Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should I find out gender at the ultrasound?

I'm having a terrible time with deciding if I should find out or not. It's like I only want to find out if I'll hear what I want to hear. But I also don't want to go into delivery not knowing and have a girl. So I feel like either way I should probably find out, I just don't want to deal with disappointment anytime soon. But unless there's problems with my pregnancy I won't be having another ultrasound after this one.
    Mar 2003
    Dec 2004
    Aug 2006
    Jan 2009
    due Jul 2011
    http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9531378

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tough call. Part of me would want to enjoy the rest of the pregnancy no matter what. It really didn't help me to find out. Just made the sadness/mourning start sooner rather than later. Good luck with what you decide.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It helps me to find out. It doesn't make the pregnancy better when the gender isn't what I wanted, but it does mean that I don't get my hopes up for another 5 months and then get a big dose of reality in the delivery room. I'm a c-section mom, too, so I can't count on endorphins or instant cuddling to make me feel better.
    06/06
    04/10

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm debating on this very thing. With DD3 I was told 99% boy early on. Then a few weeks later I found out she was all girl. If I had been told girl upfront it would've been hard, but I could've dealt with it. Being the way it was, it ruined my pregnancy with her and made it harder for me to bond with her until delivery. Therefore, I'm slightly leaning towards letting DH find out and I'll remain in the dark the entire pregnancy. I know once we're in the OR at the c-section it won't make a difference to me, but a boy would be the best surprise ever.

chachamama
    I think you should find out... You already think it's a girl from the nub shots, I think you'd drive yourself crazy waiting (at least, I would).
    If we have a third, I'm not finding out - no nub guesses either! But if I had nub guesses, I'd have to find out

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wanted to know so that I could have time to get used to the idea before baby came. Gave me time to find a name I love, and to start planning for him. Also didn't want 9 months of people "wishing a girl" for me and then telling everyone it's the 3rd boy.... I don't know, I think there are advantages and disadvantages to knowing ahead of time... gl!
    2006, 2008, 2011, HT 2012

Cycle #1 @ HRC, March 2012: Pretesting FSH 5.7, AMH 2, AFC 19. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized & to GSN, 2 normal XY, 1 normal XX. Transferred 1XX. 1st beta 9 5dp5dt, 2nd beta 777 12dp5dt, 3rd beta 2823 15dp5dt. 124 at 6w6d (2 large SCHs seen). DD born 3 days overdue - December 2012.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly, I would opt to find out. I just wouldn't want to have false hope. I really hope you get your boy GL!

MS/PGD/IVF OHW

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would find out. When I found out with ds2 it did ruin the rest of my pregnancy, but when I gave brth to him I had been mourning for twenty weeks and I was done with it! I could enjoy him instantly, didnt have to worry about gender.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't find out. I thought it would build up GD. With my 3rd, by the time I was ready to deliver, I was so over being pregnant, I didn't care about gender.
    3 's & baby on the 3rd try of MS/IVF/PGD at GIVF

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm this is a hard one. With my last one, i never swayed but i did want a little girl, I wasnt sure at the time if i wanted to know so I asked the person who done the scan to write down "its a boy" Or "its a girl" and put it inside a sealed envelope. There were many times I wanted to open it and have a peek, then about 28 weeks it got the better of me so when no one was home, i opened it and read i was having another little boys. i sealed it in another envelope so DH didnt know, I managed to deal with it in my own way and was reminded by my other son that if the baby was gonna come out looking half as cute as what he was then i knew id be fine. Delievery day came and went and part of me wishes i didnt peek because as soon as i picked im up and looked into those eyes, i was so in vlove, more than what i thought i could ever be. I still long for a little girl but am so in love with my boys....... Follow your heart and do what you think is right and what will help you. xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast