Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Moms of girl(s) need your positive story!

I've been struggling with extreme gender disappointment for the past two weeks since finding out my first (and ONLY) will be a girl. I have ALWAYS wanted a boy ever since I was young and DH and I agreed we will only have one kid.

Can any posters who have a daughter (or multiple) please share what they love about having a girl? If you have both, which do you find easier to raise?
    Also I'm interested in hearing from posters who wanted a boy, had a girl, and their honest feelings once baby arrived.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't want this to turn into a what's awesome about girls/boys post. I think both genders are great and at the end of the day, it is a child, a piece of you, that you bring into this world and help become something.

There are tons of things great about girls. There are tons of things great about boys.

I wanted a boy with my first child. I thought that having a boy was "better" for my first child because you could carry on the family name, etc. Now, fast forward 13 years and my daughter is just the best thing that happened. I cannot imagine days without her and I realize this is how it was meant to be for me. I wasn't given what I wanted, I was given what I needed.

Kids are hard to raise, period. Boy or girl, it is hard as hell and a huge responsibility. Having a vagina or a penis doesn't make it harder or easier for the mom. When they are happy, you are happy. When they are sad, you are sad. Whey they cry, you will cry with them. That's what a mom does and you will fall into the role with grace I am sure. Things change when you give birth and you see that helpless little face.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

3. Thanks pink_bean thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not to start another debate altogether...but I would seriously reconsider having only one child, I don't think it's good for the child. Just my opinion though I have no kids yet.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm curious as to why you feel it's not good for the child to be an only child.
    DH (43), DW (40)

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Awwww I have only ever wanted girls and am now pregnant with my 2nd girl that I made sure was girl through having IVF with gender selection.

I've never wanted a boy, so can relate to your gender preference but not to wanting a boy.

My daughter is so amazing I can't even begin to list it all her. I am a very girly mumma and we go horse riding together, we sing, we dance, we shop, we spend hours and hours chatting and doing arts and crafts. Girls I find are much easier going. More relaxed quicker to advance both socially and educationally. (This isn't my opinion it's proven through many social studies) They will sit quietly for hours and entertain themselves whereas I've always found boys to be unruly, unsociable and loud!

Either way you will love your girl & the bond when you grow older and you have a best friend, confident & grandchildren from her will be amazing. Boys always leave and get married girlies will always come back to their mummas.

I'm biased though because I love girls and my experience with little boys and boys in general is not positive my brother is a sod too!!

There are many girl mummas on here who will reassure you she will be the light in your life!

Also my daughter is nearly 6 and is very happy being an only child (she doesn't know I'm pregnant yet) she does ask for a bro or sis occasionally but on the whole is perfect as a singleton so don't get caught up in having another just for her if you feel that's not right for your family.

Wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Thanks Throwaway_panther thanked for this post
    Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Moms of girl(s) need your positive story!

Wow, what an ignorant response bambi_twins!!

You obviously have not spent enough time with boys to be able to state nonesense about boys being unruly, unsociable and loud! My sons are the exact opposite of what you have described.

Also, as a primary teacher, I know that saying boys are not as socially and educationally advanced is an extremely narrow minded and cruel idea. I have never seen any difference educationally between genders and you have been very misguided to believe there is.

The statement that boys leave there mothers is just pathetic. It is all about the relationship you have with your child that creates the lasting relationship into adulthood. My husband and brother speak to their mothers daily and visit them all the time.

I do not think that this was intended to be a thread to bad mouth boys! So please stop doing so!

Not impressed!!

Last edited by jennypenny; January 23rd, 2016 at 06:34 AM.
    (2010)

(2013)

(2017)

Surprise due (2020)

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was reassuring the original poster about her disappointment in having a girl and telling her the wonderful experience with my daughter & my first hand experience with boys.

If your a teacher you will be well aware in the difference of male vs female especially in young years learning and should adapt your teaching accordingly there have been extensive studies that prove the differences between the genders and why girls outperform boys initially both socially and educationally it is to do with a difference in their brains.

Here is a very interesting article on the difference in teaching girls & boys: Educational Leadership:Closing Achievement Gaps:With Boys and Girls in Mind

I didn't just make that up if you do a simple google search it throws up years of articles & research by scholars. This is why also girls and boys in single sex schools tend to achieve better than in mixed sex schools because the way of teaching should be adapted for the differences in their brains.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't have to be mean to be honest. Girls can be total assholes, loud and obnoxious. Girls can be very mean.

My son is very bright, quiet, sweet. Kids are not one size fits all. You can temper your response and not turn this into a boy versus girl. Both genders are great and wanted. I don't care what studies say- all HUMANS are unique.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

11. Thanks XXforhubby, oceancitymom, atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dislikes californiadreaming disliked this post
    Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think I was being mean. Merely stating my experience and why I have a preference of girls vs boys.

Yes all humans are unique obviously that's why we all have a unique DNA pattern to us.

But to say there is no difference in boys vs girls educationally is simply wrong. Coming from a teacher is quite worrying!

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh dear I hope for your sake u never have a grandson!! Poor soul!!

Boys are not some sort of mutant species of human that should be bred out.

The information you are quoting is extremely outdated and incorrect.

(2010)

(2013)

(2017)

Surprise due (2020)

14. Thanks Dreamofpink thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast