Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Embryo quality and stimulation

Hi,
    I have heard that embryo quality is in relation with the spot you do your stimulation shot. Is this true?

For example:I do my menopur shots in the muscle in my but. The embryos were severe fragmented. Some people say its better to do it it the leg in muscle instead of the but.

Who is right?

TIA

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm obviously not Carole but Menopur is a subcutaneous med and I thought all of those are in the lower abdomen, alternating sides. Intra-muscular injections go in the muscle like you mention- your butt or leg muscle.

I used Repronex, which is the same and did all of them in my abdomen, alternating sides. The only one I did in my backside is PIO.

Menopur Injection Instructions
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Become a Dream Member to access the private forums

Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nuthinbutpink View Post
    I'm obviously not Carole but Menopur is a subcutaneous med and I thought all of those are in the lower abdomen, alternating sides. Intra-muscular injections go in the muscle like you mention- your butt or leg muscle.

I used Repronex, which is the same and did all of them in my abdomen, alternating sides. The only one I did in my backside is PIO.

Menopur Injection Instructions
    Hi Everyone,
    I have never heard that the site of administration had anything to do with embryo quality, assuming that you are getting the right dose in --so just follow the instructions of your IVF nurse for each med and it shouldn't be a problem. Fragmentation is not well understood. We have seen fragmentation in young patients who go on to become pregnant and have a healthy baby. Older patients with the same fragmentation may have poorer results- most likely due to other age-related factors, not the fragmentation per se.
    Hope this helps, Carole.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In the paper what comes with the menopur (I don't know the name in English) is written that you can use it intra musculair or sub cutaneous. Last cycle (where my son is born from) dr Savvas preferred intra musculair and said in the but. But the embryos were fragmented so I thought maybe this cycle in June I will do it in the muscle in my leg if that's better.

But I understand I makes no difference right?

Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    NBP I read the instruction in English what you posted. I will check the Dutch instruction. If I can I will make a photo of it then you can see it can insert in the muscle too. Strange huh?!?!

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Menopur just has to get under the skin- subcutaneous. It means just under the skin.

The needle you are using for them may not even be long enough to reach the muscle.

You can do them in the upper butt if you want to but the majority of patients do them in the abdomen.

From the Wiki page for subcutaneous injection-

The outer area of the upper arm.

Just above and below the waist, except the area right around the navel (a 2-inch circle).

The upper area of the buttock, just behind the hip bone.

The front of the thigh, midway to the outer side, 4 inches below the top of the thigh to 4 inches above the knee.

The injection should be given under the skin. This is what it says about going into the muscle when it is a SubQ injection-

Gather gently about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of skin between your thumb and first finger creating a slight mound of skin taking care not to bruise or damage the tissue. Warning: When gathering your skin, do not gather any muscle tissue. Subcutaneous medications are not intended for injection into muscle and may result in bleeding into the muscle tissue
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

It's better to look back on life and say: "I can't believe I did that" than to look back and say "I wish I did that".

New to IVF/PGD for Family Balancing? Read this- Understanding IVF/PGD- a HT Guide for those New to the IVF/PGD Process

Need a Natural Swaying Plan? Naturally sway for a boy or a girl- Personalized Swaying Plans

Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok i made a photo of the instruction in Dutch. I took it right now out the box of menopur.

They write you can insert het "in de spier" that's the muscle ("menopur in de spier injecteren"). And then the picture of the upper leg or but.

image.jpg

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But right above that are the subcutaneous instructions!

"onderhuids" means subcutaneous

Maybe people do them in the muscle. For me, all stims were subcutaneous and given in the abdomen with a short needle not designed to hit the muscle.

The PIO needles were way longer and designed to penetrate the muscle when injecting.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I know its possible to do it sub with the sort needles. But dr Savvas prefers in the muscle in the but. That's what I did in my 2 previous cycles.

I did get longer needles from my phamasist to inject intramusculair.

But my question is is there a difference between the but or leg intramusculair or is it the same for quality of the egg/embryo? Maybe I should do it this time in the legg (intra muscular) instead of but?

IVF Advice Coach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From the maker of Menopur's website-

Absorption
    The SC route of administration trends toward greater bioavailability than the IM route for single and multiple doses of Menopur®.

So, subcutaneous injections are preferred according to the manufacturer.
    Mom to

and my IVF/PGD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast