Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Abstinence and birth defects

Im sorry if this has already been asked but Im curious to know if abstinence in a 34 would be a bad idea. Im worried after reading some info about abstinence in older men increasing the risk of genetic issues being passed on and birth defects. I know 34 is young but it got me worried.....

We were hoping to do O+12 with abstinence from af.
    Many thanks.
    my amazing baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not seen any specific studies, but I do know some exist that show a link with abstaining in older men and increase in birth defects. Generally this is 35+, so your DH should be fine but it's your call

O+12 is very risky to time (i.e. leave it slightly too late and you miss the egg altogether) - do you temp?

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had some concern about abstaining (we are both barely 30). But also about dtd to early like 6-7+days before O.

I best study I found said that the risk are greatly lowered if both parents are on a healthy diet that includes vitamins that help with fertility when taken for at least 3mths before trying. Most of the vitamins for swaying blue are good for boosting the egg and sperm. A and E are good in low doses but should be stopped before AF, for swaying pink.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rainbow im doing O+12 because my cycles aren't regular enough to do a cut off.
    I am still bf my 13mo ds so I can't take vitex to regulate. They seem to fluctuate around 30 days but I just wouldn't feel confident with a cutoff again as that's what we tried to do with ds but i o'd early. Plus we were using preseed and i had a somewhat boyish diet, I didn't know about swaying then. Im also tossing up fr bd and just going straight through from af to past O. Will be difficult but I have friends that swear they conceived their girls with fr bd and i mean twice a day as opposed to infrequent bd with their boys. Im 27 so not sure if it'll make any difference to the outcome. My mum had 5 boys in a row before me so Im def only having 2 children lol
    my amazing baby

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So your cycle is around 30 days? Making AF to O aproximatly 9 days? I think this is a bit too long, 4-5 days would be better. IMO FR would be even better, i got my DD DTD every second day all month and got PG 1st month trying at 30yrs old.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i think they are normal risks that we all face regardless of age or release frequency.
    they are only increased slightly by age.

my eldest son has mild autism. (autism is one of the things they say can be caused by older fathers.)
    and he was conceived with us DTD at least twice a day every day.
    hubby was 35 at the time.
    the next 3 were less BD each conception, and they are all totally fine perfect little boys.
    im not sure about this one yet, things all looked fine on the last scan, but this was a one shot deal after 7 days abstinence, and 7 days abstinence before that. and hubby will be 44 next month. i am 28.

i know perfectly healthy young couples, in their 20s ,who ended up with downs children , severe autism, and even malformation.
    i think its just luck of the draw.

but i do agree, the more frequent release, the more healthy the sperm, which is what we all want really isnt it...
    2003 2006 2008 2009 2010 2012
    Expecting #6 April 2014

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No af to o is around 16 days or so it'd be around 11 days from the end of bleeding to O we did every second day bd with my son but only bd 3 times in total that month and got pg. So confused. I was deadset on abstinence and O+12 but now im second guessing myself :/
    my amazing baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TickledPinkButLoveMyBlue View Post
    Rainbow im doing O+12 because my cycles aren't regular enough to do a cut off.
    I am still bf my 13mo ds so I can't take vitex to regulate. They seem to fluctuate around 30 days but I just wouldn't feel confident with a cutoff again as that's what we tried to do with ds but i o'd early. Plus we were using preseed and i had a somewhat boyish diet, I didn't know about swaying then. Im also tossing up fr bd and just going straight through from af to past O. Will be difficult but I have friends that swear they conceived their girls with fr bd and i mean twice a day as opposed to infrequent bd with their boys. Im 27 so not sure if it'll make any difference to the outcome. My mum had 5 boys in a row before me so Im def only having 2 children lol
    my cycles are irregular too
    timing doesn't seem to sway at all given all the numerous studies that have been done into it, you could always try and BD at a pos OPK if you want a small 1-2 day cut off, or wait until a pos OPK and BD through OV

I do think that frequency sways more, but I don't think it sways drastically. Diet seems to sway the most!

if you have diet and frequency sorted, I'd just aim to do timing that will enable you to get pregnant more easily(i.e. closer to/on OV day)

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Rainbow. def don't want to wait for opk as that's what happened with ds so trying to do something different. Thank you for the info though
    my amazing baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TickledPinkButLoveMyBlue View Post
    Thanks Rainbow. def don't want to wait for opk as that's what happened with ds so trying to do something different. Thank you for the info though
    even though that's what you did then, it doesn't mean that that sways blue. Some studies even show more girls conceived on OV day and some studies show more girls conceived during the LH surge (that causes a pos OPK) than boys. More likely you had other blue-swaying factors in your lifestyle back then, although even with a perfect pink sway you can still get an opposite so that wouldn't prove that what you were doing was bad for pink.

trying for a cut off or attempting O+12 both mean you risk not conceiving at all, but timing doesn't seem to sway either way (or almost all studies would find similar results, but they don't)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast