Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    I would not be so concerned about the pH thing. More importantly, worry about the sodium/potassium intake compared to calcium/magnesium intake. There is very little science regarding anything to do with pH and a few great studies with actual stats- the Dutch Study and the FG study that looks specifically at diet and those ratios. Each study had near 80% success with diet alone. White bread is okay for the boy diet- wholegrain is better, but okay I think.

I would look at what you are eating- how and 2.5 solid months of the diet is what I would do before TTC. Just my
    Yes, white bread is fine for the blue diet as long as you eat/ate some protein along with it because that keeps your blood glucose levels up for longer. And even if you didn't as long as you ate frequent meals.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SpicyTunaSushi View Post
    Thanks! My ph unfortunately hovers at 5-6, but I am going to just continue doing what I am doing, and go for it! I would rather have another baby than wait for the perfect ph.

We are doing well on the sodium/potassium to calcium/magnesium ratios- I just find the magnesium difficult- most healthful foods have magnesium- including wholemeal, which is why I chose to eat white bread- with no milk in it. Basically our diet consists of meat (bacon, beef, pork, eggwhites), potatoes, tomatoes, dates, sweet potatoes, fruit like bananas, pears, and apples, pineapple juice, etc, and to be honest, I feel great on this diet. Less sugar has definitely been great for me. I am on the thin side, but I do try to eat a lot!

So, since I new to this site- there is no 'goal' ph like IG? As long as I am eating a good ratio of K/Na to Mg/Ca?
    The goal is, high protein, high nutrient, high calorie, high fat, high sodium, with a little weight gain and even blood sugar levels. If you do those things, you're swaying blue, regardless of pH or mineral ratios.

This isn't like the IG site in that we don't have one "OFFICIAL" diet and everyone has to follow it or they get yelled at. We are here to provide info and then you can decide what plan is best for you.

nuthinbutpink is more of a believer in the French Diet than I am (I believe the French diet sways but I am not convinced that minerals have anything at all to do with it) but that's fine, you can do both. I wouldn't sweat the magnesium levels for the exact reason you say - most healthy foods have magnesium in them and it is highly unlikely to me that given that fact, that super low magnesium levels are required to conceive a baby boy.

I htink pH ~might~ sway a little because low pH lowers sperm count. I do not think that X sperm "like" one kind of pH or Y sperm "like" another kind of pH. BOTH X and Y sperm thrive in pH in the 7's.

Your pH will go up around ovulation, so just because it seems low-ish now (BTW 5-6 is not low at all for vaginal pH), I wouldn't worry about it. Keep checking and you may be pleasantly surprised around ovulation.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaInLove View Post
    From what I remember, the bs is a temporary change, but a lot of women did the finger for a week before their attempt. I only did it an hour before, because like ZB, it irritated me and made so much wateryness that I didn't want to mask my own ewcm leading up to O. I don't know about the preseed issue, Chunksta, but I guess it is the same thing.

Personally, I just tried to really up my salt and potassium intake, and I did eat a ton of meat, which lowers ph, but mine stayed in the 6 range. I was more interested in changing the minerals in my body and my testosterone. And then I used bsf and preseed right before my attempt, so there was that temporary ph change down there, just long enough to last while the fire was in the hole, so to speak.
    All the "fingers" of this or that are temporary and regardless of what anyone says, they do NOT affect the pH up inside your Fallopian tube where the egg will be fertilized. At ovulation, every millimeter of your tissues inside your body is busily churning out mucus with pH in the 7's, to help sperm survive. What you put in your vagina doesn't change this because your body is making it from the inside out, any more than putting a fingerful of baking soda on your tongue will appreciably change the pH of your stomach acid. Yes, if you tested the pH of your mouth right afterwards, it would look higher, but your body will just make more stomach acid to compensate.
    Last edited by atomic sagebrush; April 8th, 2011 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, do you think it is worthless to do the bsf?
    (2002) (2005) from 1st marriage. TTC since Aug 2010- Dx: low sperm count and 1% normal sperm. We are giving up and moving on with a baby-free life.
    UPDATE: surprise bfp in Feb 2013! It's a BOY!

NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As I understand it, bsf is done to give the y-swimmers better starting position and lower the number of x-swimmers ( that is if y -swimmers prefer high pH in the first place)
    m/c 2001
    2012 failed sway
    2014 my surprise baby

Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On the magnesium levels, I've been dubious about the IG values for a long time. In the Dutch study they aimed for much higher for girls than 250-300, and it actually becomes hard to eat properly when you aim as low as 200. There's magnesium everywhere, as you say, and especially bananas contain quite a lot. I wouldn't worry .
    2005, swayed for boy, arrived 25/11/2011

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaInLove View Post
    So, do you think it is worthless to do the bsf?
    Not worthless in the sense that it might raise the hostile pH of the vagina and help more sperm to survive, but I think it helps both genders and not one or the other and I don't think that a pH of 9 after a BSF has any bearing at all on the pH around the egg.

It's not necessary if you are making a lot of EWCM - both boys and girls were conceived long before the invention of baking soda/vinegar.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zivic-Bubac View Post
    As I understand it, bsf is done to give the y-swimmers better starting position and lower the number of x-swimmers ( that is if y -swimmers prefer high pH in the first place)
    I get why they do it, but I need to see some hard, compelling evidence that pH affects X and Y sperm differently. That evidence does not exist as of yet - a lot of the 'evidence' is from people selling stuff and not unbiased sources. And it's all based on the ideas of one veterinarian who lived a really long time ago and then Shettles who ran with the idea based on seeing capacitated and uncapacitated sperm in a microscope and mistaking them for Y and X sperm. Until I see this evidence I am operating under the assumption that low sperm numbers = more girls conceived and low pH reduces overall sperm count, rather than the idea that X and Y sperm prefer drastically different pH.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12