Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atomic! Maca.

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Atomic! Maca.

I'm breastfeeding my daughter who his turned one. I still breastfeed quite a lot and 4 times a night. My cycles are abit crazy and I've had about 4 PPAF. I'd love another girl but ok with either and I'd also love twins. I have a few things in my favour for twins, I've had 4pregnancies, I'm breastfeeding, abit overweight. Is there anything else you'd recommend? I'm cycle day 1 today after spotting for 10days. I've got natures way vitex and I got some Maca powder (recommended by the health shop). I'm nervous to take stuff though especially while nursing. Any advice? TIA

3 1

due Jan 2nd 2014!!! Yay my GIRL

Big Dreamer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've decided not to take any of the extra stuff. Just going to do a lazy girl sway and will just pray for two eggs!! I sort of want to experiment by stopping breastfeeding during the day suddenly for a week (maybe starting from cd 4?) and see if that will kick start ovulation and maybe kick two out? Thoughts? It's more curiosity about it!

3 1

due Jan 2nd 2014!!! Yay my GIRL

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as I know atomic does not approve maca because of some behaviour side affects.
    (2005) (2008) TTCBLUE 2015

It's a girl!!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am not a fan of maca for anybody. I think it is a huge unknown and it supposedly sways blue anyway. (don't take it, blue swayers!)

I personally think you should just nurse your baby as normal and then wait for your cycles to resume. I think that if you play with stopping nursing too much, your milk supply is going to suffer and your baby may self-wean sooner than you intend. It's really the nighttime nursing that inhibits ovulation so you're not necessarily gaining yourself anything. (not saying you should give up night nursing either, just that it seems to have more effect on your body than daytime does)

Weird cycles with lots of spotting, short LP, etc are normal those first few months after you get your cycle back. If you want to, you can start Vitex (take for 12-14 days and then stop even if you don't ovulate).
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really think no one should take Maca, I've seen nothing but bad results from those taking it on FF.

I think the only thing other than clomid that can increase your odss of twins is huge amounts of cassava. But I don't know how much and it may need to be a specific subtupe that isn't easily found in first world markets.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Curious - what are the side effects you have seen???

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mostly, delayed O. Also some similar effects to the downsides of Vitex (spotting, drying up CM) without any of the upsides. I can't remember ever seeing any benefit from Mava in a chart, and the delaying, or even complete inhibition of O, seems more rampant than with any other supplement I've seen. I can't imagine why anyone thinks it's a good fertility supp! But a lot of these new 'super foods' and supps have very little research or even much OWT backing and are just overpriced hype, at best.

My Ovulation Chart

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually tried maca for 5 days and I was spotting mid cycle and it delayed O for me as well. Had headaches too.

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by maidentomother View Post
    Mostly, delayed O. Also some similar effects to the downsides of Vitex (spotting, drying up CM) without any of the upsides. I can't remember ever seeing any benefit from Mava in a chart, and the delaying, or even complete inhibition of O, seems more rampant than with any other supplement I've seen. I can't imagine why anyone thinks it's a good fertility supp! But a lot of these new 'super foods' and supps have very little research or even much OWT backing and are just overpriced hype, at best.
    Could not agree more!! I see people doing and taking and eating and snorting anything that is promoted on a website but it's really important to keep in mind that many of the sites profit considerably from selling the herbs and thus you need to take their recommendations with a grain of salt.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's quite upsetting, many ladies on FF are taking half a dozen different supps, many I've barely heard of it. I understand there's a desire to feel like you're trying something to increase your chances, but more often than not the supps cause problems when there were none to begin with. And it is quite scary in particular bc if you're taking multiple plant extracts in combination, it's like taking hundreds if not thousands of individual, unstudied drugs together. We don't even know what most of these things do. Hopefully not much.

Also, herbs and supps are basically unregulated. It's like pharmaceuticals before the FDA. At best you can stick with well-known brands but even then there will be natural variation in potency from batch to batch if not pill to pill.

The profiteering off what's pure marketing as far as I can see (Maca, Goji, Acai etc) I don't get. These supposed health foods don't even taste good. And they are expensive! My own mother was someone who despite an otherwise very healthy lifestyle (organic pescatarian and fitness nut), was always obsessed with any 'new' discovery and immediately would buy a 3 month supply. I kinda wonder if that contibuted to her getting cancer and dying. It cannot be healthy to take high doses of different, random plant extracts for decades. I remember the last time I saw her, she was taking several HANDFULS of supps daily. She just kept adding stuff!
    Last edited by maidentomother; January 23rd, 2015 at 02:23 PM.

My Ovulation Chart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast