Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

How soon after birth to try IVF?

We are currently 11 wks with DD and so are totally not in the clear yet with her! Pregnancy is so hard and complex. I'm wondering whether for our next one whether we consider IVF with PGD, and if so, what is the recommended time I need to consider after giving birth? Considering natural birth and BF so that might lower the child spacing time. We've always wanted 2 under 2 if possible and even though we had a lot of fun conceiving our first naturally, we're thinking, why not just get straight to the point for the next one?

Any recs for NY area? Looked at many reviews for Dr Braverman, SIRM and RMA NY.

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I know on the other forums...a lot of women do CNY. Since most of us who do ivf for gs need at least two cycles, they are one of the most affordable that I've seen.

Do you mean 11 weeks pregnant or she's 11 weeks old?

You will need to have her weaned for at least a month or two before you cycle. I cycled once while DS3 (2.5) was still night nursing and we ended up with no embryos that made it to pgs, even though my bloodwork and everything had been totally normal, and I had gotten pregnant successfully while breastfeeding with my other kids. I personally wouldn't wean before a year, just because I personally would have felt guilty about weaning my first early to get pregnant again. (In our case, I did breastfeed him for the shortest of all my kids, but it was still 15 months--he weaned when I was pregnant and hospitalized for a week with cellulitis in my hand.)

As long as you don't have a c-section, the timing isn't too important as far as space between deliveries. If you do/did have a c-section, they advise you to wait at least 6 months, but a year is better.

My DS1 and DS2 are 18 months apart. It was really hard when DS2 was a baby (he's always been super high maintenance) and we also had a young toddler. It's really nice now because they usually play really well together and get along.

3. Thanks shiroshiro, atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the tips about weaning. How many eggs did you retrieve even though you were still breastfeeding?

I'm 11 wks pregnant! Way early to be OCD planning it seems... but it's important for us to plan because both DH and I have jobs which require licencing schemes, and so every "time" I'm pregnant, I find it harder to sit exams and get credits etc. Already lost one other pregnancy and it wiped me out for a year (lapsed exam times, passing up opportunities to attend credit sessions etc).

I read about CNY, but I'm in NYC so Syracuse is still fairly far.

Has anyone heard of Shady Grove? They have a 6 cycles for fixed fee ~20k and a money back guarantee if you "don't bring a baby home"... Down in Phily so it's closer to NYC.
    Last edited by shiroshiro; January 21st, 2019 at 06:37 PM.

5. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an update that Shady Grove no longer offers GS (read on another forum).

7. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    CNY also does retrievals and transfers in Albany fyi. But yes, waiting a year post birth is generally recommended. There is a FB group about cycling while breastfeeding that is pretty good, and people definitely do it to success, but forewarning that it's a group primarily for women with infertility so GS talk wouldn't fly there.

9. Thanks atomic sagebrush thanked for this post
    Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway_panther View Post
    CNY also does retrievals and transfers in Albany fyi. But yes, waiting a year post birth is generally recommended. There is a FB group about cycling while breastfeeding that is pretty good, and people definitely do it to success, but forewarning that it's a group primarily for women with infertility so GS talk wouldn't fly there.
    Thanks Throwaway_panther. Noted about GS... it's such a hard topic because it's something that runs so deep yet is probably some of our biggest secrets.

Hope your little girl is going well!

Swaying Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always recommend PGD for anyone younger than 35 (if you're older than 35, this isn't a dealbreaker, just that you should have your testing done before you decide to see how your egg quality is looking...but 38+ and your success rates are not going to be stellar, and you may be better off swaying, anyone who's curious hit me with your unique situation and I'llb e better able to respond individually)

Doctors like you to wait at least 6 months and not be breastfeeding for at least 6-8 weeks before having pretesting done.
    !!! Questions?? Check out the NEW and improved Complete Index !!!

If you appreciate my help with your sway plan, please consider a donation:

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=C92U9TVWTRTDQ

Big Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by shiroshiro View Post
    Thanks for the tips about weaning. How many eggs did you retrieve even though you were still breastfeeding?

I'm 11 wks pregnant! Way early to be OCD planning it seems... but it's important for us to plan because both DH and I have jobs which require licencing schemes, and so every "time" I'm pregnant, I find it harder to sit exams and get credits etc. Already lost one other pregnancy and it wiped me out for a year (lapsed exam times, passing up opportunities to attend credit sessions etc).

I read about CNY, but I'm in NYC so Syracuse is still fairly far.

Has anyone heard of Shady Grove? They have a 6 cycles for fixed fee ~20k and a money back guarantee if you "don't bring a baby home"... Down in Phily so it's closer to NYC.
    It was my first cycle, we actually got more that cycle than the one after we had night weaned, but again, nothing to test so how many didn't really matter. I think it was something like 12 the first time and 10 the second time or something pretty similar.
    (2009)
    (2011- IUI and femara) (2012), (8/2015) (sway opposite) 2019
    HT 2018- Feb - 12 retrieved- 0 embies made it to PGS testing
    April- 10 retrieved- 1 5AB embryo made it to testing- normal XX!!!! July FET- BFP!!! DD born 2019

13. Likes atomic sagebrush liked this post