Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry "You're gonna have your hands full!"

I have gotten that old chestnut so many times from strangers I've lost count, pretty much from the moment I knew that Baby #2 was another boy. What do they even mean by this???!

Just today, my new hairdresser was asking me about my kids. She asked, "Boy and girl?" and I said, "No, two boys." Then I braced myself for the comments. Sure enough, she was like, "Oooh. You're gonna have your hands full!"

I told her, "well, I only have nieces, so I was happy to have the first boy." And she was like, "Yeah, happy until you found out you were having another one! Boys are so......... aggressive!"

I know she wasn't trying to be insensitive, but it kind of stirred up the GD again.

I rarely, if ever, get positive comments about having 2 boys. I would love to hear "aw how cute!" maybe just once.

People act so offended by gender desire and disappointment, like it's the worst thing in the world. Yet it's obviously deeply ingrained in our culture. When a mom doesn't have a daughter, she is actually pitied. I know my GD wouldn't be half as bad if my own dad didn't openly state he was glad he had daughters and hoped my second baby was a girl.

What is the equivalent to a mom who has two little girls? Surely there must be something. Are boy moms really that singled out?
    Last edited by lemonade; June 10th, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
    (2010-2011) ... (2012) ... (2014) ... (2015)

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    opposite for Asians the more boys the luckier you are for some reason! if you have girls you get pitted and if you don't get on with a person they say she deserves it shes got girls. like its not girls but aids.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have two boys and haven't ever heard that. Most people say "two boys? You're lucky...boys LOVE their mamas". Which is true ��. Still since people know I'm pregnant again, I'm getting a lot of "hope it's a girl" type comments and though I obviously agree, I feel protective of possible boy #3.
    praying and swaying

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With six boys I have heard it all and people can be so rude and insensitive. As much as I'd like a daughter it makes me so mad that boys are thought to be "consolation prizes" as I adore my boys and would like a daughter as well, not instead!

The other day at preschool one mother was so disgustingly rude to me about having six boys that I was gob smacked and didn't even know what to say and went home so upset.

The girl mums ignore me completely and look at me in disgust, the PP mums will talk to me but are always full of comments! Drives me nuts!
    Mum of 9 boys & my stillborn angel daughter, Shaylah Anne 20/02/2015

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh I'm sorry. Some people don't think before they speak. I get the hands full one all the time! Also have the same issues with the Grandparent. My Mum was so bad when I was pregnant with DS3. She refused to believe it was a boy. She keep implying that it was because I didn't want a girl that I was getting another boy. And she knitted him a whole lot of pink stuff and got it out to show me every time she saw me! It was torture! My MIL just keeps saying "just have a girl next and then no more" after each pregnancy. They are Asian too so definitely wanted a boy first but now that there have been 14 consecutive boys born in their family they are really beginning to value girls. It is the girls that hold up most of the family traditions after all!

But by far the worst thing that that has ever happened was when I just found out that the 3rd was another boy and was suffering pretty bad GD. I went out for lunch with some girls I went to school with but had not seen very much since and I had been looking forward to it so much. 2 of them had just turned 30 and with no man in sight they were discussing freezing their eggs. Anyway discussion turned to my belly. When I said it was our third boy the discussion turned so nasty. Everyone chimed in about how awful having 3 boys would be and how they would not want that. One of the other Mums chimed in that she only wanted a girl and would call her Lilly (side note she just had a little girl - first child, and named her Lilly. Makes you sick doesn't it). Anyway I just excused myself and left in tears. GD sux enough without having to deal with all of that too!
    Very blessed with

Due 24th March 2016

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This makes me so sick! I'm not even pregnant yet, but my mom knows that we want another baby soon-ish so she's always saying "Let's just hope the next one is a girl" or "I would hate to have 2 boys, brothers don't have a special bond like sisters do". UGH UGH UGH. My Mom had 3 daughters so she just doesn't get it.

Personally my DH wants another boy and I *almost* would prefer one too. It's my stupid family pressuring me to have a girl and telling me how sad my life will be without one that's making me feel so compelled to sway. How do people not understand how hurtful it is to say things to a mother who has NO CONTROL over her children's genders and just wants to be happy and love the family that God/fate/destiny has given her.
    DS1 (2012)
    Due 7/13/2015 ! Swayed pink and I am blessed to be with and (TWINS!)!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's such hypocrisy. I don't even have kids yet but I get so mad hearing about what people say to boy moms. I definitely feel there is a bias against male children in English-speaking cultures and it disgusts me. And of course the fact that mothers can't control the gender of their offspring makes all the unpleasant social attitudes even more unfair.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say, from a totally opposite perspective, that I've gotten a number of comments about how my DH must have been disappointed to find out that this one was also a girl. For me, because I *wanted* another girl, it doesn't sting, but I do often notice that people seem completely oblivious to how insensitive they're being, or how people seem to assume that *everyone* would want one of each.

My DH comes from a family with three kids, and has two brothers, and he has always LOVED coming from an all-boy family, and has long wished for an all-girl family for us. I think single-gender families are great, and there are a lot of advantages--it's cheaper and easier to hand down toys and clothes, it's nice for siblings to share activities, etc. Of course, PPs can be lovely too, and I imagine it's nice for parents to get to experience having one (or some) of each, but...

I do think there's an anti-boy bias in our culture (I'm in the US), but I think there's also an anti-single-gender-family bias. And for some reason, people feel free to make comments about the gender composition of other people's families that they would NEVER utter about other aspects of their lives.
    our perfect family:

(8) (5) (almost one)

thank you to atomic for helping make my dreams come true

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Guess what? It happened again yesterday.

I was grocery shopping with my littlest one and a woman came up to him and starting cooing over him, and asked if he was my first, and I said "No, second." And then she asked if my oldest was a boy or girl (why does this matter SO MUCH to strangers?) I told her "boy". Then she turned to my baby son and cooed, "I bet Mommy wanted a girl but then she got you instead!" in this obnoxious baby voice.

WTF.
    Last edited by lemonade; June 12th, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
    (2010-2011) ... (2012) ... (2014) ... (2015)

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonade View Post
    Thanks for your replies everyone. Guess what? It happened again yesterday.

I was grocery shopping with my littlest one and a woman came up to him and starting cooing over him, and asked if he was my first, and I said "No, second." And then she asked if my oldest was a boy or girl (why does this matter SO MUCH to strangers?) I told her "boy". Then she turned to my baby son and cooed, "I bet Mommy wanted a girl but then she got you instead!" in this obnoxious baby voice.

WTF.
    That's so insane. I would have had to be overly obnoxious back "we hoped and prayed for a second precious baby boy and are so completely pleased with him!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    DS1 (2012)
    Due 7/13/2015 ! Swayed pink and I am blessed to be with and (TWINS!)!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast