Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dramabird View Post
    My favorite recent purchase for DS2 was a blue onesie that had a picture of a chocolate muffin with sprinkles and said "Stud Muffin." I thought it was adorable and a great way to get a boy take on the cutesy cupcake thing. I like that so much than things like "Boy: A noise covered in dirt" or something else that, while kind of funny, was really just insult-wrapped-in-a-joke.

Over on InGender, I once grumped about the old "sugar and spice" vs. "snips and snails" rhymes:

So, as the mom of two sweet little boys, I've decided I'm kind of offended at the declaration that they are supposedly made of "snips/snakes and snails and puppy dog tails." If you think of it, it's kind of gross. And why do little girls get to corner the market on "sugar and spice and everything nice"? My sons love snickerdoodle cookies just as much as anyone in a dress!

Both phrases are stereotypes, but the girls get the positive side and the boys negative. Not fair! Would it be okay if I were to promote the phrase "Pouts and tears and kitten ears ... that's what little girls are made of"? Nope.

Or would it be acceptable if I went the other way and offered an complimentary and exclusive one for Team Blue: "Brawn and brains and financial gains ... that's what little boys are made of"? Certainly not.

Bearing in mind, I would love a little girl, so none of that is a slam against girls ... it's a slam against the fashion and marketing industries. Oh, and I was so mad around Father's Day time ... at Walgreens, they had EIGHTEEN "From Daughter to Daddy" choices in the card section and ZERO "From Son to Daddy" (and it's not that they were out of stock -- they had no spaces for them at all). Explain that, Gallup poll!
    I was lucky to find 2 card for the grandpas and 1 for daddy... very lucky that the one for dada was a CARS one because the boys love that movie. And it is sad that the fathers day gifts suck because they always put out the cheap shirts and fishing stuff. But mothers day is all about diamonds, gold hearts, and pricy girly things. Hubby got a new BBQ for Fathers Day.
    2007 2008 2009 2010
    2012 twin

DADDY wants

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoet20 View Post
    One thing I hate about girls is the whining it drives me nuts. I have even smacked my sister in the back of the head (she was13) bacause she started whining when our dad said she had to stay home for the evening because family was over for dinner (me, hubby and DS1)... That girly whine is killer and I understand a toddler doing but I hate when teens or adults do it.

Boys are easier as teens because all you really have to worry about is them being stupid and getting hurt.
    Lol, if only I had sons that don't whine! After rasing my first son for nearly 8 years, I disagree that 'boys whine less.' He is biggest whinger of all my kids! Seriously, there are days where he is Drama King Supreme. Seriously, he can rival a girl with PMS and even win. My own daughter is still a baby, so I can't really say mcuh about her, but I can tell you this; she was alot easier as a baby than either of my sons were. I don't think that whining is exlusively for girls or boys (my second son is a pretty easy/sweet kid). I think it's all to do with personality.

But I do agree with you comment on this: 'and very few parents try to raise a girl right' - you are right on this! Alot of girls are spoiled rotten and it's really sad to see.

And to the original poster - I see nothing shocking about this really. I grew up in a community where pretty much EVERYONE wanted (and still wants) sons.
    '04 '07 '10

After ages of praying for a sister for DD, I am proud to announce the birth of my twin baby GIRLS born Oct 31st.

Dream Vet
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dramabird View Post
    My favorite recent purchase for DS2 was a blue onesie that had a picture of a chocolate muffin with sprinkles and said "Stud Muffin." I thought it was adorable and a great way to get a boy take on the cutesy cupcake thing. I like that so much than things like "Boy: A noise covered in dirt" or something else that, while kind of funny, was really just insult-wrapped-in-a-joke.

Over on InGender, I once grumped about the old "sugar and spice" vs. "snips and snails" rhymes:

So, as the mom of two sweet little boys, I've decided I'm kind of offended at the declaration that they are supposedly made of "snips/snakes and snails and puppy dog tails." If you think of it, it's kind of gross. And why do little girls get to corner the market on "sugar and spice and everything nice"? My sons love snickerdoodle cookies just as much as anyone in a dress!

Both phrases are stereotypes, but the girls get the positive side and the boys negative. Not fair! Would it be okay if I were to promote the phrase "Pouts and tears and kitten ears ... that's what little girls are made of"? Nope.

Or would it be acceptable if I went the other way and offered an complimentary and exclusive one for Team Blue: "Brawn and brains and financial gains ... that's what little boys are made of"? Certainly not.

Bearing in mind, I would love a little girl, so none of that is a slam against girls ... it's a slam against the fashion and marketing industries. Oh, and I was so mad around Father's Day time ... at Walgreens, they had EIGHTEEN "From Daughter to Daddy" choices in the card section and ZERO "From Son to Daddy" (and it's not that they were out of stock -- they had no spaces for them at all). Explain that, Gallup poll!
    I wish that people would just get rid of these annoying stereotypes for both and girls! And I wish the fashion industry would make more nicer clothes for boys. The shops I shop at have very few nice clothes (that I like) for my boys and it makes me quite frustrated.
    '04 '07 '10

After ages of praying for a sister for DD, I am proud to announce the birth of my twin baby GIRLS born Oct 31st.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12