Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

baby shower advice?

What is the etiquette for having a baby shower? I had 2 baby showers thrown for me with ds1 one by co-workers and the other was a couple's one from DH work. I didn't have friends at either one of those...mainly a work thing. I didn't have showers for DS2 and DS3 (we would host meet the baby type things after they were born though). My sister really wants to host a shower--especially since this is my last pregnancy and it's a girl-- and it will consist of friends and family--not a work type thing. I get excited thinking of a PINK baby shower and all the cute girl stuff I never got to experience. Is this OK? I feel weird about registering for gifts. I kept everything big like crib and playpen and swing. So should I just look at it as a fun party to celebrate this baby and not necessarily register or should I just have a meet the baby party like I have done in the past? Anyone think it's OK to have a shower for your 4th child??
    3 handsome s!
    our sway worked!
    Thought we were done...but expecting a surprise #5 nub looks promising for --shock of our life!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have no idea because we don't really do baby showers in the UK but, oh my goodness, a pink baby shower sounds like something you should really do! If people want to do one for you, then I say why not!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    why not?
    I hosted a baby shower for my friend and she gave us a list of things she needed for the baby...
    Alternatively you could say that presents are not necessary and you more want a lovely party with friends to celebrate the baby - I did that when I had my baby shower as I wasn't comfortable with asking for gifts

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Absolutely! Every baby should be celebrated!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All of your friends and family WANT to buy little girl things for you because they are so cute! Trust me everyone gets excited about a new baby. Your sister sounds like she has it under control, she knows you have cots and other things which you can use so she will probably be telling your frinds to get clothes and toys, etc. Don't feel weird about it, definatly register.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll be getting one too! I had one shower with DS1 and was offered one by friends for the next two but declined. This time my close friend(the one who knows I'm having a girl)really wants to hold a shower for me I'm not registering anywhere...it's going to be a "girl clothes" shower!! Pink, pink, pink I have everything else I need for baby I say go for it, Glitter!!!
    Crunchy Mama to 3 rambunctious boys~ '06 :bike: '08 '10

Our beautiful is here!!

Felina Lilyanne was born at home ~ 4/12!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like all your ideas! I think I wont register or ask for anything, instead just celebrating the baby and friends and family can bring cute little girl outfits or blankets that we can all say "awwww how adorable"! My sister has been wanting to host one since she found out I was preg and kept saying she would have one even if it was another boy.
    3 handsome s!
    our sway worked!
    Thought we were done...but expecting a surprise #5 nub looks promising for --shock of our life!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah go for it, celebrate pink !!!
    I also wouldn't register for gifts I don't it's really needed for a baby can never have 2 much baby stuff and even if you get double of something you can still use it.
    Let the host know if you already have too much of something and don't need anymore and then that way the host can tell all the guests not to get any of that.
    Have fun xx

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Glittergirl View Post
    I like all your ideas! I think I wont register or ask for anything, instead just celebrating the baby and friends and family can bring cute little girl outfits or blankets that we can all say "awwww how adorable"! My sister has been wanting to host one since she found out I was preg and kept saying she would have one even if it was another boy.
    Oh that sounds perfect! FWIW I refused a shower this time (2 of my friends wanted to do one) and ... they're doing one anyway, LOL. I am not registering, and I forbade them from doing anything remotely fancy (including sending formal invites) so we're just going to tea with a small group. ITA with NBP that every baby should be celebrated.

And here's another thought ... we did a "display" shower for my friend having her 2nd boy; it's meant to bring unwrapped gifts and then rather than have everyone sit around watching you open presents (this always made me uncomfortable, both at my wedding/baby showers, but I don't like being center of attention in general) the hostesses "display" the gifts around the house. We hung a clothesline across a big picture window and clipped up various onesies, etc. People brought darling gift baskets stuffed with blankets and diapers ... stuff like that. It was fun to walk around and see/feel the cute stuff instead of just seeing the mom-to-be hold it up. Plus no big pile of wrapping paper to clean up!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And here's another thought ... we did a "display" shower for my friend having her 2nd boy; it's meant to bring unwrapped gifts and then rather than have everyone sit around watching you open presents (this always made me uncomfortable, both at my wedding/baby showers, but I don't like being center of attention in general) the hostesses "display" the gifts around the house. We hung a clothesline across a big picture window and clipped up various onesies, etc. People brought darling gift baskets stuffed with blankets and diapers ... stuff like that. It was fun to walk around and see/feel the cute stuff instead of just seeing the mom-to-be hold it up. Plus no big pile of wrapping paper to clean up!
    ooh I like that idea, I also hate being center of attention.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast