Downloads
    Uploads
    Mummy to 3 gorgeous Boys and FINALLY our baby Girl
    Owen 2004
    Ellis 2006
    Liam 2009
    D Amy 2013

M/C Oct 2012 after 4 months trying

BFP again !! - Nov 2012 - Confirmed Twins at 6+5 then my dreams were crushed at 8+ weeks when one of our twins sadly died.

THANK YOU TO GENDER DREAMING FOR HELPING MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum23boys View Post
    around the world - did you do all the work yourself turning it into pills?
    No, I didn't. After just having a baby, I didn't need to be on my feet within the first 24-48 hours (when the placenta needs to be dehydrated). I had a close friend who encapsulated the placentas from my last two births for me. After the birth of my 5th child, my husband plans to do the work for me. He's not super crazy about doing it himself, but he's willing because he knows how important those pills are to me (and, frankly, to my family as a whole).
    Certified Labor Doula and Part-time Photographer
    Delighted Wife and Mama to (10) (8) (5) (3)

My identical twin girls were born at home on 6/13/13!

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I second this. I was open to it and my wonderful husband did it for me and it did help with my energy and emotions after. I too did a great deal of research. What I find funny is gelatin doesn't receive the sort of disgusted reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by aroundtheworld View Post
    Wow, I'm really surprised at how many women on here are seemingly so vehemently against this. It's not just a "no, thanks" I'm seeing, but a "Are you crazy?" and "EWW". Open your minds up a little bit and consider that it truly does have real and true benefits for mother and baby. If it's not for you just based on the thought of it, that's fine. But for many women, it can be and is a lifesaver. (And I will not even entertain the suggestion of it merely having a "placebo effect".)

Am I, personally, one for sitting down and eating my placenta raw (or even cooked)? No, I'm not. It's not exactly appetizing. But am I open to other ways of consuming it in the instance that it has countless benefits for the baby and myself post birth? You bet I am.

I suffered some terrible, indescribable PPD after my first two births. If any of you have been through an experience like I have- some real, true PPD- then you know what I mean when I say I'd do just about anything to keep from going through it again. So when I was informed about placenta encapsulation during my third pregnancy, I looked into it. And ended up doing a LOT of research on it. In the end I decided that if it'd even possibly help keep me from having to once again experience the dark, hopeless place that PPD is, I was willing to give it a go. And so I did. And you know what? It REALLY helped me. Significantly. It didn't keep me from being a bit weepy, sometimes a little panicky, or overwhelmed here and there, but there was a very large and genuine difference after I birthed my third baby and I attribute it to diligently taking those pills (which, btw, was no different than popping a vitamin- you cannot smell it or taste it at all). And it was so, so worth it. I chose to do it again after my fourth birth (I had the same, successful results) and I am planning it again after my fifth child is born. I now look at the placenta in a totally different light; not only as a life-giving source for my child, but also for me.

Placenta benefits range from assisting in warding off PPD, to restoring energy after birth, lactation promotion, helping to protect against infections, and much more. To learn more about it, do some research. It's real and I will wholeheartedly vouch for it. Here's a link to a good article about it.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going the encapsulation route and paying someone to do it for me. I really want to avoid PPD with 6 children and returning to work full-time, and I'm willing to try anything that may work!

But OMG the title of this thread sounds disgusting lol
    Our 6-pack of girlies

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ive actually looked into it and there are people near me who do it for about £150. If i can afford it i may do the capsules - definately not smoothie but if its going to help and i can save the money i think it would be a good thing - especially if im going to have 4-5 kids to deal with and work to return to after just 3- weeks !!!
    Mummy to 3 gorgeous Boys and FINALLY our baby Girl
    Owen 2004
    Ellis 2006
    Liam 2009
    D Amy 2013

M/C Oct 2012 after 4 months trying

BFP again !! - Nov 2012 - Confirmed Twins at 6+5 then my dreams were crushed at 8+ weeks when one of our twins sadly died.

THANK YOU TO GENDER DREAMING FOR HELPING MAKE OUR DREAMS COME TRUE

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The midwife offered me my placenta after I had DS2, this was just a standard hospital delivery in Ireland. I didn't take it.

I remember when my cat had kittens (they say cats like to go off on their on to give birth but mine decided she wanted to give birth on my lap), she gobbled up the placentas straight away after the first three kittens. By the last two kittens she was completely exhausted and was ignoring everything, I had to break the sacs to let the kittens out and I passed the placentas over to her and she ate them.

I wouldn't be against it but I don't think I could justify forking out more than 100 quid to get it encapsulated. If I wanted to eat it I'd probably just eat it, it's not that disgusting, I don't mind raw meat, I like my steak as rare and bloody as possible! I'm not going to eat it though!
    DS1 - 5.5
    DS2 - 3

It's a girl!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456