Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How bad was the winter/flu season in the rest of the world? Did you get a flu shot?

Hi Ladies, I am in Australia and we are soon about to go into the winter season. This year everyone is on about how bad the flu season is going to be and telling us that overseas it was one of worse years and people died and got very sick from it. It is starting to scare me a bit as I am usually one to catch these type of things. Most are telling prenant women to get the flu shot but others are saying there is still a risk to your unborn baby. For those who have just gone through the winter what are your thoughts, was it really that bad? Did you get a flu shot? For those in Australia or the like what are your thoughts on the flu shot?

New baby due 6 August 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The flu that America has now is actually our last years flu for whatever reason it's how it works. The strains going around in the US now won't get back here cause we have had them. I agree though last years flu season was one of the worst I had seen.

I am pregnant and will not get the flu shot but if I was worried I would give the rest of the family the shot as prophylaxis. My son had immune issues and this is what was always recommended.

That being said my baby is due May and yours is real flu season.
    13 years 11 years 6 years & our HT miracle 2 years

6 IVF Cycles(3 SART & 3 Genea), 4 FET cycles, 4 transfers, 3 Chemicals.

Sep 11 2012: Genea, FET, 1 day 5, CGH HB transferred.
    4dp5dt POAS BFP, 9dp5dt 67, 11 dp5dt 183, 17dp5dt 3832
    Full Cycle Details here Cycle Summary

Finally our beautiful baby girl was born 20th May, 2013

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks glory, I am really interested to know people's views. I am really confused as to what to do. I agree if I was further along I wouldn't get it. I didn't get it in my last pregnancy but I can't remember why. What i do remember is my husband catching the flu and then passing it on to me when I was 20 weeks pregnant. It was at the time of the swine flu and it was really scarey.

New baby due 6 August 2013

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a flu shot In my last pg, didnt have any problems. My ob is
    very insistent I should get one now, but when I asked her if it's completely
    harmless to the baby, she hesitated but said yes. I haven't heard about how it
    could harm the bub, but with two school kids at home I am terrified of the winter bugs. I'm due 2 September.
    Last edited by queen-bee; March 22nd, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
    and finally my ht !!!

Feb 2012 HRC, cycle cancelled because of a cyst couldn't start stims
    Aug 2012 HRC, 24 retrieved, 18 fertilised, 13 to GSN. Only 1 normal XY
    OMG - 1 XX self corrected!
    13December - FET transferred my DD

Thank you Dr Potter for making my dream come true!

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am in the northeast U.S. and the flu here was really bad. My FIL got sick (non flu) and had to go to the hospital. They wanted to admit him but there were no beds available there, or the next 2 cities over, all because of the flu. He ended up half way across the state! I have had the flu shots with both my boys with no problems- they give a different one here for pregnant women that is thimerasol free.
    Mom to 2009 and 2011. My joined us in October! Thanks GenderDreaming!
    My sway here- http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-...girl-sway.html

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am very interested to know of the possible problems associated with flu vaccine in pregnancy. They certainly dont mention anything in their information booklets.
    and finally my ht !!!

Feb 2012 HRC, cycle cancelled because of a cyst couldn't start stims
    Aug 2012 HRC, 24 retrieved, 18 fertilised, 13 to GSN. Only 1 normal XY
    OMG - 1 XX self corrected!
    13December - FET transferred my DD

Thank you Dr Potter for making my dream come true!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My Ob offered it to me at my last appt but Im not going to get it as Im having bubs early May and dont see the point. I remember when the swine flu was around - I was pregnant with DS2 and was terrified but I still didnt get the shot. It just didnt sit well with me but it was just a feeling I had, no real medical reason behind my decision.. I did have the flu shot once after DS1 was born and I know it is total coincidence but it was the worst year Id had with the flu so it has turned me off it altogether I think. Having said that, if you are one to suffer badly when not pregnant or have other health issues that could jeopordise your health or babies then Id say get it.
    2006 (5) (3) & cautiously expecting a beautiful baby in May

Baby Annabelle Clare arrived safely into the world 10th May 2013 - Let the fun begin!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in Ontario, Canada and don't think the flu was any worse here then other years. It was one of our warmest winters where I am. Though now its lingering longer then last years lol I didn't/wouldn't get the flu shot in either pregnancy and went all through winter both times! But I'm not really sure what winters like in Australia compared to here.
    June 21 2011 - Ryder
    May 22 2013 - Hudson

Our family is now complete - no more babies for us. We didn't get our girl but I wouldn't trade my boys for the world, so in love.

Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I live in the US and had the flu while pregnant. It wasn't pleasant, but definately not unbearable. I would never get the influenza shot while pregnant. Especially if your healthy. Here are a couple of articles you may want to take a look at.

Mary Tocco -- Seasonal Flu Vaccines, Are They Safe or Necessary?

H1N1 Flue Shot Pregnancy, Side Effects & Dangers | ChildhoodShots.com

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never had the flu nor anyone in my family knock knock but had mastisis and think they feel the same lol. Would not risk getting the shot especially while prego. I didn't notice anyone around me getting the flu but then if you stay away from the awful news then things don't sound so dreadful. Instead do things to up your immune system and focus on things you can do like washing your hands and aviding kid play places of you can lol.
    Its A Girl!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast