Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

8 PROBE FISH OR 5 PROBE FISH ??? - PGD

Hello,

With 8 probe fish, the chromosomes can be damaged more than with a 5 probe fish ?? ???

And if this is correct, then in the test of 8 probe fish may happen that an embryo that is healthy the result is NO healthy (so you have a false negative).

??????????

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You should NEVER test more than 5 probes with FISH. It is not accurate and the odds of a NT are very high when you wash the cell, start over again and apply more dye to test the additional 3 probes. Nobody here in the US does that anymore because it is very outdated and has been shown not to improve the pregnancy rate. 5 probe for sure!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nuthinbutpink,

But then why they offer, in **** the 8 probe fish ?? is not logical if you say that is not good?? I don't understand ??

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nuthinbutpink,

What is NT?

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They are not the most current in the Industry. You'll have to ask them that. There's no way anyone should use more FISH probes than 5. You are doing this for gender not for recurrent pregnancy loss.

FISH has an error rate of 10% per probe. If you use 8, odds are there will be a false positive in the bunch.

FISH is being phased out here, Australia and any other modern medical community. It has been proven not to help pregnancy rates so use as few probes as you can and remember that all you really need to know is gender!
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No Transfer. They can all test abnormal even though they may be normal due to the known error rate with FISH.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ok thank you very much.

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FISH is taking a 3D entity and flattening it out to view on a slide. They apply dye to highlight the specific chromosomes. If one chromosome is laying on top of the the other (say 2 chromosome XX), it could look like a single X female and be labeled Turner's when in fact, it could be a totally healthy girl. Any monosomy with FISH has a very high likelihood of being normal IMO. The more probes you use, the higher the chance that this occurs. The other scenario is that the chromosome fails to take the dye and doesn't light up making the cell/embryo seem abnormal.

FISH is totally fine when used properly to identify gender unless the above scenario occurs(not seeing 2 XX). It would be labeled abnormal but no opposite would result.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK thankyou,

I will say to the Dr. In **** that I only want an 5 probe fish.

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    FISH is taking a 3D entity and flattening it out to view on a slide. ... Any monosomy with FISH has a very high likelihood of being normal IMO. The more probes you use, the higher the chance that this occurs.

FISH is totally fine when used properly to identify gender unless the above scenario occurs(not seeing 2 XX). It would be labeled abnormal but no opposite would result.
    Hi Nuthingbutpink,

you seem to know a lot about the FISH method. Thats great because perhaps you could answer me one more question:
    If they tell me for exemple they had 1 abnormal XX embryo, can they test it again (I would pay for that) - just to be sure? Or isn't this possible? I hope you understand what I mean.

Oh, and what do I have to know about
    Day 3 or 5 testing (PGD with FISH)? What is good / bad?

Thanks!
    Last edited by letibe77; January 25th, 2013 at 06:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast