of leaving my home, family and friends, my whole support network, my home town, my country, our National Health Service!, just boggles my mind. I can't see any benefits to us other than some financial, but that'll be dependant on the success of this new business venture!

Plus I'm expecting to be preggers any time soon. Would I have to relocate pregnant? Have no support for the newborn? I don't even know what the birthing options are in LA!!

Help me ladies!
    2009 2011 2013 (failed sway)

HRC Jan 2016 - XX transferred - BFN
    HRC May 2016 - XX FET - BFN
    TTC 2017 - BFP!
    Our beautiful baby girl was born in September 2017!

2. Likes MrsSparkles, atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi,

We've relocated a few times. Japan, Austria, Germany and looks like we are going to be going to Baltimore next year.
    We spent 3 months in LA, for my work last year.
    It's so scary when it's a country where English isn't the main language, but it's also so enriching.

Relocating to the USA when you're pregnant would be super awesome for the baby....American passport .
    If I were your husband, I would insist on really good insurance (Bupa International cover Maternity), and then you have lots more options in terms of where you give birth etc.
    The great thing about California (apart from the weather) is that everyone is so friendly, and genuinely seem helpful.
    Shouldn't think it would be difficult for you to make a ton of new friends, especially since you have children.

Have to admit it takes a certain type of person to up sticks and relocate, my husband and I are used to it and really enjoy the adventure.
    You do miss family and friends, but it's so much better now that there is Skype and FaceTime.
    We feel really lucky to have incredible extended family in other countries now

4. Thanks weeziewoozles thanked for this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow thats HUGE! Not an easy decision. My brother temporarily relocated to Sweden and has now been there 16 years! It'll def be tough leaving friends and family but also an exciting adventure that the kids might love. Especially with the weather and outdoor lifestyle. Do you have to commit to a particular time frame? Could you try it for a few months? My Nct friend recently relocated to the US with her husband whilst pregnant and had no problems at all with the pregnancy monitoring and birth. I think they just had to make sure she was covered by her husband's work health plan before they moved.

6. Thanks weeziewoozles thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a lady here who moved from the UK to NY last year. I can't remember her username off the top of my head.

I think you need to have some very frank discussions with your hubz and his work. The number 1 thing is financial security; will you be expected to sell up OR rent out your house OR will you mothball it whilst the company continue to pay your mortgage etc? In Cali, will you be put up somewhere, have to do a private rental (and if so who pays)? Have they discussed timeframes? Will you be given a moving allowance? Would there be an option for your Dh to go out first for X amount of time (maybe 'commuting' back once every few weeks for a long weekend) before you all commit to going?

Cali is beautiful, you know that. The boys will adjust (kids are surprisingly easy going and just take a situation as it comes, and if you are ~outwardly~ happy, they will be too in time). It will be harder for you & your Dh imo. It IS a big thing, no denying that BUT it could also be an amazing opportunity and life experience (?) the world is 'smaller' than ever before (with air travel and Skype/ FaceTime etc) so you don't have to 'miss' people AND you will suddenly be inundated with people wanting to visit you!

I find that writing things down often helps, so you could start with a list of questions to ask and a 'pros and cons' list.

I wish you the best of luck lovely, and rest assured that WHATEVER you decide to do is the best for your family xxx
    2 beautiful blue eyed boys who both own my (3 if you count DH!)
    2012 2014

How strange it is to miss someone who has never existed... but now you are here, I recognised your beautiful face instantly, my little missing puzzle piece 2017

'No one knows when or how their story ends...' My wonderful mum 2014.

8. Thanks weeziewoozles thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love you ladies!

TTC 2017 - BFP!

10. Likes Kittybear liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your replies had me welling up, making me realise how emotional I am at the moment. Given that we're currently TTC it's not great for my stress levels!!

TTC 2017 - BFP!

12. Likes MrsSparkles liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no advice but just hugest (((hugs))). Moving is rough, we moved 2 hours from our old home in 2014 and I am STILL getting organized - but then again I tend to be a little lazy with that kind of thing.

I love the LA area, my dad lived there when I was in high school and I often went to visit. It's so beautiful and tons of fun stuff to do.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

14. Likes weeziewoozles liked this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you. I'm trying to focus on the positives but I don't see many because I'm driven by my friendships and stability not adventure!

TTC 2017 - BFP!

16. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Weezie you paint such a beautiful picture of your set up at the moment, near to a good school, lots of friends in walking distance etc. I think if you decide to go just make sure you keep hold of your home so that you have that life to go back to, after the time in LA. It might feel like you'd be going for an eternity, but I'm sure the time would fly by, with visits from family & friends and the kids would love it. Oh that's another thing to consider, if say Christmas or summer hols it would be important for you to come back to the UK, maybe have that written into your relocation? Ideally with air fares () or just the understanding that you'll visit the UK for a couple of weeks then and that isn't the only holiday your DH gets to take.

My DH and I have always wanted to relocate somewhere, but never had the opportunity xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Thanks weeziewoozles thanked for this post
    Likes atomic sagebrush, 3'sacharm liked this post
    Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd just look on it as a great adventure and given the age of your boys the good thing is it won't really upset their schooling which it could do if you were going, in say, 5 years. We relocated to NY for two years and the key things are to really ensure that the financial benefits are worth the upheaval and that you have a definite time limit, (two or three years) which obviously could be extended if both sides agree. You need to the company to pay for a relocation adviser to help with schools, houses etc and that there will be at least one fully paid trip for you to go over and check these things out. You might need another trip with your eldest two for school testing as well and so that they can go and spend a day in the new school - so need to ensure these costs are covered to. Also, importantly agree what accomodation they are going to pay for - because you will hopefully end up in a win win situation with your accommodation in LA paid for by the company and the flexibility to rent out your existing home in UK for the time you are there. We certainly found schooling was much more expensive than the private sector in the UK, and also that because school starts a year later, years are slightly different so all that needs to be taken into consideration too, but the relocation person we used was fab. Also, if you have a new baby in US, as well as a passport, they will get the option to go to a US university and not pay the International fees and I seem to recall that their siblings also get this option (sorry can't remember exact details)....and finally, I know you are swaying now, but I guess living in LA, HT might become an option again...? I know easier said than done, but try not to worry as things do always work out. Hugs xx
    Last edited by ever hopeful; September 24th, 2016 at 05:55 AM.

20. Likes atomic sagebrush, weeziewoozles liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast