Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I was all set to start my clomid cycle for next month....then I realized that my doc had never given me my AMH results. I got the results back for a couple of other things that he tested me for and they all came back normal. I e-mailed my doc's office about my AMH results and he e-mailed me back saying they were 1.38. He didn't tell me the value though whether this was ng/ml or something else. So I looked on google and apparently 1.38 is really bad and I see women on there saying that they are considered infertile and are having to do ivf to get a baby. How can this be when I am only 26 and just had a baby? So I e-mailed the doc back and asked if 1.38 was low and if I should be concerned. He replied "Yes, 1.38 is low for your age (26). The mean AMH for infertile women your age is 4". That was the entire e-mail. Literally didn't say anything else. So then e-mailed him back again and said, "So what does this mean? What do I do?". He then replied "If you have additional questions then please schedule an appt". I am SO frustrated, stressed, and distraught. I am finding conflicting information online. Some say anyhting above 1 in "normal" and others say it is bad. I can't believe my doctor is so rude that he can't take 2 seconds to explain to me what this all means. Is he still going to give me clomid? If I ovualte every month then how does AMH matter? Am I infertile now? Was my son a miracle baby or something? I have SO many questions! Am I being punished for placing so much importance on ttc a girl when it now looks like I will just be lucky to have another baby at all? Sorry for the rant and I know this question isn't exactly gender related but any information about AMH would be much appreciative. Because this doctor has been so unresponsive I called the office and demanded to have an appt with someone else on Monday to get answers...also I am still unclear about whether or not they are letting me do clomid. However now I have to go into the weekend worrying about this stupid AMH thing!

TTC a Fall 2012 (Starting in Sept!)

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are in the USA, your AMH is just fine. You have to know what scale the measurement is based. .75 is the minimum most RE's like to see and anything above that is okay. Here in the States, we use this scale- AMH Fertility Test, Anti-Mullerian Hormone

and over 1.0 is NORMAL. So, I think at 26 with a normal AMH, you are not infertile.

In the HT section, we have our AMH checked and I can tell you from all the fertile girls on there, it is all over the place. It is very common to see an AMH around .7-1.something. Over 3 indicated possible PCOS so it is a very small range. I can also tell you is varies although your RE will probably say it doesn't. I had mine retested and it went from .75 to 1.25 so it can absolutely change.

Have you been TTC long?
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi there! Yes I am in the United States! California to be exact. Thank you so much for responding! This is going to sound dumb but I haven't even tried yet. We were going to have our first try be next month (we are swaying for a girl). I have an 8 month old son already who was conceived spontaneously. I have been tracking my cycles for 6 months now in preparation for the sway and ttc baby#2. I notice that I ovulate late and that I have sort of a short luteal phase (10 days) and so that is why I went to the doc. He looked at my ovaries via ultrasound and said everything looked normal and even confirmed that I did in fact ovulate recently. He decided to also go ahead and run some blood work ...one of those things was AMH and that is when he e-mailed me saying it was 1.38 and that it was low for my age. I have seen scales that say above 1 is normal like you have mentioned but then how come he said it is bad? Does AMH matter if I am ovulating every month? Doesn't it just mean I have less eggs? I see in your signature that you did IVF...is that because you had low AMH? I have had a baby naturally before so its hard for me to think that I will need ivf to have baby #2. Were you given clomid first? Sorry for all the questions!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nuthinbutpink already answered your question but I just wanted to reiterate, PLEASE don't worry too much about your AMH number at 26 years old. AMH is one of the newest tests out there and even the experts aren't really sure what it means - they used to swear that AMH couldn't change and yet we've seen several people whose AMH numbers have gone up, so we know that's simply not the case. It is a bit low for your age but then again like NBP mentions, there is more than one way to measure and there is a lot of confusion even amongst experts - people are told one thing by one doctor, then another thing by another doctor.

Another thing to keep in mind is that to TTC naturally, you only NEED one egg to show up every month. AMH is a lot more important for those who are going HT because they are trying to coax their ovaries to produce as many eggs as is possible - swayers only need that one egg each month and you can def. produce a normal amount of eggs for many years to come, even with less than ideal AMH. The Clomid may very well help with that, but he should also take a look at your FSH numbers (and may have already) because Clomid can sometimes aggravate high FSH numbers. At 26, you should be fine to do Clomid and I suspect your FSH is probably great.

You are NOT being punished for wanting a baby of a certain gender - if so none of us would have our babies!!!
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    If you are in the USA, your AMH is just fine. You have to know what scale the measurement is based. .75 is the minimum most RE's like to see and anything above that is okay. Here in the States, we use this scale- AMH Fertility Test, Anti-Mullerian Hormone

and over 1.0 is NORMAL. So, I think at 26 with a normal AMH, you are not infertile.

In the HT section, we have our AMH checked and I can tell you from all the fertile girls on there, it is all over the place. It is very common to see an AMH around .7-1.something. Over 3 indicated possible PCOS so it is a very small range. I can also tell you is varies although your RE will probably say it doesn't. I had mine retested and it went from .75 to 1.25 so it can absolutely change.

Have you been TTC long?
    I just had a client who had AMH lower than one conceive a baby girl at the age of 38 after being told there was no hope! All she did differently was LE Diet and acupuncture!!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by wantagirly23 View Post
    Hi there! Yes I am in the United States! California to be exact. Thank you so much for responding! This is going to sound dumb but I haven't even tried yet. We were going to have our first try be next month (we are swaying for a girl). I have an 8 month old son already who was conceived spontaneously. I have been tracking my cycles for 6 months now in preparation for the sway and ttc baby#2. I notice that I ovulate late and that I have sort of a short luteal phase (10 days) and so that is why I went to the doc. He looked at my ovaries via ultrasound and said everything looked normal and even confirmed that I did in fact ovulate recently. He decided to also go ahead and run some blood work ...one of those things was AMH and that is when he e-mailed me saying it was 1.38 and that it was low for my age. I have seen scales that say above 1 is normal like you have mentioned but then how come he said it is bad? Does AMH matter if I am ovulating every month? Doesn't it just mean I have less eggs? I see in your signature that you did IVF...is that because you had low AMH? I have had a baby naturally before so its hard for me to think that I will need ivf to have baby #2. Were you given clomid first? Sorry for all the questions!
    Yes, all it really means is that you ~MAY~ have less eggs in reserve than the average 26 year old. I really really hope you can not worry too much over this. I do not think you are infertile in any way (of course, your son is a miracle baby, they all are! )

Your doctor really did not say that your AMH was "bad", he said that it was below the mean. The mean is like the average of all 26 year olds, so some people are lower and others higher and you're just a little below the average person. It doesn't imply that you're infertile or going into menopause or anything of the sort. People get pg every day with low AMH, even women in their 40's who typically have a lot worse prospects than you do!

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    THANK you both so much for the kind words and reassurance! I have a doc appt Monday with a diff doctor in the practice to find out more info and to see if we are still proceeding with our original plan to do Clomid. I hope they still let me

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep us updated! Good luck.

Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey ladies. So I just came from the worst docs appt ever. Went there to discuss the low AMH issue. As you may recall it was 1.38.She said that I have the ovarian reserve of a 39 year old and that I probably did get lucky conceiving my son no problem. I asked her if this just meant I had less eggs or if it effected quality as well and she believed both...although I have read online that Amh says nothing about egg quality. She stated that there is no way to know for sure that quality is effected but its an indicator that it is. Anyways long story short she thinks we should get cracking on having another baby and not waste anymore time. She wants me to try a couple more cycles on our own since I am ovulating on my own supposively....and then if that doesn't work she said she will do a monitored Clomid cycle. So the problem is that I was planning on having our first attempt be in Sept but now with this new info....sounds like we shouldn't' be wasting any cycles. I am due to ovulate in 10 days and my Dh and I have decided to try this cycle. I have not been doing the girl diet really at all. In fact I had a burger 2 nights ago and last night had pasta! The most salty things ever! This is because I wasn't' planning on really starting the diet until another week or so. I thought our first attempt was 4-6 weeks away! The good thing I guess is that I have been taking magnesium and calcium supplements the past month and making an effort to drink more milk, diet soda, and crystal lite. DH and I had sex 2 nights ago and that was the last time. So if I ovulate in 10 days that will put us at 12 days abstinence if we still try to sway girl. Any suggestions on what else/more I can do on such short notice? Should I just forget the whole swaying thing in light of this information? Any advice would be much appreciated. I still can't believe that at 26 years old with all other blood tests normal that this is happening to me. FSH, estrogen, etc all normal. Progesterone was a 12 last cycle after ovulation which wss good too. She said that if I really wanted to they would retest me for amh and I said yes so they are going to test that again just to double check...but she is pretty sure it was accurate

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Do not worry one bit about the burger, pasta, or sodium.

I personally think your doc is being a little bit alarmist esp. if your FSH is good.

For the most part I don't think people on Clomid should do much swaying aside from diet but if you really want to try abstain for the first month, that's ok, it's just that if you don't get pg it should be dropped.

Here are two threads you should read, one is the general Clomid info thread and the other is how to adjust your sway while on Clomid.

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gend...91-clomid.html
    http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gend...-part-2-a.html

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast