Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Freaking out... Anyone have a girl that measured ahead?

I had my ultrasound today and I should have measured 8w 4d. I measured 9w 1d. I know this is well within the margin of error, but I recently read that girls tend to develop slower, so if this is a girl, it should be measuring exact or behind, right??!! Augh, I'm freaking out that this is another boy. Anyone have a girl that measured big this early on?
    My Gender Dream came true, my family is complete!

2007 2011 2014

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am sure it is fine! I am sure there are ladies that have had girls that measured ahead. I doubt your measurements would make you out of the running for a girl.
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Please stop freaking out, Lilith! The baby is who s/he will be. I'm confident that babies of BOTH sexes may measure ahead, behind or exactly on track. Take a deep breath...I hope everything else was well at your U/S and you got to see your baby's hearbeat
    Angie
    (Dec 2006) (May 2007) (April 2008) (June 2009) (Oct 2010)
    Praying for a little to complete our family.
    Utrasound at 18w5d says we are expecting our first daughter!!!

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With my current pregnacy (a girl) I was measuring two days ahead at my 8 week ultrasound, though at 22 weeks and one day (my last u/s so far) I was measuring 22 weeks and one day.

With my last pregnancy for which I knew gender (I had one chromosomally abnormal bean in between) I was measuring 5 days ahead at my CVS (done at 12 weeks). I lost the baby sometime between then and 18 weeks, possibly due to severe IUGR or to placental problems caused by the CVS. The baby was a girl, confirmed by CVS and karyotype done by pathology after the loss.

I have also had two boys, both chromosomally abnormal (again confirmed by karyotype) who measured significantly behind.

And my DD#1, who is a *peanut* and always has been (first percentile for weight now at age 7) measured a couple of days ahead at a 6 week ultrasound. By late pregnancy, she had fallen into the lower percentiles for growth, not because she was unhealthy or had a poor placenta (necessarily) but because she is genetically petite. (Though I really didn't know this about her until years of development showed her to be growing well and consistently, but lightweight and not terribly tall).

I have spent so much time worrying about fetal growth rates when pregnant, and I am very certain that measuring a few days ahead has NOTHING to do with gender.

First of all, early ultrasound is said to have a margin of error of 4 days--the babies they are looking at are MILLIMETERS long, and a tiny slip of the tech's hand while clicking the mouse can change the measurements by a couple of days.

Second of all, healthy female embryos that are metabolically strong can and DO measure ahead on early ultrasounds. Measuring ahead means your baby is more likely to have well-formed chorionic villi, to be well-supplied with nutrients by the developing placenta, to be chromosomally normal, and to be free of major birth defects. It does NOT mean you are having a boy.

Girls do tend to measure smaller than boys at birth, but these differences (like genetic differences in body size) don't really become apparent until much later on--like the third trimester. All embryos start out the same size--a single cell--and those that grow more quickly early on are simply more likely to be healthy and metabollically robust.

I so encourage you to celebrate rather than worry about what you learned from today's ultrasound.
    Last edited by sugarNspice; May 7th, 2014 at 02:48 PM.
    our perfect family:

(8) (5) (almost one)

thank you to atomic for helping make my dreams come true

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the replies. I'm sure I sound like a crazy lady. Sigh... pregnancy hormones make me a little insane. I do feel better hearing that other women carrying girls have measured ahead. I SHOULD be happy that the ultrasound was good. So many ladies have walked away from their early ultrasounds with tears, and I'm freaking out at GOOD news. I just need to be put out of my gender-limbo misery. Then I can focus on the pregnancy itself and the future one way or another.
    My Gender Dream came true, my family is complete!

2007 2011 2014

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    lilith don't feel bad, we have all been there!! Hormones make us crazy and so does the unknown! I bet you anything you have a little girl in there! We had very similar sways so I am extra pulling for you, haha!
    DS 1 2008
    DS 2 2010
    DS 3 2013

May 2014 at 5 weeks

August 2014 at 12 weeks

DD1 our beautiful rainbow baby joined us october 2015. No sway...just miracles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Both of my girls measured ahead, and they were both 9 pounders, don't worry

2007 2008 2012

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Breath in, breath out...everything is going to be ok and you will know the gender in no time at all!

My Gender Dreaming

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by LilithWiser1979 View Post
    I had my ultrasound today and I should have measured 8w 4d. I measured 9w 1d. I know this is well within the margin of error, but I recently read that girls tend to develop slower, so if this is a girl, it should be measuring exact or behind, right??!! Augh, I'm freaking out that this is another boy. Anyone have a girl that measured big this early on?
    I don't know about measuring ahead as with DS1 I didn't pay attention to those things back then lol, but I will tell you I had him at 40 weeks 1 day and he was 6 pounds 11 oz, I had HT DD at 39 weeks (via planned Csection) and she was 8 pounds 3 oz!!

I really hope you get your girl!
    2 Boys 6 & 9 yrs old 6 year old IVF and has NF1 - PGD to test for NF1 and Gender

Cycle #1-August 2010-Transferred 1 Girl= BFN
    Cycle #2- Nov 2010- No Unaffected Females to Transfer No Unaffected Males to Freeze
    Cycle# 3- May 2011- 5 Fertilized --Frozen on Day 2 to Batch with Next Cycle
    Cycle #4- June 2011- Transferred 3 Girls=-BFN
    Cycle#5- September 2011-- Day 5 Biopsy-- Grade A Hatched Blastocyst Girl= BFN
    Cycle #6- Different Doctor-Dr Braverman January 2012-Transferred 3 Girls=BFN
    Cycle #7-April 2012 Transferred 6 Girls =BFN
    Cycle #8-July 2012 Transferred 3 Girls=BFN--WTF!
    Cycle #9-October 2012 Transferred 2 Girls- Beta-=13 Chemical Pregnancy...

April 2013- 40 yrs old- New RE- SIRM-NYC/Westchester- Transferred 2 Girl Blasts & 2 Girl Morulas= BFP!!!!

April 2015- 42 yrs old- SIRM- 1 Girl Transferred- BFP!!

Samantha 12/17/13 8pounds 3oz

Ava 12/28/15 8pounds 4oz

My Miracle..http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ht-f...acle-here.html

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just want you to breath and relax a little. It'll be better for you and better for the baby. I know, I know, easier said than done....and I didn't mean anything negative at all by my response. You are absolutely entitled to feel whatever you are feeling. I'm just wish you could have some peace. blood test is Monday, right? Less than a week away....
    Angie
    (Dec 2006) (May 2007) (April 2008) (June 2009) (Oct 2010)
    Praying for a little to complete our family.
    Utrasound at 18w5d says we are expecting our first daughter!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast