Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

birthday parties

when pregnant with ds2 I was over the moon, so thankful, but then comments started... so by 3rd trimester I wanted him to be a her... that's when it all began, we struggled to find him a name and he's nearly 3 now and such a character, love him to bits, baby him so much, his brother and him are best buddies and we are so thankful to have such great little boys... but for some reason we just haven't thrown a birthday party for ds2, he's 3 soon and the thought of inviting people over to celebrate fills me and dh with dread, even having a party elsewhere... First couple of years, it was hard juggling toddler and baby, had little family party with cake, balloons, presents etc.. but still... no excuse... is this GD or is this normal were first borns are naturally more pampered??

oh dh has just reminded us that many of our friends who we used to make an effort for have moved out of town so maybe that's it??
    Last edited by Doublechoc; November 5th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I went large for my first kid and the others did not get the same, equal treatment with parties. I don't think it was GD related fir me, I just have gotten wiser with age and gotten smarter with how we celebrate! I just had a party for DD3 but it was her 4th birthday and her first party beyond just a cake with family. She could care less and she won't remember anyway. I did put all the pictures into one of those Shutterfly books to make sure she doesn't forget though!

I also don't do parties for DD1 or 2 every year. Just depends on what's going on and what we feel like doing. Not GD related for me though.

Parties are a huge expense and a lot of work!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've done big parties for my biggest 2 boys (though not both of them every year!) and I don't enjoy them - they cost a fortune, they're very stressful and I spend so much time rushing around on the day that I don't get to even see my boys! This year DS1 had just 4 friends over from school for tea and a play and it was his best party ever! We took DS3 to a farm with my parents and my sister and niece and nephew on his birthday and he also loved that. I will avoid big parties with DS3 for as long as I can - like NBP said, I've just got wiser about what we'll enjoy the most!
    2005 2007 2009 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We never do big parties my poor kids hey!!
    Fathers Day baby!

Busy Mummy of 5 now working from home: www.oz.scentsy.com.au

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post

Parties are a huge expense and a lot of work!
    Definitely! It's too much.
    So what I do is I tell my boys they're only allowed to invite as many people as the number of their age. For instance, ds1 turned 7 this year so he invited 7 of his friends. ds2 turned 4, but we didn't really have a big party for him this year - instead we had a small party with a couple of cousins.
    '04 '07 '10

After ages of praying for a sister for DD, I am proud to announce the birth of my twin baby GIRLS born Oct 31st.

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks ladies, i was hoping it wasn't a gender thing, but my mind does wander that if ds2 was a dd, would i have been more enthusiastic? anyway, party is organised, am looking into hiring a magician/entertainer and where we are its about £150 per hour!! yikkeesss.. so with you all on the expense bit!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We used somebody like that for DS2's 3rd birthday and it was good because we didn't have to entertain the children ourselves, he even got them sat at the table to eat - but yes, it costs!
    2005 2007 2009 2012