Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Confused OPK newbie - soo confused!

Afternoon

So I'm new to all the O testing - but have been testing for the past week on the 5th it was an obvious neg, 6th faint pos (but obviously there), 7th was really faint (almost non-existent) and then today was really faint again, we have BD'd every night. But still unsure if the faint is as good as it will get? Or is my cycle weird maybe.

I have a 27 day cycle, with a normal AF.

With my first we conceived by BD'ing around ovulation time once, so it was easy..

Any advice?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What CD are you? And what do you mean by 'faint positive'? OPKs aren't like pregnancy tests, the test line needs to be as dark as the control or darker to be considered positive. It sounds like you are still a ways out from O. It's normal to have some variation from day to day. What time of day are you testing? Remember to only compare tests taken around the same time of day, as LH levels fluctuate throughout the day. They usually peak late morning to afternoon, for most women, and your level in urine can be much lower other times of day.

I recommend doing some general googling and reading up on OPKs and how they work. Searching on here will bring up threads similar to yours with detailed answers, too.

If you're swaying blue, just keep BDing every day or at least every other day if you think you might O soon, that way you have multiple attempts no matter what. Plus frequent BD maintains sperm health.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

3. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    THere's no such thing as a "faint positive OPK". If you get a faint line, that is NEGATIVE. An OPK line must be as dark or darker than control line to be positive.

Your body is always making small amounts of the hormone detected by the OPK tests - it uses it for other reasons besides just ovulating.. IF your husband peed on the sticks, he'd get faint lines like that too. It's only when the hormones reach a certain concentration that they trigger ovulation and will register a true positive on an opK.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

5. Likes HealthyBLUE liked this post
    Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also just wanted to mention my Understanding OPK for swaying book here http://genderdreaming.com/forum/payments.php It's packed full of info about using OPK, with a special emphasis on how to use it for swaying

Dream Newbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for your reply I was testing between 11am - 2pm as per the instructions. I didn't realise that the faint lines weren't positives, (instructions don't mention that, grr). I was CD 11, 12, 13, 14. But perhaps since I have a 27 day cycle I may have missed it (thinking I O'd CD 9 or 10) would that be right?

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you may have missed it. But keep in mind that you may also have a short LP (luteal phase) and still haven't Oed yet. If you have a 27 day cycle, it is very unlikely that you ovulate on CD 9-10 because your LP would then be 17-18 days. LP are typically 14 days maximum and can be shorter, so I am not totally sure you're out yet.

Sorry about the bad instructions!!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 28-29 day cycle and usually O around CD17-18. My OPKs often don't darken until right before O.

My Ovulation Chart
    currently TTC, Cycle #16 since last BFP

TTC #1 - swaying pink on & off since Nov 2013 - hoping for a girl first but excited for either!

Dec 2001 - May 2006 : 5 early abortions of healthy singletons (3 medical @5w, 2 surgical @8w, last 4 pregnancies conceived with late DH, all conceived while TTA/on birth control)
    Mar 2012: miscarried B/G twins @5w (conceived 2 cycles after remověng Paraguard copper IUD while NTNP), one twin was ovarian ectopic

Me: 34, widowed, late O + short LP, normal-good hormone levels excepting undetectable testosterone, seeking a known sperm donor/life partner
    My sway: vegetarian LE for over 28w, skipping breakfast, fibre (ground psyllium husks) with/before/between meals, physically inactive, drama avoidance, ocassional minimal YesBaby lube as needed, alternate cycles on low dose Clomid, double shot lattes (with meals)
    Past sway tactics I've dropped (in order): Vitex, Sudafed, antihistamines, intermittent fasting, one attempt per cycle at positive OPK, one attempt in fertile period

10. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post