Dream Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help with blood test results

Anyone know what low lh and fsh levels mean? Thanks!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Day 3 FSH- It can actually be done anywhere from day 2-4 and it is a simple blood test meant to measure the amount of FSH in your blood******. FSH, otherwise known as follicle stimulating hormone, is a hormone that tells oocytes, or premature eggs, to begin growing. Each oocyte is contained within a follicle, or little fluid sac. In general, under 6 is excellent, 6-9 is good, 9-10 fair, 10-13 diminished reserve, 13+ very hard to stimulate

Estradiol(E2)- Also done between days 2 and 4 and 25-75 is considered normal. Levels on the lower end tend to be better for stimulating. Abnormally high levels on day 3 may indicate existence of a functional cyst or diminished ovarian reserve. If your e2 is abnormally high, it can make your FSH appear to be falsely low.

LH-A normal LH level is similar to FSH. An LH that is higher than FSH is one indication of PCOS.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just found this when I did a quick search.....How low were they? Did the Dr. say abnormally low or just lower? I don't know too much about this stuff but will look up some more info if, you'd like
    Let me go look at one of my fertility books....

"In women, FSH and LH levels can help to differentiate between primary ovarian failure (failure of the ovaries themselves) and secondary ovarian failure (failure of the ovaries due to disorders of either the pituitary or the hypothalamus). Increased levels of FSH and LH are consistent with primary ovarian failure. Some causes of primary ovarian failure are listed below.

Developmental defects:

* Failure to develop ovaries (ovarian agenesis)
    * Chromosomal abnormality, such as Turner's syndrome
    * Defect in the steroid production by the ovaries, such as 17 alpha hydroxylase deficiency

Premature ovarian failure due to:

* Radiation
    * Chemotherapy
    * Autoimmune disease

Chronic failure to ovulate (anovulation) due to:

* Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
    * Adrenal disease
    * Thyroid disease
    * Ovarian tumor

When a woman enters menopause and her ovaries stop working, FSH levels will rise.

Low levels of FSH and LH are consistent with secondary ovarian failure due to a pituitary or hypothalamic problem. Low FSH serum levels have been associated with increased risk of ovarian cancer."
    Crunchy Mama to 3 rambunctious boys~ '06 :bike: '08 '10

Our beautiful is here!!

Felina Lilyanne was born at home ~ 4/12!

Dream Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you both for the information! I had my blood tests taken on what was cd 42 (in a cycle of no ovulation) would that affect the levels since it was so late in the cycle? Does it mean the levels are irrelevant as it's so late? Thank you!

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm... For the lh I would say yes it would have a huge effect. Maybe I'm wrong, but once you've ovulated your lh is in your system for awhile(from the surge). So if you had no ovulation, there would be no surge, hence really low lh in the system. Then again....I could be totally wrong. I couldn't find much in my books about this. I hope you get some answers. xoxo
    Crunchy Mama to 3 rambunctious boys~ '06 :bike: '08 '10

Our beautiful is here!!

Felina Lilyanne was born at home ~ 4/12!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know anything about FSH late in a cycle. We only test days 2-4(the HT crowd) when assessing ovarian reserve.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by swish View Post
    Anyone know what low lh and fsh levels mean? Thanks!
    It means exactly what we already knew - you didn't ovulate this month because you lost weight. It's actually good that they are both low...if one was high or the other was high, that could mean you had something wrong with you, but since they are both low, it is almost certainly due to the weight loss. Gain a couple pounds (and I know you're trying very hard to do just that) and things will return to normal. It isn't bad news at all and I hope and pray that you don't worry.

"In women, significant weight loss, up to 10% below the ideal body weight, may lead to functional hypothalamic amenorrhea."

"Women who go through significant weight loss, dieting, or perform considerable amounts of exercise on a regular basis are at risk of developing hypothalamic (or 'athletic') amenorrhoea. It was thought for many years that low body fat levels and exercise related chemicals (such as beta endorphins and catecholamines) disrupt the interplay of the sex hormones oestrogen and progesterone. However, recent studies have shown that there are no differences in the body composition, or hormonal levels in amenorrhoeic athletes as compared to regularly cycling athletes. Instead, amenorrhoea has been shown to be directly attributable to a low energy availability. Many women who diet or who exercise at a high level do not take in enough calories to expend on their exercise as well as to maintain their normal menstrual cycles."
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Dream Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, dm, that's so sweet of you to try and find out for me, x
    Thank you, atomic, in a way that's reassuring and i have now put on a few pounds so hopefully I'm back on track, now I just have to maintain it! I'm trying not to worry but I'll be a lot happier when I cam return to my pre swaying healthier diet!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm glad things seem back on track for you!!!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ